Author Topic: Bad gas?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline WhiteFish

Bad gas?
« on: October 01, 2007 - 03:34:20 PM »
cuda has been running real nice all year, was planning to put it in storage today (snow isn't far off around here).  It's running like sh!t.  won't idle, gutless, missing, no loud backfires.  Just started trouble shooting, checked the distributor cap and all the plug wire connections, floats are not stuck open.  I just filled it up with premium and the station I went to had their premium pump broken down for at least 6 months, which shouldn't be long enough to go bad, but it seems like the next obvious variable.  I have good MSD wires and ignition system.  Timing chain has maybe 5000 miles on it.  I'll check the timing next, the distributor is tight.  What the hell am I gonna do with 25 gallons of bad gas?  I could use it to burn down the gas station (if I can get it to ignite) after they refuse to give my money back. :feedback:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Bad gas?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007 - 04:05:26 PM »
Drain a little out & see what you have....stations tank sitting for 6-months could have accumulated water just from condensation.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007 - 04:13:11 PM »
Depending on the formulation of the gas, it could go bad in a month (at least it seems that way here in CA). But I agree with bullit that there is probably water in it from the pump being broken for so long. You could setup an electric pump to push the fuel through a diesel water seperator filter and into a gas can 5 gallons at a time, other than that, I don't know what you would do with it. Maybe call the gas station and see what they will do for you??
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007 - 06:45:41 PM »
I'm not sure of your location, but there is something here in "The States" that is called dry gas. It's something added to your gas tank to absorb the water. I don't know if this is your problem, but it might be if you were running well until the last fill-up.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline WhiteFish

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007 - 07:43:25 PM »
 condensation would make sense, in that case methyl alcohol should work.  I bought some fuel line and a jerry can full of gas to try, I'll let you guys know if that was it.

moparniac

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007 - 07:57:46 PM »
I seriously doubt there would be water in the gas if you pumped it recently since I make the floats / alarms and probes that detect water in the tanks....US. and Worldwide...............however it could be condensation in your own tank from sitting around......

some gasses have crappy detergents in them which is what I would guess.....
« Last Edit: October 01, 2007 - 08:05:44 PM by moparniac »

Offline WhiteFish

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007 - 08:30:19 PM »
I've been driving it every couple days so I can't see condensation in the tank.

Offline WhiteFish

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007 - 09:13:40 PM »
it's not the gas, it still ran the same out of a jerry can. 

Offline WhiteFish

« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007 - 09:16:11 PM »
maybe something to do with the carb? pilot jet plugged or something?  It's a Holley vac. secondaries. runs pretty rough at low rpm, in neutral revs up really quick, but  way down on power.

Offline matt63

« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007 - 09:26:52 PM »
Depending on the formulation of the gas, it could go bad in a month (at least it seems that way here in CA). But I agree with bullit that there is probably water in it from the pump being broken for so long. You could setup an electric pump to push the fuel through a diesel water seperator filter and into a gas can 5 gallons at a time, other than that, I don't know what you would do with it. Maybe call the gas station and see what they will do for you??
:iagree: Gas doesn't last very long.  I use Extend to make sure the gas lasts over the winter.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2007 - 11:12:43 PM »
Something to consider, my stock '73 would start & ran generally OK but would miss & sputter at times, sometimes be hard to start, I was checking voltages to & through the ballast resistor when I found that I could not get a consistent reading, put in a new ballast resistor & issues went away.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline WhiteFish

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2007 - 07:09:10 PM »
I'll check that Bullitt99, thanks

Offline WhiteFish

« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2007 - 11:11:58 PM »
got it sorted.  Never had a problem with that Holley and it's good that I finally did actually.  I threw on the Demon 750 off my boat and it runs sweet.  Waaay more power, wow. 

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2007 - 11:14:18 PM »
KEWEL  :bigshades:
Screwed by Photobucket!