Author Topic: Vendor Problem-What would you do?  (Read 2754 times)

Offline LAA66

Vendor Problem-What would you do?
« on: October 05, 2007 - 10:25:39 AM »
 Over three weeks ago I ordered a brake hose from a company back east. The guy said it's in stock and would be here on the west coast in 4 business days. They sent me the receipt for my credit card purchase early last week. Still no part. I have called three times but only get an answering machine in which I left a message each time.

I can tell it's a mom & pop operation and don't want to hurt their business by posting the name. (Yet). I though, maybe someone got sick, on vacation, they went to at a car show??? It's not much money but they do have my C.C. number. What about calling my credit card company to try and void the sale?

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: Vendor Problem-What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2007 - 11:35:41 AM »
It's still a little early in the game to start playing hardball, but I understand your frustration.

It sounds like Jim's Auto parts.  :stirpot:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007 - 12:06:36 PM »
 I knew that would be the first one that come's to mind, but it's not Jim's. :grinno: :eek7: I'd have no problem exposing them.

I can wait as I already bought and installed one from another source. It's the lack of returned calls that bothers me. If they said "hey sorry it's on back order" or "here's your tracking number" I would be OK with it.   

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007 - 03:10:57 PM »

It sounds like Jim's Auto parts.  :stirpot:
  Mike

:iagree:  I've been it that position a few times over the years.  If I were you and your credit card statment has arrived with the charge, I would call them (credit card company) and dispute the charge. This will get the vendors attention. The charges will be reversed and the vendor will have to resoond.
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline LAA66

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2007 - 03:22:52 PM »
 I received the statement and the charge is on it. Just paid the bill too. Thought to give it a week or so before doing anything more. Anyone know if there is a time limit to have the credit card company do something about it? This is a first for me. :dunno:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2007 - 04:32:28 PM »
Have you tried contact thru E-Mail? I would wait a little while longer before contacting your credit card company. Maybe 5 weeks would be my breaking point.   :2cents:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2007 - 04:43:16 PM »
 Yes, emailed them also. Only once though. :crazy:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007 - 05:57:24 PM »
If I were you I would contest the charges. They did not send the part when promised and if there is a mistake you can always go back and cancel the dispute. Promising the part in 4 days and the fact that its been 3 weeks is a huge difference imo. You have been patient enough.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Mopar73340

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007 - 06:06:57 PM »
 :iagree:

File a dispute, the charges will be credited to your account and deducted back from the vendor which will get their attention. At least you will get your money back until your parts arrive, or if they don't respond you can cancel the whole deal.  You shouldn't have to put up with deadbeat vendors. I had a similar issue with Penstar a few yrs ago. Just my  :2cents:
73-Challenger 340 727/GearVendors Auto
73-Challenger 408 Pistol-Grip 5-speed

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2007 - 06:23:32 PM »
Anyone know if there is a time limit to have the credit card company do something about it? This is a first for me. :dunno:

I'm pretty sure you have up to 60 days before the credit card company can no longer contest the charges.  Despite the fact that they told you 4 days, 3 weeks might be too soon for the credit card company to do anything about it.  They will probably say you need to allow more time because they probably don't want to involve their legal dept this early in the transaction.  As frustrating as it might be, I would probably wait until its been closer to 40 days, but keep sending them emails at least every couple days because that gives you a hard copy of the fact that you have been trying to contact them, in case they try to make it ugly.  You might try to get phone records, too, showing that you have called.  Maybe around the 30 day mark start including the threat of contesting the charges, and reporting to the Better Business Bureau.  If they are a Mom and Pop shop, that should scare them pretty good because it will hurt their credit rating.  It might be a small amount, but with our cars every penny counts.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2007 - 06:26:19 PM by 73Chally »

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2007 - 06:49:32 PM »
I can guarantee that if you used American Express you can dispute the claim whenever you want to. I dont know about regular cards though. The only time I disputed a charge they started the process immediately. The seller got back to me quick and the whole thing got resolved very quickly.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline gkring

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2007 - 09:42:20 PM »
Long enough you have already bought and installed from another place? I'd refuse the shipment if it arrives and notify the shop you are cancelling the order. I assume you ordered it based on the fact it was "in stock" and was to be shipped to you. Notify card company to refund you and put the burden back on the vendor. If you hadn't already tried giving them a fair shake I wouldn't go to these extremes, but nt returning your calls is poor business practice. part possibly lost in shipping? Especially since they took the time to send you a credit card receipt?
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2007 - 09:51:09 PM »
Hangum High :stirpot:
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline 72Chall77Doba

• Bill's Mopars
    • My Car Domain Page
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2007 - 09:57:21 PM »
Get your money back NOW.
Don't wait on it.
And as a business owner, I have received several chargebacks to my biz, there is no legal dept involved.
You dispute the charge, give your reasons, and the credit card co will send a letter to the vendor giving them about 2 weeks to respond or they automatically get charged back and you get your money.

You paid in good faith, and I know that sheet happens, but too bad on them.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2007 - 10:07:55 PM »
 Great help guy's.  :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

The issue in my mine is not a bit of money lost, it's someone shady has my C.C. number. That's a completely different issue. :hyper: