Author Topic: A few questions decoding my 70 440-6 Cuda  (Read 1464 times)

Offline N96cuda

• Kirks Cars
A few questions decoding my 70 440-6 Cuda
« on: October 03, 2007 - 01:26:19 AM »
When I got the car it was missing the fender tag, but it did have the dash VIN and a matching broadcast sheet under the rear seat which I feel very fortunate to have considering it was a Los Angeles built car. Anyway, here are a few details about the car. It still has a 1976 inspection sticker on the windshield, floor pans are perfect, absolutely no rust, all body panels appear original along with cowl and radiator support numbers matching.
Highlights of what I do know. 440-6, auto, 3.23 sure-grip, Vitamin C, black interior, console, luggage rack and shaker hood.

I am trying to verify the wheels, vinyl top, radio and whether it had a hockey stripe or not. Part of the problem is because the broadcast sheet is missing line 11 and a small portion of the right side along with some of it just being hard to read. Here are my questions.
1. Roof Style: _ _ X is all that I can read. I assume this means it came with a vinyl top. Correct?

2. Since the bottom line is gone is there any other way to verify wheels? Tires are coded T87 which is F70x14 rwl. I was told that it had Rallye wheels on it when fairly new by a previous owner.

3. Any way to comfirm what radio it came with considering the bottom line is gone? It had a basic AM radio with it when I bought the car (not installed, btw) so I assume that was probably the original. 

4. I am assuming it came without the hockey stripe because there is no code where my 71 has V6X and is a billboard car.

70 Cuda 440-6 Shaker, Auto, Vitamin C, stripe delete, black int. & vinyl top, luggage rack, Magnums, build sheet
71 Cuda conv. 383 4-speed, Rallye red, black top, int. and billboards, 2 complete build sheets
09 B5 blue Challenger SRT-8
www.93cobra.itgo.com

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
Re: A few questions decoding my 70 440-6 Cuda
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007 - 10:20:11 AM »
X is black, your top should say V1X.   :2thumbs:

Offline Green Drop Top

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007 - 10:37:53 AM »
I was told that it had Rallye wheels on it when fairly new by a previous owner.

This info. and the fact that the car is coded for 14" tires tells you that it's pretty likely that the car came with 14" Rallye Wheels, if your car still has the original rear brake drums look for traces of red paint on the faces of the drums, if it's there that would be another clue supporting Rallyes. Otherwise there's really no way of proving which wheels it had, painted steel wheels with caps or 14" Rallyes. I too have a 70 LA built 440+6 Shaker Cuda, (yellow, auto, bench seat car) it came with 14" Ralleyes as well.

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007 - 03:29:45 PM »
2. Since the bottom line is gone is there any other way to verify wheels? Tires are coded T87 which is F70x14 rwl. I was told that it had Rallye wheels on it when fairly new by a previous owner.

What are the numbers on you sheet in the boxes shown below?

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2007 - 03:32:22 PM »

4. I am assuming it came without the hockey stripe because there is no code where my 71 has V6X and is a billboard car.

Hockey stripe was optional if it does not show on the BS, it did not come with one.

Offline N96cuda

• Kirks Cars
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2007 - 06:54:57 PM »
What are the numbers on you sheet in the boxes shown below?

Bottom line = 63 TX9 16 24

My guess is that means 14" Rallye wheels, space saver spare and trim rings.

Recap. Basically what I originally thought, black vinyl top, 14" Rallye wheels even though it had 15" Rallyes on it when I got it so they are staying, probably came with an AM radio and is stripe delete. Cool, it will be going back completely original (other than the 14" wheels) and I think it will look awesome and be a little different from the norm with a luggage rack, vinyl top and no hockey stripe.  :2thumbs: :cheers:

Thanks...

70 Cuda 440-6 Shaker, Auto, Vitamin C, stripe delete, black int. & vinyl top, luggage rack, Magnums, build sheet
71 Cuda conv. 383 4-speed, Rallye red, black top, int. and billboards, 2 complete build sheets
09 B5 blue Challenger SRT-8
www.93cobra.itgo.com

Offline 70Cuda

• 70 Cuda 383 70 Challenger 440+6 71 Challenger 383
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007 - 11:59:12 PM »
If I'm reading Galen's book right (Casting Volume I, Tenth Edition page #45) it says the following:

Wheel - 14x5.5 Styled / Magnum 500 Class 2 (this is the 63 code where the other 61 code above is a ralley)
The collapsible spare looks like it is a 81 but I can't find the 24 so not sure

But, if you don't care on the tires anyway then who cares, have fun, sounds like a nice car.