Author Topic: Ignition system help  (Read 1799 times)

Offline mjb765

Ignition system help
« on: November 03, 2007 - 09:48:50 PM »
I have a 70 Challenger with a 383 and a 4speed with the stock points igintion still on it. I want to upgrade to electronic--does anybody have a good suggestions as to what setup to use?? It is mostly street driven with a mild cam. The amount of options is staggering....... ???

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: Ignition system help
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:02:15 PM »
This should pretty much give you everything you need.  I've never worked with one of these kits, so I can't be sure it includes everything needed, but it looks like it would be at least a good start.

http://www.moparperformanceparts.net/product_p/ign01.htm

Offline mjb765

The there is this
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:07:56 PM »
I found this also. And what about an MSD setup???

http://www.bouchillonperformance.com/BPEelectronic_ignition_kit.asp

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:14:57 PM »
The kit you found looks to be the same, just different pricing.  IMO I don't think an MSD setup is going to get you anything more than the Mopar Performance kit if you are primarily driving it on the street, although it will cost you more.  I talked with my engine guy when he built my 440, and he said the MP is pretty much as good as you can get unless you're running a street/strip car. 

just my  :2cents:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:16:54 PM »
Mancini offers the Mopar kit with the upgrade Chrome ECU for $20 extra , I like the kit , the cost is reasonable & reliable & easy to get replacemnet parts for , the MSD is a Lot more $$ for basically the same thing & you stll need a dist

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline mjb765

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:22:11 PM »
I was just looking to eliminate that ballast resistor as a point of failure. Do they go often?? It seems so from what I have been reading. I have been away from the Mopar world for a number of years.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:24:47 PM »
I've never had a ballast fail in the 15 years that we've had ours (13 years with a 340 and 2 years with a 440).

Offline mjb765

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:28:25 PM »
Then I guess that's what I will be buying. I also read to stick with the stock advance springs since the performance ones give problems on the street. Is that true??

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:33:22 PM »
I actually have not heard that before, but I do know that mine is exactly as it came out of the box, and it has worked just fine for me.  Since you're not looking to hot rod it, you're probably best off just leaving it as is.  If you want to get into it later, then go for it.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:34:16 PM »
the advance curve depends on a lot of factors Cam , intake , Rear end gear , converter stall speed , qiucker advance is better if it wil not ping / detonate

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline mjb765

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:36:10 PM »
I was thinking to leave it stock for now also. If you got the one that is in the link you posted you got the quicker advance (high performance) springs already in it. Is that the one you have??

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:38:21 PM »
Yes.  I put a 6-pack intake on so I wanted something a step up out of the box.  I think you'll be real happy with the kit.

Offline mjb765

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2007 - 10:40:34 PM »
the advance curve depends on a lot of factors Cam , intake , Rear end gear , converter stall speed , qiucker advance is better if it wil not ping / detonate

The cam sounds mild, rear end approx 3.55, and it's a 4 speed. Should I stay stock or go for the quicker advance?

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007 - 01:20:08 AM »
Kit comes with two light springs but you could just use 1 and keep the other 1 stock. That would speed it up a bit and should work good unless your compression is 10 to 1 or more.

I love my MSD, most folks said I was over doing it going with a 7 box but with my 6 box and holley HP dp I was getting a bog from the light if I floored it too fast. After getting the 7 al box and the HVC coil the bog was gone no matter how fast I floored it. Motor idles good cold too and never stalls even in 30 degree weather and the HP has no choke, with the 6 box it stall when cold now and then.

Mancini still has some MSD 7 al boxes with the black Mopar name on them. Believe they are like $333, not cheap and the 8251 coil is another $125 but I am so happy I got mine a few years ago. I never go back to the 6 box again unless it was a stock motor. MSD did stop making them and has a "better" 7 box now for $550, thats over doing it, IMO but I haven't use it either.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007 - 01:23:22 AM by dodge freak 2 »

Offline mjb765

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2007 - 01:22:33 AM »
So the MP kit comes with multiple springs??? Then it's an easy decision. The description doesn't sound like it has more than 1 set.