Author Topic: I wish this was in my garage  (Read 4316 times)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
I wish this was in my garage
« on: October 11, 2007 - 03:17:19 AM »
I am trying to motivate my brother in law to do something with this car while he still has his own teeth lol
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
Re: I wish this was in my garage
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007 - 04:20:52 AM »

Tell us more, tell us more!  :bananasmi
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2007 - 05:39:27 AM »
My brother in law bought this car in 83 for 900 bucks. He is the second owner and its all original paint 340, slapstick, white interior, air conditioner, color keyed grille, white billboards as you can see in the crappy phone camera pics. My sister drove the car for years until in about 90/91 or so she lost it in a turn in the rain and thumped the passenger side fender into a trash dumpster. She didn't hit it hard but the hook hit right on the gills. I think it could be fixed but my brother in law wanted but could never find a fender for it. I think it has 80+k on the odo. The car is at a crossroad in my opinion. It needs paint on the one fender but the original paint is still in so great of shape that it would be a shame to resto it right now. Either way it has been hibernating in my bros 2 car garage for 16 years now. He has a 70 R/T SE Challenger that has hibernated the same amount of time right next to it. I want to say he paid 700 for it in 86 or so. It has a funky 70's paint scheme but its not in good enough shape to keep. It was also FE5 with black interior/top with 383/4 speed. Except for my lime green 340 'Cuda I have always had base cars so it bugs the hell out of me that he has not started working on these diamonds in the rough. I dont have a good pic of the 70 Chally but here is a pic of the hood. You can still see the funky chrome R/T hood inserts that the previous owner put in there.
*Brett*

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2007 - 06:18:15 AM »

$900  :crying: Need I say more!  :2thumbs: Maybe buy it off him?  :dunno:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2007 - 06:29:27 AM »

$900  :crying: Need I say more!  :2thumbs: Maybe buy it off him?  :dunno:

Nah, I know there is no way in hell he will sell me the 'Cuda and even though I tried he wont sell me the Chally either. He is not one of those guys who never does anything with his stuff, he runs a concrete plant and just doesn have much time. He will get to them. Plus they are in a climate controlled garage so they are not rotting or anything. I do have a story that makes me want to cry though. Where he lives now in Rio Rancho New Mexico(suburb of Albuquerque) there was a guy 2 blocks up that had a red Challenger R/T, 70, 383 pistol grip 4 speed for sale back in about 95 or 96 for 5000 bucks. Keep in mind, there were TONS of cars available to me at that time(still no excuse) Anyway, my bro tells me this is the cleanest original car he has ever seen, even the glass looks brand new, the guy used it on the dragstrip only. The one single thing that turned me off on it was the guy cut the inner fenders for fenderwell headers. This car had a little over 20k on the odo. I never even went to look at it, ugh! When I think of some of the cars I let go I just wanna  :crying:
*Brett*

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2007 - 06:41:07 AM »

Yikes! Some things you just don't want to remember lol. :grinno:
Never mind, as they say, everything happens for a reason. :2thumbs:

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2007 - 09:09:24 AM »
Always cool to see and hear stories like this!  :thumbsup:  The color combo looks wicked cool!

Would love to see more pics if that's convenient!  :grinyes:  :picture:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007 - 09:34:53 AM »
Wow good story. The best cars unrestored come out of that area. 

Would love to see more pics if that's convenient!  :grinyes:  :picture:

:iagree:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline LAA66

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007 - 10:37:02 AM »
  It's kinda like a barn find story without the conclusion. They are an appreciating asset for your brother in law though, in my opinion.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2007 - 01:01:17 PM »
Yeah, they are only getting more valuable and he will resto the Chally and probably just patch up the 'Cuda. I will try to dig some pics up, I think I have some around I just have to find them.
*Brett*

Offline wiging19

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2007 - 04:02:25 PM »
The sad part is by the time he fix's the fender all the seals will have gone bad unless he starts it up every once in a while.  A friend of mines brother bought a new camero rt about 25 years ago.  He drove it for five years and then just put a tarp over it.  After a few years he built a garage and it has been sitting there ever since.  I'm sure under the layers of dust the paint looks very good but your basically going to have to tear the car down and replace all the running parts.  Different strokes for different folks.  I'm from the school if you can't drive it then their is not joy in owning it.  Well your brother-in-law should be able to buy a fender pretty soon if he wants.

Offline loco340cuda

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2007 - 04:06:00 PM »
I'm from the school if you can't drive it then their is not joy in owning it. 

:iagree:  If the car is sitting in your garage and you are actually working on it then that is another story, but to just have it sit there collecting dust is no fun in my opinon.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2007 - 04:09:25 PM by loco340cuda »
1970 Cuda 340 4-speed - now stroked to 416ci (SOLD)
2017 Mustang Shelby GT350

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2007 - 04:45:05 PM »
  It's kinda like a barn find story without the conclusion.

Speaking of Barn find, I think this months or last months issue of Hot Rod or something had something on barn finds and there looked like a '72 Cuda on the cover.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2007 - 08:46:52 PM »
Those are some nice projects he's got there!  I hate to say it but my car is just sitting in my shop not doing anything.  It's not that I don't want to work on it, it's just a matter of time and money.  I do what I can when I can, but sometimes things just don't work out.  I thought about selling it, but I know deep down that if I did, I would never get another Challenger again.  So I sit on it and drive people nuts because it just sits there. 
{oo/===\oo}

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2007 - 08:47:07 PM »
  A friend of mines brother bought a new camero rt about 25 years ago. 

that's a really rare model...... :poopoke:

( j.k. couldn't resist)
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California