Author Topic: Fuel system '70 Cuda, stock tank, welded sump  (Read 3665 times)

Offline drag-n-cuda

Fuel system '70 Cuda, stock tank, welded sump
« on: October 01, 2007 - 12:52:51 PM »
Guys,
    Has anyone done an electric fuel system with a stock tank with welded sump and external pump that can clear tailpipes.  I've been told my installation could use some improvement and am looking for suggestion for those that have "been there, done that".

Thanks,
drag-n

Offline matt63

Re: Fuel system '70 Cuda, stock tank, welded sump
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007 - 02:01:06 PM »
That is similar to my set-up except I am still using the stock pick-up.  It works fine.  The only "less than ideal" point that I see is that it appears that the pump is not below the bottom of the tank.  Mine is similar and hasn't been a problem on the street but I never run the tank below half anyway.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline asm74

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007 - 04:26:09 PM »
I'm still new at all of this, but I just installed a similar setup in my challenger, using the stock tank and a 3/8" sending unit.  I mounted my pump at the "tow hook" at the frame rail, very close to where yours is.  However, I think I mounted my pump higher, and there shouldn't be an exhaust clearance problem, but I might run turnouts or side exit anyway. I got a carter electric fuel pump that is loud as hell, but doesn't seem to have a problem pushing the fuel. 

Has anybody measured the clearance from the tank - tailpipe - frame rail?
73 Challenger

Offline matt63

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007 - 05:02:16 PM »
... I got a carter electric fuel pump that is loud as hell, but doesn't seem to have a problem pushing the fuel. 

Has anybody measured the clearance from the tank - tailpipe - frame rail?
I run a Mallory 110 with a return line.  It's quiet.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline drag-n-cuda

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007 - 09:55:10 AM »
I'm looking to install a return line over the winter.  If you look at the tank in the upper right hand corner next to the braided line you'll notice a hole.  That's the 1/2" npt female for the fitting.  I'd like to put on exhaust tips out the back one of these days and don't want any safety problems.

Thanks,
drag-n

Offline matt63

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007 - 10:38:47 AM »
Doesn't the welded sump have 2 ports, 1 for outlet and 1 return?
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline drag-n-cuda

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007 - 12:39:03 PM »
matt63,
    The 2 fittings in the sump are outlets only.  There would be too much "head" pressure created by the fuel in the tank for the return to work correctly, if at all.  The second outlet could be for a separate fuel system for nitrous.  The return should be a high on the tank as possible, and exit into an "air space" in the tank.  Returns in fuel cell are in the top of the cell, but since I have a stock tank against a floor, I've got to do the next best thing.

drag-n

Offline matt63

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007 - 06:07:28 PM »
I would sure be interested in seeing other installs as well as I do need to add a return line connection to my stock tank this winter.  Right now I'm using the puny vent line on the sending unit which was a temporary deal.  I could weld a 3/8" nozzle on the passenger side of the tank or add a sump like yours.  According to Mallory, the pressure in the return line is supposed to be less than 3 or 4 psi.  The head pressure in the tank is less than 1 foot which is less than 1/3 psi so it should work.  That said, I may decide to add the 3/8" return on the passenger side as it's less work than welding in the sump but not a lot as the tank still has to come out and get purged.  It's mainly just a matter of aesthetics for me as I want the car to look as stock as possible.  A fuel cell would provide a much better set-up but I don't want to go there.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007 - 07:17:39 PM »
I have a setup with just using the stock pickup. I do have another tank however i'll add a sump to one day and go that route
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link