Long overdue 1973 Cuda Restomod build with a few pics. Updated Pics 6/17

Author Topic: Long overdue 1973 Cuda Restomod build with a few pics. Updated Pics 6/17  (Read 31107 times)

Offline Confederate Cuda

My 1973 Cuda Project –

My car was originally a 340 auto on the column B5 Cuda. It was my first car and I purchased it in 1983 for $600. I bought this one because I could not afford $1500 for a 71 Cuda convertible that I had found that needed a little work. If I had only known  :banghead:. I drove the car in high school and then stored it in a building at my dads when I went off to college and it has been there for last 20 years. I have moved a lot in the last 15 years with my career (7 times) but finally decided to have my car shipped to PA from TN last year. I moved to Memphis Tennessee about 3 months ago but my car is still in PA with my friend who is helping me with the build. He will finish the body work and paint and I should have it in TN by Christmas for assembly. I have attached a few pictures but do not have many left as I had a computer crash and lost over 500 pictures of my project  :crying:. So please, take my advise and backup your pics! Here is the build data:

Power train and suspension
Engine – 392 Hemi (6.4L) Fuel Injected
Transmission – Keisler TKO 600 5 Speed
Rear end – Moser 60 3.54 ratio
Front suspension – Alterkation with airbags, Flaming River power rack and pinion
Rear suspension – Musclebar 4 link with airbags
Brakes – Wilwood 12.19” Drilled and Slotted, hydrotech booster
TTI headers, 3” X-pipe
Body
Torque boxes and frame rail connectors added
Side markers recessed
Firewall completely smooth – remote wiper motor
AAR spoiler
Interior
Black leather
Custom console
Flaming River tilt column
Front seats from a BMW 645 convertible (integrated seatbelts)
Rear passenger shoulder seatbelts
Autometer Gauges (still undecided)
Rocky Mountain dashes gauge plate
Color
Stormy Blue Mica (Very Dark Blue)
Grille and rear panel Black
Painted AAR stripe (any design ideas about the HEMI 392 on the stripe?)

I will go back to PA in two weeks to mock up the engine and will take more pics then.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009 - 09:40:56 PM by Confederate Cuda »

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: Long overdue 1973 Cuda Restomod build with a few pics.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007 - 10:51:06 PM »
Great to see your progress, looks like a fine plan, good luck & keep us posted. 
 Enjoying Memphis?  One of my best friends has lived there since the early 80s, he's the parts manager at a Mercedes dealership.  I used to enjoy visits but have not been back in about 20 years. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007 - 11:38:13 PM »
Looks great!!!!
How far are you regarding sourcing your parts, etc? Is it a long term project or short?
There are several of us working on the same sort of pro-touring new gen hemi projects right now and you're definitely fits that catagory!

Keep us posted.  :cooldancing:

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007 - 09:14:33 AM »
Looks great!!!!
How far are you regarding sourcing your parts, etc? Is it a long term project or short?
There are several of us working on the same sort of pro-touring new gen hemi projects right now and you're definitely fits that catagory!
Keep us posted.  :cooldancing:

I have purchased all the parts except my wheels (have not decided yet) and radiator ( I have found a race shop to build it - just need to give thme the specs.) I should have the car complete by spring. Let me know if you have questions.

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007 - 10:06:25 PM »
I'd love to see some more pictures if you have some left after the computer crash you mentioned. Mine is a long term project (71 Challenger) with similiar goals/eventual parts list. I have a new 6.1 hemi crate engine in the garage for it, but have just started compiling parts.

Do you have any pictures of the BMW seats and rear shoulders? I also have a Rocky Mountain Gauge insert I'll be using.

Why size of tire will you try to fit in the rear?

Are you going to use the Spal brand remote wiper motor? Or?

Thanks, Wes

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2007 - 09:54:33 AM »
I am going up next weekend and will take some more pictures. I am still trying to decide on the wheels, most likely 18" but will put as wide a tire as I can in the rear. The remote wiper came from SPW in GA. It is a cable drive system and not for the faint of heart to install. We had to do some fabrication to the outside of the kickpanel area to mount the motor.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007 - 12:40:04 AM »
Sounds like an awesome build plan.  Can't wait to see it all come together.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Confederate Cuda

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007 - 09:49:51 AM »
Sounds like an awesome build plan.  Can't wait to see it all come together.

That makes two of us  :bigsmile: It looks like our cars will be cousins  :thumbsup: I thought about having someone do a rendering like youi did with your car?? Is it expensive?

Offline rallye5.7

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2007 - 10:12:07 AM »
  I'm about to start a similar project but using a 5.7 carb crate engine in 74 Rallye, it would  be great if someone doing a conversion would post the progress of their projects and perhaps a step by step of what to do. I've tried to get as much info on the conversion kits available but need to know what works best.

Offline 74chall

• Mopar or No Car
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2007 - 08:43:31 AM »
Nice project and workshop!

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007 - 10:13:50 PM »
The project looks great and sounds even better. Let us know how things are coming along with lots of pictures as maybe this is the route I need to take for a next project. Good luck and I hope the car makes it to Memphis soon so you can put it together.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Travis72

« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2007 - 05:04:00 PM »
Sorry been away for a few days.... The rendering itself is pretty expensive, but it's basically a work of art that you can frame and hang in the house, or the garage or both.  :D  So if it's a car you're planning on keeping a while then it might be worth it to you.  If not, then you might consider asking one of the artists to just do photoshop chops of different rims to help you decide on the rims.  Or if you're good with photoshop you can try it yourself.  I'm not that good at photoshop and don't have the time to learn either. 

Attached is an example of what the artist did for me to help me decide on rims.  I have about 20 different rims combinations like this.  They basically can take a picture of any Cuda and color it to match your car then add whatever rims you want.

Plus a true artist could help you design a 392 logo as well.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline conv340

• Myspace CaMopar
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2007 - 12:44:51 AM »
Glad to see your post. looking good We've all been waiting to see pic of you ride.  :thumbsup: To bad about the crash  :'(
time to take some new pics.
Two models, Two makes, One year, One body.

Offline Confederate Cuda

Re: Long overdue 1973 Cuda Restomod build with a few pics. (update)
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2007 - 10:30:56 PM »
I was able to get to PA this past weekend and work on my car. Here are some additional pictures. We are still trying to get everything mocked up before paint.

Offline Travis72

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2007 - 01:25:47 AM »
Looks cool... love the seats!  What a great start.   The smoothed engine bay looks great too! :2thumbs:

Travis
72 Cuda