Author Topic: How close can I replicate the original exhaust on my Challenger R/T?  (Read 874 times)

Offline mikeinsjc

I intend to use the original exhaust manifolds on the new exhaust system on my 70 Challenger R/T 383. My questions are; Did the original system have mufflers and resonators? Can I still get these same parts today? Anybody have part #'s or know specifics? TTI wants over a grand for the system from the manifolds back ($400 just for the tips). They certainly make a nice product, but if I can save any $ that would be nice. Plus, I don't really care for the sound of the Dynomax units they use. I would like to get as close to the original factory sound as possible. Heck, I wouldn't even know the original sound if I heard it.
70 cuda
70 challenger
69 6 pack rr

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Re: How close can I replicate the original exhaust on my Challenger R/T?
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007 - 07:29:18 PM »
Only place I've seen with the whole shebang is http://www.accurateltd.com/default.htm  ...they have the tips too but you can do better on price. check http://search.stores.ebay.com/Firestone-Collectibles_challenger-exhaust_W0QQfcdZ2QQfciZ8QQfclZ3QQfromZR10QQfsnZFirestoneQ20CollectiblesQQsaselZ284165QQsofpZ0
As far as I know if yours was a factory dual exhaust it would have both the resonator &
muffler.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline jeryst

• Resident
Re: How close can I replicate the original exhaust on my Challenger R/T?
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007 - 08:41:09 PM »
THere was someone at Carlisle selling complete replica factory e-body exhaust systems. They even had complete TA and AAR kits, and all hardware. Can't remember their name, but I think they were in Row A. Didn't check on price either because I was just looking.