Author Topic: gas prices-Will it eventually kill our hobby??????  (Read 7329 times)

Offline duodec

Re: gas prices-Will it eventually kill our hobby??????
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2007 - 12:39:12 AM »
i dont understand you guys over there, we have been paying up to $1.50 a litre for crap unleaded fuel over here for ages, but the best way around the problem is lpg or propane , i do lpg/propane conversions its safe , powerful, better octane than petrol(gasoline) better for the environment (almost zero emissions), quality is more reliable its a better fuel all around , every servo has it in oz, great for the daily driver , we are now fitting it to diesel trucks , 25% power increase less carbon emissions ,cheap at 40cents per litre , i had a friend over from atlanta last week hes trying to get it pushed over there , apparently its noy at servos there?the technology is booming in lpg/propane equipment and our major supplier is impco ( california)i wouldnt fit it on my challengers but great on your normal runaround car/truck/etc ... the std impco 425 mixer/gas carb will flow 300hp or more then theres the new technocarb lpg carb from the usa apparently thats flows up to 800hp, i havent had one in the shop yet but cant wait , whats wrong with 2X 4 bbl gas carbs(425 impcos) on a dual quad big block ( thats my next daily driver project ) as petrol gets too bloody dear over here gas conversions are a huge business , the federal govt are doing a $2000.00 rebate for every car converted, the average cost is around $2800.00 , savings in running costs are around 50/60% on average , very little /no difference in power, lpg is the future fuel as it can be retro fitted to any internal combustion engine , the hot rodders are into it now as emission laws kill the early cars so lpg is 99% no emissions! and the benefit to the environment is a bonus!

Offline duodec

« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2007 - 12:53:46 AM »
i dont understand you guys over there, we have been paying up to $1.50 a litre for crap unleaded fuel over here for ages, but the best way around the problem is lpg or propane , i do lpg/propane conversions its safe , powerful, better octane than petrol(gasoline) better for the environment (almost zero emissions), quality is more reliable its a better fuel all around , every servo has it in oz, great for the daily driver , we are now fitting it to diesel trucks , 25% power increase less carbon emissions ,cheap at 40cents per litre , i had a friend over from atlanta last week hes trying to get it pushed over there , apparently its noy at servos there?the technology is booming in lpg/propane equipment and our major supplier is impco ( california)i wouldnt fit it on my challengers but great on your normal runaround car/truck/etc ... the std impco 425 mixer/gas carb will flow 300hp or more then theres the new technocarb lpg carb from the usa apparently thats flows up to 800hp, i havent had one in the shop yet but cant wait , whats wrong with 2X 4 bbl gas carbs(425 impcos) on a dual quad big block ( thats my next daily driver project ) as petrol gets too bloody dear over here gas conversions are a huge business , the federal govt are doing a $2000.00 rebate for every car converted, the average cost is around $2800.00 , savings in running costs are around 50/60% on average , very little /no difference in power, lpg is the future fuel as it can be retro fitted to any internal combustion engine , the hot rodders are into it now as emission laws kill the early cars so lpg is 99% no emissions! and the benefit to the environment is a bonus!

If conversion kits like that become at all popular here the statists in the govt. will do all they can to sabotage them until they figure out a way to tax "automotive" propane differently than gas grille and household propane.  Just like they do with 'farm' and offroad diesel fuel, which is dyed to make detection obvious, and offer harsh penalties for using av-gas (for which road taxes are not charged).  They won't allow it, at least not on any reasonable scale, until they work out a way to tax it.  A lot.

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2007 - 02:06:51 AM »
The day I sell/quit driving the Beast will surely come.....     :walkaway:   But it won't the price of gas that decides when it happens...............    :cheers:  
:iagree:
Stated very well.   :2thumbs:  Hopefully it will be many, many years.
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline ozrt4406

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2007 - 05:48:03 AM »
IT IS TAXED HEAVILY HERE ANYWAY AS ARE ALL OUR FUELS , WE CANNOT BUY AV GAS/ 100 OCTANE FUEL WITHOUT A PERMIT, OR OWN AIRCRAFT AND THE COST IS RITE OFF , $2.00 PLUS A LITRE, , NORMAL HOUSE HOLD PROPANE IS NOT COMMERCIALLY AVAILABLE TO VEHICLES SO WE HAVE LPG ( LIQUID PETROLEUM GAS ) WHICH IS A MIX OF PROPANE/BUTANE , ITS EXTREMELY CHEAP TO PRODUCE AROUND 5C PER LITRE , WE BUY FROM THE SERVO AROUND 45/60 CENTS PER LITRE SO ITS OVER HALF THE COST OF GASOLINE( PETROL) EVERY SERVO IN OZ HAS LPG,THE GOVT HAS HUGE SALES TYPE TAX THEN THE GST TAX ON TOP SO THEY MAKE MORE FROM LPG SALES THAN THEY DO FROM PETROL, SO ITS HEAVILY PROMOTED HERE, ITS GREAT , SAFE, HIGH OCTANE ( 100/110)AND CHEAPER THAN PETROL, I CANT IMAGINE ANY COUNTRY NOT PROMOTING IT AS A SAFE ALTERNATE FUEL , BETTER THAN ETHANOL AND HYDROGEN ETC AND GREAT FOR THE ECO SYSTEM
T/A AND R/T............... IM GREEDY.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2007 - 09:48:46 PM »
I heard oil closed out at over $90 a barrel this week... buckle your safety belts!!  :bigsmile:

I'm still takin' NIKKI for a romp this weekend!!!  :burnout:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

kudakidd

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2007 - 01:11:16 PM »
I didn't stop driving in 1974 when the price of gas doubled to $.66 per gallon!

Offline Fleet 500

« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2007 - 11:54:56 PM »
Thats why america is in Iraq. To take all the oil (weapons of mass destruction etc is a good enough excuse to go there). Instead of Bush charging what Oil is worth over there, he cranks up the prices more then triple of what you should be able to get it for.

O well - not much anyone can do about it, so no point getting a headache over it. Think positive, Bush will be dead soon.
Bush hasn't "cranked up the price," that is done by a group of speculators who bid up the price.

I remember the price of fuel jumping way up at times in the mid-to-late '90s, but I don't blame it on Clinton.

Anyway, I drive my older cars only once or twice a week, so gas prices really don't affect me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2007 - 11:56:27 PM by Fleet 500 »

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2007 - 12:08:51 AM »
Just saw on the news that the bay area near San Francisco is the highest in the nation at $3.18 a gal. and N.J. is lowest at $2.98.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #38 on: October 23, 2007 - 07:53:01 AM »
Wow! So I guess the $2.67 I drove by this morning is a pretty good deal.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2007 - 08:44:18 PM »

Most of the price of gas over here is taxes. Does the price of your gasoline include any such taxes? If so, they are just encouraging you to get the conversions done, then they will put road taxes on the propane used for transportation, just like on gasoline.

Offline mopar#1

« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2007 - 09:12:24 PM »
I don't think that gas has any impact cause if you have the love of the beast in your head and you love to drive it you will pay for it
72 challenger
83 Ram 150 custom
96 Neon

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2007 - 09:37:18 PM »
Regular is sitting at 2.75 near my house.

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2008 - 01:54:27 AM »
Just saw on the news that the bay area near San Francisco is the highest in the nation at $3.18 a gal. and N.J. is lowest at $2.98.
ahhhh...the good ol' days  :bigsmile:
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2008 - 02:47:13 AM »
Sitting at $3.51 - $3.58

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2008 - 12:35:24 PM »
    :drama: we`re at about $9,- a gallon... :eek4:
*** Bart ***