Author Topic: gas prices-Will it eventually kill our hobby??????  (Read 7332 times)

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
Re: gas prices-Will it eventually kill our hobby??????
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2007 - 09:53:45 AM »
For the most part the Ins co woun't let you drive them as daily transportation.  I agree that I only fill them once a month unless it goes on a road trip. That's not enough for me to sell.  :money:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2007 - 10:20:23 AM »
Depends on how you insure them. Most, but not all, collector type policy prohibit daily driving. Regular insurance coverage from the big name places typically could care less too, so long as you pay the premium.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007 - 12:56:36 PM by HP2 »

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2007 - 12:28:44 PM »
that hemi cuda wont use 20  gallons in the next 50 years.

I sometimes wonder if all the work and money spent on our cars is a waste.And how about the guy with a $2mil hemi-cuda-vert.It will be worthless with no gas.Food for thought
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2007 - 06:20:35 PM »
I grew up across from a Spur station. When I was a kid gas was 19.9 / 21.9  I remember the big embargo/rationing in the early seventies. Gas here was 49.9 HOLY$#it!!! You shoulda heard the cryin' then!  Believe it or not at inflation rates I've heard gas is actually cheaper now.  :grinyes: 
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2007 - 07:29:35 PM »
The day I sell/quit driving the Beast will surely come.....     :walkaway:   But it won't the price of gas that decides when it happens...............    :cheers:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline longgone

« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2007 - 08:34:09 PM »
The way I see it, most all of us have toys (or a hobby) that cost $20K-300K+ if we're on this board I would imagine.  If you have the disposable income to own these toys the price of gas for these toys is probably the least of our worries.  Now it's possible some of us bought these way back in the day before they were expensive and thats the only reason we can afford to have them now.  In this case gas prices might become an issue but heck I'd get a weekend job to pay for gas before I'd sell my toys....

Now the 5.0 and rice burner crowd, might be a whole different story :-)  You'll see a ton of them go up for sale if gas goes out the roof way before you do the mopars IMHO.   :violin:

Just food for thought...
Blueglow

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2007 - 09:17:19 PM »
...when gas was .30 cents a gallon, I made $1.60 per hour...now, gas is roughly 10 times higher, my hourly earnings are far greater than $1.60, gas is far cheaper for me today than it was 35 years ago....

...I used to pay $2.95 for Av gas/racing fuel 25 years ago, when regular gas was under $1 per gallon, because the DAYTONA liked it

...it might hurt the hobby, but I sincerely doubt it....the higher gas prices get, the more we as a nation consume....

...I didn't think MOPAR Muscle cars would go past $25K for the rare ones, now $25K barely buys a common car needing work....I didn't think MOPAR Muscle cars would ever pass $100K, now it's quite common to see cars advertised for hundreds of thousands.....will it ever stop, maybe sometime, but again I doubt it....but gas prices won't stop the hobby or the love of MOPARS....

...ps...the most economical car I own is a C5 Vette....it gets over 30 mpg on the highway....wanna drive cheap, but a Vette...

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2007 - 09:41:57 PM »
My Stratus RT only gets 30 mpg on it's best day so a vette at 30 is pretty cheap on gas. My Challenger get 15 with the AC on and about 17 with it off while my Cuda with a overdrive gets around 18-19 mpg. I drive them both and drove the Challenger from Illinios to Ohio to the nats and hit some stops on the Hot Rod power tour with it and gas was not a issue I just put it in the tank when I need it. I put almost 2,700 miles on it this year and about 1,200 miles on the Cuda. I would love gas to be $2.00 a gallon but then I would just drive the cars more and have to spend more money to keep them up. I'm not going to sell my Mopar's or stop driving them if gas goes up. I'll just deal with the high gas prices and keep on driving as that is what our Mopar cars were made for.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2007 - 09:44:02 PM by 71340RT »

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2007 - 10:00:22 PM »
The price of gas won't kill our hobby, only the lack of it may. Even then we'll find ways around it. But it's not going to happen in our lifetime anyway, so why worry about it? I don't use my car as a daily driver, so I consider the cost of gas in the same category as buying a nice dinner or going to a show. It's entertainment. I know guys with big boats that pay $1000 or more to fill them up, but they still do it, because it's their thing.

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2007 - 10:32:59 PM »
they'll run on natural gas also.
I'd have to fart a lot to fill my tank

:smilielol:
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2007 - 05:49:58 AM »
I think pollution laws will kill our hobby. Did someone here say most of us have the disposable income to have 20K - 300K toys? Yikes. Can someone direct me to the poor mans C-C board?
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

Offline ozrt4406

« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2007 - 09:37:34 AM »
i dont understand you guys over there, we have been paying up to $1.50 a litre for crap unleaded fuel over here for ages, but the best way around the problem is lpg or propane , i do lpg/propane conversions its safe , powerful, better octane than petrol(gasoline) better for the environment (almost zero emissions), quality is more reliable its a better fuel all around , every servo has it in oz, great for the daily driver , we are now fitting it to diesel trucks , 25% power increase less carbon emissions ,cheap at 40cents per litre , i had a friend over from atlanta last week hes trying to get it pushed over there , apparently its noy at servos there?the technology is booming in lpg/propane equipment and our major supplier is impco ( california)i wouldnt fit it on my challengers but great on your normal runaround car/truck/etc ... the std impco 425 mixer/gas carb will flow 300hp or more then theres the new technocarb lpg carb from the usa apparently thats flows up to 800hp, i havent had one in the shop yet but cant wait , whats wrong with 2X 4 bbl gas carbs(425 impcos) on a dual quad big block ( thats my next daily driver project ) as petrol gets too bloody dear over here gas conversions are a huge business , the federal govt are doing a $2000.00 rebate for every car converted, the average cost is around $2800.00 , savings in running costs are around 50/60% on average , very little /no difference in power, lpg is the future fuel as it can be retro fitted to any internal combustion engine , the hot rodders are into it now as emission laws kill the early cars so lpg is 99% no emissions! and the benefit to the environment is a bonus!
T/A AND R/T............... IM GREEDY.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2007 - 10:30:13 AM »
Availability. If you can't get it at the corner station, no one is going to use it. Heck, E85 isn't even available everywhere and it has a better PR campaign than propane up here. I've seen some government vehicles that have been converted, there also have been a number of vehicles running the Pikes peak Hillclimb that are propane powered, but in general, it is viewed as a backyard grill component by most.

Offline cowboy

• Denmark
    • CowboyCars.dk
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2007 - 11:30:21 AM »
 :swear:

I just filled up my daily driver (440cui.)  9 $ a gallon - total 127 bucks...  :bricks1:  :bricks1:

Don't you cry.....   :crying: :crying:
MoPar's for Cruizin, Racing & Pro-touring: www.CowboyCars.dk

1930 Plymouth Hot Rod wannabe - 1957 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman - 1967 RaceCuda  -  1968 Barracuda  -  1971 Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline dwbiggs

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2007 - 04:54:37 PM »
after 20 months resto-mod-eration, i drive it every day with the top down

Nice car...what tire combo are you runing?  :thumbsup:

1974 Challenger Rallye - 440+.040, 0 decked, 10.5:1, Ross Pistons, Hughes 3844 cam (238/244, .536/.540), Eddy RPM manifold, Eddy aluminum heads, Holley 750, TTI headers, .96" T-bars, IAS shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, XHD 6 leaf springs, Firm Feel stage 2 steering box.