Author Topic: 71 custom AAR-style Cuda --- minor update 4/5/11  (Read 18993 times)

Offline 71cudajoe

• 71 Cuda Restoration Project
Re: 71 custom AAR-style Cuda --- UPDATE 5/10/10
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2011 - 02:18:08 PM »
How's the car coming along? Any updates?
David - '71 HEMI Cuda Retro-mod
FOR PICS VISIT www.71cuda.net

Offline willhaven

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2011 - 11:48:11 AM »
Plodding along slowly.

The weather has just gotten better over here, so I'm ready to receive the car finally. Well, except for having to clean out a spot in the garage. We've got a yard sale planned for that.

On the car's end, it just got (or needs) a different in-tank fuel pump. What was in there was barely serving the needs of the engine. One of the electric window regulators is crappy and will have to be replaced. The transmission had been mostly rebuilt, was leaking, taken apart, completely finished and should now be fine.

I'm going to get the title soon and will be given a rough list of parts and services that were added so we can negotiate a final payment price.

Slow going, but nearly there. It seems like I'm always nearly there, though.

Offline 71cudajoe

• 71 Cuda Restoration Project
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2011 - 04:13:13 PM »
Plodding along slowly.

The weather has just gotten better over here, so I'm ready to receive the car finally. Well, except for having to clean out a spot in the garage. We've got a yard sale planned for that.

On the car's end, it just got (or needs) a different in-tank fuel pump. What was in there was barely serving the needs of the engine. One of the electric window regulators is crappy and will have to be replaced. The transmission had been mostly rebuilt, was leaking, taken apart, completely finished and should now be fine.

I'm going to get the title soon and will be given a rough list of parts and services that were added so we can negotiate a final payment price.

Slow going, but nearly there. It seems like I'm always nearly there, though.

Thanks for the update. I was curious.

I know what you mean by "nearly there"... my '71 Cuda has been "nearly there" for over a year now. I think I may finally be on the final leg. I have a brand new crate motor and have been dealing with minor engine leaks for months. I have a new mechanic that is fantastic -- we're "nearly there", and this time I mean it. (hopefully)
David - '71 HEMI Cuda Retro-mod
FOR PICS VISIT www.71cuda.net

Offline willhaven

Re: 71 custom AAR-style Cuda --- minor update 4/5/11
« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2011 - 09:39:34 PM »
I definitely plan to keep everyone updated! No news is... no news. Sadly.

I look forward to getting into it with minor tweaky things on the car, asking questions of everyone here, etc.

Oh, and driving it.

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2011 - 10:11:56 AM »
I love this car! It's so mean, real Street Fighter. Where did you get your hood? Did you have to work alot on it to make it fit so nice? Mine is wraping and does not look very nice anymore. :(
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline willhaven

« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2011 - 01:09:22 PM »
I love this car! It's so mean, real Street Fighter. Where did you get your hood? Did you have to work alot on it to make it fit so nice? Mine is wraping and does not look very nice anymore. :(
From what I recall, the hood came from a place located in Florida.

The shop did some modifications to make it a pin-less latching hood. Screws and bracing plates and what looked like a lot of body work and sanding to make it flat and smooth.

They also made a little custom mesh inlet to cover up the ragged fiberglass hole the AAR hoods usually have.

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2011 - 02:50:43 PM »
love the all black and minimal chrome!! one sweet ride!
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2011 - 02:24:06 PM »
Any updates? :drool:  Man I love your car! I need some new pictures! :stomp:     :grinyes:
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline willhaven

« Reply #38 on: December 21, 2011 - 09:42:57 AM »
Oh man, it's been a roller coaster.

We had it running great for a moment, then it started running rough. They thought it was the fuel pump, so we got a new fuel tank custom made with a better pump in it. I think that went back and forth half way across the country three times to get it right. Hook it up and it still runs badly.

Turns out the angle of the rockers was bad and the valve train was starting to bind up and wear unevenly. And on top of that, the injectors were getting clogged and now they're replacing the filter with something better.

It's getting there. The main thing I want is to get that engine running like a clock. There are other various smaller projects to do with the car. Trunk popper, door popper adjustment, emergency cable release, center console, tail panel chrome, LED tail lights, etc. I'll just have that done locally or do it myself as soon as the major mechanicals are done. If it can run, drive and stop it's "done" in my opinion.

On the upside, I finally have the title, plate, insurance, pile of most of the receipts, etc.

This is what it looked like last time I saw it. Dirty... sad... alone.

It's in good hands now though. The guys working on it are super competent.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2011 - 09:45:20 AM by willhaven »

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #39 on: December 21, 2011 - 11:14:44 AM »
I'm "toying" with the idea of going FI also.I love the look of those F&B six pack throttle bodies!  :drool: Bummer you didn't get it out this summer! Next summer for sure though I'd guess?
Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline willhaven

« Reply #40 on: December 21, 2011 - 12:48:55 PM »
Unless there is some major snafu, definitely by then. I should be taking the car early in the new year and will work out all the kinks and loose ends after that.

Who knows how long it will take to be bug free. Is that even possible with a car this old with this many modifications? I guess we'll see. It's my first vintage car and I haven't done a lot of work on vehicles before. The upside is that I'm fairly handy and good with technical things, so with the right guidance I don't think I should have too many problems.

Offline Duff

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2012 - 01:33:18 PM »
Updates???

Offline 'Cuda Hunter

• Sr. Resident
  • Tastes Like Chicken
« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2012 - 03:19:30 PM »
 :popcorn:

love this car
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

Offline willhaven

« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012 - 09:54:56 AM »
Still trucking along. One minor issue after another.

The trans is getting pulled and re-reworked under warranty.

The trunk lid popped on the dyno and got chipped and tweaked, so it will have to be straightened and painted.

Hopefully I'll be out to see it again pretty soon.

It's close... but it always seems close.