Author Topic: A/C converson  (Read 2314 times)

Offline buzzard

• Why is their AIR
A/C converson
« on: October 08, 2007 - 11:22:09 AM »
 Winter is coming so its time for A/C. I am changing from non A/C to A/C. If one of you people out there would have the positioning of a key component " heater fan motor hole and studs " or something as a key point to modify the cowl for the A/C box it could save me many hours of fitting and frustration. I much appreciate any help. Thanks BUZZARD

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
Re: A/C converson
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007 - 12:01:49 PM »
I would consider one of the after market kits from Classic Auto Air or Vintage Air.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007 - 12:24:44 PM »
The Vintage Air setup needs a little tweaking to make it all work. Never done Classic's. In either case, trying to find an get decent factory stuff is simply not worth the cost or time. Not when you can get all updated stuff for less that doesnt require more than a couple drilled holes for bolts. I just did a March single serp drive setup, a new tiny compressor, and the Vintage Air setup. Even not using the serp drive, it would have ben much easier than fitting factory stuff, and that's before having to find and pay for good factory stuff.

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007 - 12:26:57 PM »
 :iagree:.. especially if you are starting from scratch with without a A/C box, dash frame, switches, etc... You will end up spending more time and hassle trying to use OEM parts... in IMO.

Do you have anything to start with?

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007 - 12:38:26 PM »
The Vintage Air setup needs a little tweaking to make it all work. Never done Classic's. In either case, trying to find an get decent factory stuff is simply not worth the cost or time. Not when you can get all updated stuff for less that doesnt require more than a couple drilled holes for bolts. I just did a March single serp drive setup, a new tiny compressor, and the Vintage Air setup. Even not using the serp drive, it would have ben much easier than fitting factory stuff, and that's before having to find and pay for good factory stuff.

What did you need to tweak to get the vintage setup working. Does their kit come with everything you'll need to do the setup

Offline wiging19

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007 - 12:39:27 PM »
 :popcorn:

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007 - 04:32:11 PM »
I used a Classic Air kit.  They don't have a kit specific for E-body Mopars so I used their Mopar generic kit.  So far I think I should have spent the extra 400 and gotten the Vintage air sure fit.  The engine brackets and stuff lined up perfectly, as did the condenser.  The problem I have is the interior items.  I positioned my vents under the dash and placed the switch on the left where the original heater pad was (my car was a non-A/C).  One other issue is that the Classic Auto Air one uses vacuum switches to open and close the vent doors.  That is something they don't tell you  when you order the system.  Also you'll have to fab up a plate to cover the original heater box hole.

Offline Lunchbox

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007 - 05:43:55 PM »
For a A/C set up you will need

A/C Heater box ($50-150, restored can be $800 to 1000)
Dashpad ($650)
A/C controls ($50 - 300)
2 Air duct ($75-150)
Water valve cable ($50)
Water valve ($75-140)
Water valve bracket ($40)
Vacuum hoses (?? up to $100 for a NOS set)
Lower dash trim piece ($65-120)
Vents ($50 - 200)
Condenser ($100)
Condenser brackets ($15)
Evaporator ($75)
A/C Cowl ($??)
A/C Firewall ($??)
Drier ($50)
Drier Bracket ($??)
Hardline form drier to condeser ($??)
Hard/soft line from condeser to compresser ($??)
Soft line form compressor to Heater box ($??)
Line from evaporator to drier ($??)
Compressor ($175)
Compressor Brackets (diff for SB and BB) ($30)
Dual Pulley Altenator ($100)
A/C wire harness for engine bay and interior ($60)
Firewall bracket for A/C line ($20)

May have forgot one or two things but some of the stuff on the list is hard to find or can be quite spendy. Price are just gen estimates of what I have seen.

Lunch

Lunch

Offline buzzard

• Why is their AIR
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2007 - 08:43:04 AM »
 Thanks for all the info. guys. I will put in the factory air. The only parts still needed are water valve and bracket. What I am after is a key point to measure from to modify the cowl. Some people have don this.So they would have to come up with the placement of the new holes. I'll have to role the edge of the fan hole, other than that I think the holes are all just holes. I don't have access to an A/C car to take # from. Any help would could save a lot of time. I may have to use the fresh air in hole a an anchor point. Lunchbox I didn't realize how much this has cost, it would be a lot less to go to an add-on kit. For me the vent tubes and dash were the expensive parts.

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2007 - 09:46:56 AM »
I'll ask my builder today when I see him if he has a template for this. I'll let you know. good to hear that you have most everything.. I have an original A/C car and most of the hard parts came with the car.. and it was still expensive! Good luck! :cheers:

Offline wiging19

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2007 - 10:10:48 AM »
I'll ask my builder today when I see him if he has a template for this. I'll let you know. good to hear that you have most everything.. I have an original A/C car and most of the hard parts came with the car.. and it was still expensive! Good luck! :cheers:

:iagree:

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2007 - 01:42:23 AM »
talked to my builder today and he offered to sell you a firewall section for an a/c car on the cheap or make you a template.. pm me and we can figure out what you want to do... :2thumbs:

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2007 - 07:24:22 AM »
I think the money saved will be money spent in additional labor outfitting a non-AC car with OEM AC equipment. I replaced the FW and cowl in my AC car from a non AC car. We ended up cutting out the AC areas on my old firewall and patching them in to the new one.

Actually its a pretty good job no matter which route you take. Good luck with it. Are you going to use OEM equipment under the hood? I would highly recommend using the smaller, less load inducing Sanden over the larger OEM compressor. 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline buzzard

• Why is their AIR
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2007 - 07:42:30 AM »
 I have both oem and a sandon compressor. The air cleaner will have to be cut to use the oem so I think I will use the Sandon. I dont want to cut the 6 pac cleaner. I have no problems with any mods. to hoses etc. Thanks for the impute.

Offline wiging19

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2007 - 10:27:51 AM »
I dont want to cut the 6 pac cleaner. I have no problems with any mods. to hoses etc. Thanks for the impute.

:money: I hear you there!!!