Author Topic: breather puking oil  (Read 1049 times)

Offline WhiteFish

breather puking oil
« on: October 04, 2007 - 11:21:02 PM »
when I throw the cuda around some corners it dumps oil out of the valve cover and onto the header.  I guess the engine pumps too much oil to the top and the valve cover fills right up and over flows at high rpms?  if that's what causes it, what is the solution?  Do i need a crossover tube on the valve covers with breathers on that?  Will it work at the back of the covers? or should it be on the front?  would like to see pics of proper set-up.

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Re: breather puking oil
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2007 - 11:33:57 PM »
If the valve covers didnt come with them, you probably need baffles installed under the breather openings.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007 - 02:08:27 AM »
how fresh is the engine? too much blow by? what type of breather?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline WhiteFish

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007 - 08:09:53 AM »
they are Edelbrock aluminum covers, I think (I'll check) they have baffles, and a push in breather.   Don't think it could be blow by.  If I take a hard right at high rpm liquid oil goes up into the breather and dumps oil down the valve cover and header.  To me it seems the valve cover is filling right up, at the back anyway because of poor drainback, maybe it has a high volume oil pump?  Motor was done when I got the car and has low miles, doesn't burn oil, or have blow by.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007 - 11:01:15 AM »
I have seen valve covers fill on other makes of engines due to small return holesin the heads , but it realy isn`t possible on a Mopar

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007 - 11:12:17 AM »

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007 - 12:17:08 PM »
Which push in breathers? Pull one, and look at how the air passes thru it. Most have a flat surface across the passage, that has a 75% complete circular stamping in it. Then, the severed edge is bent in to allow air to pass. If the top 1/2, and bottom 1/2 are not oriented right when they get assembled, the open edge faces down. That allows liquid oil (that condensed from crank case vapors inside the breather during heavy use) to drip out the breather, and get whipped all over. You need to make sure that cut edge faces up towards the carburetor..not down towards the header. Unfortunately (Summit's great for this...) that means the script faces the wrong way on most engines...

Offline WhiteFish

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007 - 12:41:44 PM »
thanks guys I'll check the Valiant solution posted, and check out the breather situation.  That makes sense and an easy fix.  It's just a cheapie hardware store breather.