Author Topic: Just how many trips to the hospital does it take 2 finish a project car?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline DMZ73

• http://www.pbase.com/dmz73/
Thought this might be interesting topic.

So far it is 3 for me in just over a year. ;D :bigsmile:
Last year I had 5 or six stitches on my arm from a sheetmetal "mishap" 
Then I had a piece of metal extracted from my eye-Yes I was wearing goggles. Quick extraction from an ER doc.

This year I had a chunk of  "debris" removed from each eye, and yeas, I was wearing eye protection yet again. I think I wiped it into my eyes accidentally. I thought it was dirt and that I could blink it out. Apparently not.
This time it was a lenghty hospital visit. They were poking and prodding at my eyes for a few minutes before telling me that there was a rust ring in my eye, which is now a part of my eye. Nice....
I will spare you the gory details. :puke:
NOw I definitely can't wear the contacts for a while, and I need to take these helacious stinging drops in the eyes every 2-3 hours. Lemme tell ya, its a whole lotta fun...
So, if I figure that this car will take me 5 years, and at the average of 2 injuries a year, I could assume that I would have 10 hospital visits before the car is done. :dunno: What about you?
My sig say its true...hahhaha

Your thoughts?

Dan
One E body saved, 7 years and counting.

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
Re: Just how many trips to the hospital does it take 2 finish a project car?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2007 - 12:32:46 PM »
I had two trips to the eye doctor with in two weeks period, and yes I was also wearing eye protection.
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2007 - 01:38:39 PM »
One of my more smart moves happened a few years ago. I was changing rear leaf springs on a pickup I had. While using the cutting torch in my left hand I had a mosquito land on my right arm. Without thinking I lifted my right arm and tryed to swat it with the left one. Yes I went to the ER with a bad burn on my right wrist and fore arm. :roflsmiley:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2007 - 02:23:55 PM »
I had a piece of metal in my eye as well one time.  Went to the eye doctor where they were able to remove it, but I had waited too long and it had started to rust.  They fixed though by grinding the rust out of my eye!  Nothing like watching a dremel tool coming straight at you and can't even blink!
{oo/===\oo}

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2007 - 02:30:11 PM »
Dang man, sorry to hear it. Make sure you dont go blind before you finish your car. It would be tragic to have a fresh restoration in the garage while you are walking around with a cane and dark glasses   :cooldancing:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2007 - 04:36:34 PM »
Been their, done that , many a time..
I was wearing glasses too. The object hits your face then the inside of the glasses, then into the eye.
Maybe a face shield will work with the glasses...
Protect them eyes, because it would really S#&K BIG TIME if you damage one bad or loose one... 

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2007 - 06:07:32 PM »
One of my more smart moves happened a few years ago. I was changing rear leaf springs on a pickup I had. While using the cutting torch in my left hand I had a mosquito land on my right arm. Without thinking I lifted my right arm and tryed to swat it with the left one. Yes I went to the ER with a bad burn on my right wrist and fore arm. :roflsmiley:

Don't leave us in suspense. Did you kill the mosquito??   :dunno:

Mike    :lol:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2007 - 07:37:43 PM »
Anyone else ever hear of removing metal from your eye using a magnet?  Have not tried it myself yet. 
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2007 - 09:16:18 PM »
It all came out ok in the end.  My vision is going down some, but I figure that it's just age (ageing sucks).
{oo/===\oo}

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2007 - 10:20:44 PM »
Have you noticed how many of us had crap (metal-dirt-rust) in our eyes and we were wearing eye protection?  :screwy: It's happened at my shop quite a few times. Luckily I've gotten good at playing doctor!  :naughty:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Kapteenikosmos

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2007 - 01:24:49 AM »
I've had 4 times metal in my eyes during the past 2 years. Three of them were from electric die grinder and yes I was also wearing eye protection, to be more precise, a welding mask which covers the whole face. It seems like the small metal particles just bounce off from everything and then inside your eye protection.

Last time I had metal in my eye was when I was installing steering column back to my daily driver. I was laying on my back on the car floor and wrenching the bolt in and small piece of thread broke off and dropped on my stomach. At the same instant my gf decided that I looked like I could use some cooling and blowed some air with her mouth at me and the damn piece of thread decided to jump into my eye.

Well I've got the pieces out of my eyes by myself everytime with cotton stick etc. but it aint fun.
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2007 - 07:20:54 AM »
Somewhat off topic but related, I had intra-lasik done a couple of years ago. I wore contacts for years but it always felt like something was in my eye. Also, it made my eyes more sensitive to things in the air. Not sure why but muggy days left my eyes more irritated while I was wearing contacts. They were unpredictable too; I'd be standing there talking to someone and out of nowhere, all of a sudden it felt like someone had jabbed an icepick in my eye. WTF? 

Lasik has been nothing short of a miracle for me. Just last year however I did notice some diminished close up vision. I went from near-sighted to slightly far-sighted. Wonderful. The doctors say that's where I would have been anyway even without the surgery. It sucks getting old.

Sorry for the rant; honestly though, it seems like I have less issues with particles in my eyes now.   
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2007 - 09:42:58 AM »
Don't leave us in suspense. Did you kill the mosquito??   :dunno:

Mike    :lol:

I really don't know and at the time I didn't care. :roflsmiley: :smilielol:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2007 - 09:52:46 AM »
Last week, I had a fragment pulled out of my eye from grinding. And I was only grinding off some old paint wearing safety glasses. And then a really nasty small infection almost like a bad spider bite on my middle finger. Something stuck inside. I don't think it came out but it's better now.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2007 - 09:56:12 AM »
Ahhh, emergency room visits, I've had my share.  Only one though for my eye, I was wearing eye protection, too.  It went way back on top of my eye, they put that dye in it to see the metal, and scooped it out with a q tip.  My mom said my eye looked really weird with that black light on it.   :sly:

Other emergency room visits include:

Broken wrist- HS football
Broken ankle- HS football
3 trips in 3 days for a severe allergic reaction to what we dont really know.  It kinda sucks not being able to breathe and at the same time having a rash across your entire body.  That was the craziest week I've ever had.