Author Topic: Victor Heads and Offset Rockers  (Read 3302 times)

Swedefish

Re: Victor Heads and Offset Rockers
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2007 - 02:16:33 PM »
How about Mopar Performance aluminum heads?
Does the Indys and Edelbrocks flow much better then the Mopar heads?
There`s quite a different on the price of them.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2007 - 02:18:00 PM »
the Mopar heads are made by Eddy , but take stock valave train at least , you do get what you pay for the Mopar /eddy head has a poor cobustion chamber size & shape IMO

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

nivvy

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2007 - 03:42:59 PM »
I know CP isnt an eddy fan but for the money many people recommend them for a hot street setup.... I have stage3 eddy rpms and run high 10's..... and faster than that and ill got to indy ez's....

box stock eddy rpms will flow as much if not more than the best ported factory iron's....

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2007 - 07:41:38 PM »
what is weird is 2 cars I dynoed before & after eddys having had factory iron heads showed Zero HP gain at the rear wheels which is part of the reason I am not a big fan or is my port work that good ???

Swedefish

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2007 - 08:16:54 AM »
Almost sounds as the iron heads is just as good as a aluminum head, besides the weight?
Seems to be alot of work on them before they`ll be okay.

Offline 440mike

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2007 - 01:32:31 PM »
My Boss uses lots of edelbrock rpm heads on motors at the shop, and he says they are great heads for lower power motorsup to 550 hp
He always takes them apart and does work and grinding in the air ports.

i asked him about the edelbrock VICTOR heads and he said they are great but no deal moneywise compared to the indy stuff.

I am lucky because the motor i bought has the indy ezee heads, but it is a more powerful engine than the edelbrock motors he does.

Offline 71chmark

« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2007 - 02:51:17 PM »
So if you buy aluminum heads you still have to have them machined?  I have 346 heads and would someday like to improve.  Aren't there any ready to bolt on that would be worth buying?
I may be schizophrenic,
but at least I have each other

nivvy

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2007 - 10:59:41 AM »
Basically do you want to run iron or aluminum.....if you read CP's statement it follows mine previous comment about the best ported iron will only flow about the same as box stock edelbrocks! and he had no gain on thre dyno!

I had a fully set of ported 906's 2.14*1.81 valves and the money involved to get them to flow as much as the stock edelbrocks is about the same to purchase new edelbrock heads on the StRoKeR so why not buy the edelbrocks???

You can run about 1  point more compression with aluminum without detonation problems with pump gas... now before the gurus chime in her and say cam selection timing etc... you may get more compression.. but for the average joe no more than 10.1 with iron and 11.1 with aluminum for pump gas!

Iron is heaver than aluminum and harder to get repaired if possible??? aluminum drops 40lbs of the nose of the car...iron has better heat properties as aluminum dissaptes it faster which is why you can run higher compression with aluminum!

some people are vintage though and will pay the cost to have there iron heads worked.....

Basically it will be"about" the same cost to get a full port irons done as box stock edelbrock.... so do you want iron or aluminum is all it comes down to... or unless you wanna run faster than high 10's and get a fully ported set of indy ez's ...

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2007 - 02:57:32 AM »
MY dyno tests were running against ported Eddy RPM heads

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2007 - 11:51:36 AM »
Yes, under $2K RPMs are the best bang for the buck. They will need a little correcting. All do. Chevy, Ford, Brodix, doesnt matter. Mass production means better chance for problems that probably wont trash an engine, but will cost power. Ported iron is as good as stock edelbrocks. if "ported edelbrocks" made the same power or less, something else was a factor. Swapping heads after en engine is built is simply changing a huge variable after the plan was implemented. And in many cases, it leads to disappointment if the rest ofthe package is not addressed. CP, if there was no change at the wheels, then the car will still be faster and quicker downt he track, if for no otehr reason than the 80lbs of eight it lost over the nose...lol. See, still a benefit :bigsmile:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2007 - 12:35:53 PM »
I didn`t say it was a no win situation just that you get what you pay for ....marginal gain for low $$ investment

Offline 440mike

« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2007 - 09:21:04 PM »
The Boss says you can't make a 440 with 575 hp with dodge iron heads, with pump gas and a flat cam, no matter how much grinding you do,
but he says that the edelbrocks rpms can do it with simple grinding out job.

He said i can post a dyno sheet if i want, do you guys want me to get a dyno sheet from him ?

nivvy

« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2007 - 10:04:42 PM »
I say you can get more than 575HP out of ported iron heads....280cfm of flow ='s 576HP.... know bump up the compression and you can make 600HP.....add race gas / timing etc... and you get a little more!

my car ran eleven fortys etc... with fully ported 906's at 3700lbs and you need 575+ HP to do that!
My stage 3 ported edelbrocks got me to high tens!

I may end up going to indy ez's....

lots of variables here!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007 - 10:08:01 PM by StRoKer »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007 - 01:12:59 AM »
definatly potential there if you gring out enough metal but they won`t do it out of the box or with simple clean up

Offline amcmike

« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2007 - 03:58:18 PM »
The Boss says you can't make a 440 with 575 hp with dodge iron heads, with pump gas and a flat cam, no matter how much grinding you do,
but he says that the edelbrocks rpms can do it with simple grinding out job.

He said i can post a dyno sheet if i want, do you guys want me to get a dyno sheet from him ?

Sure I'd be interested.  Engine specs would be nice for reference too please.
Mike
1970 Challenger
383, 727