Project...Back to Basics....1970 Challenger

Author Topic: Project...Back to Basics....1970 Challenger  (Read 2710 times)

Offline backtobasics

Project...Back to Basics....1970 Challenger
« on: October 09, 2007 - 08:40:30 PM »
Back to basics. 

It is time to get my Challenger back on the road.  It needs fuel system, brakes, and rust repair around front and rear windows, to be roadworthy.  It will be roadworthy for the Power tour.  The PT stops in Topeka, KS, and I am in KC.  So progress begins.  Only caveat is budget.  This is going to be a very budget rebuild.  I will list pricing on projects as I move along.

Fuel system
Stock tank was rusted out.  I found a fuel cell that was similar in size to the stock tank.  We built cross straps out of 1" square tubing, and welded feet to each cross bars.  The cross bars were screwed into the frames, and welded in place.  I built the straps out of 2" wide steel, that that sit over each cross brace, and go under cell.  Cross straps will be welded in place. Once the cell is located, I will use 2" steel across the top of the cell, and bolt to cross brace to hold cell in place.   Cost for steel, fuel cell, and sender 170.00

Trunk floor
The trunk floor was trashed.  Once the fuel cell is complete, I am going to take a single sheet of steel, and make a single trunk floor, with an access panel for the fuel cell.  This will allow access as needed, but an overall flat floor.  The floor, other then access panel, will be spot welded to the cross braces for strength.  The existing trunk extensions are solid. 

Pictures:

« Last Edit: October 09, 2007 - 08:44:05 PM by backtobasics »

Offline backtobasics

Re: Project...Back to Basics....1970 Challenger
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007 - 10:23:22 PM »
Some small progress.
I do not have all the parts necessary to mount the fuel cell completely.  So I deceded to do someting that required no $$.

I pulled the M/T valve covers, and started sandblasting.  I am undecided if I should keep them as blasted, with a clear coat, or hit them with the black wrinkle coat, and sand down the fins, to mimick the Mopar Performance look....  Opinions?

Here is the previous finish, half black, partially stripped, with orange underneath.  The orange was TOUGH to get off, so I finally went to the stripper to soften it up,

Here is partially finished product.  There is still a lot of paint in the fins, that might require another hit with the stripper.   Admittedly my sand is way to soft for the task, but it does the job with some time.

Cost for this segment, so far   $0.00
Cost with clear coat, or wrinkle paint   $6.00

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007 - 04:28:36 PM »
I'd try it like the mopar covers, spray it and then sand off the top machined edge.  Looks like you're a man with a plan, looks good.   :2thumbs:

Offline backtobasics

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007 - 09:45:25 PM »
 :woohoo: :woo:

I did something I have never done before!
I managed to go into a parts store, buy exactly what I needed, and leave, without tools, do-dads, or extra stuff.   :money:
I also managed to get out the door for under 55.00!! :cooldancing:

I bought plugs, wires, cap and rotor, oil and filter, 2 cans of carb cleaner, and a can of brake clean.

So much for Mopars being expensive!

I did forget the better stripper for the valve covers, and the black wrinkle paint.   I will have to get that tomorrow.  I guess it gives me an excuse to take some old oil back with me.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2007 - 05:29:21 PM by backtobasics »

Offline backtobasics

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2007 - 05:27:55 PM »
I went and got some better stripper, and the black wrinkle paint.

This is after the 3rd round of stripper.   The remaining orange is going to be entombed under the black, cause it just doesn't want to come off....

Here is the brand I used, $6.99 a can...

wrinkle paint, wet....

Finished product...

They do not have any silver in them at all, its all black.  The picture seems like there is some silver fleck in them, my digital camera is of an older variety and wants to flash everything.

I am torn as to whether I should leave them all black, or sand down the fins......
OPINIONS?
Cost for paint, stripper, and 2 cans of brake clean....17.00
« Last Edit: November 10, 2007 - 05:31:29 PM by backtobasics »

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2007 - 06:51:29 PM »
Man, those look great as is, but I think I would sand them off, just for contrast.   :2cents:

I'm sure someone else will chime in.   :swaying:

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2007 - 08:58:28 PM »
Valve covers look great.  Mine are M/T also.  Didn' know they came painted too.   I just polished mine.
Dave or David

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2007 - 10:23:14 PM »
I would sand them down and make them stand out like MP covers. They look good and if I hit the power tour this next year again will have to hook up.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008 - 10:28:00 PM »
ok its January what did you do with your valve covers?
And count me in on the power tour... :cooldancing:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2008 - 10:53:08 PM »
Man, those look great as is, but I think I would sand them off, just for contrast.   :2cents:

:iagree:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline backtobasics

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2008 - 10:19:17 AM »
ok its January what did you do with your valve covers?
And count me in on the power tour... :cooldancing:

Well, direction changed a bit.   Valve covers are going unsanded.
Reality says that I was not likely going to get the Challenger out for PT.  I did recently win ebay auction (Picking up 1/26) a 1976 Dart Lite.   This one is in current driver condition, and is going on PT.  Challeger is probably going to to friends shop, for rust repair around windows, etc, and get ready for paint.