Iron heads

Author Topic: Iron heads  (Read 590 times)

Offline mach3107

Iron heads
« on: November 04, 2007 - 08:58:15 PM »
Looking to build a strong 440 on a budget for my 73 challenger. I'm looking for 500+hp on pump gas to drive on the street.  I was wondering what heads to go with. My donor motor is a 440 form a 1978 1 ton. any suggestions.

thanks for your help

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Iron heads
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2007 - 01:02:51 AM »
Well Mopar Stage 5 heads are cheap & will out flow production heads But they have the open chamber whih I dislike unless you use a quench dome piston with them
 I Know Indy has an Iron version of at least 1 head , the SR I believe , Possibly the EZ as well , probably the best choice for performance
 the best choice for production heads IMO is the 915 or the 516 with the closed chamber , ported & with larger valves
,any of the production open chamber heads will work But i would use a quench dome piston to kill detonation   

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moper

• Resident
Re: Iron heads
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007 - 12:42:30 PM »
Any iron head will work witht he right cam. I like the closed chamber types too. to run a milder cam you will need to port the heads to make that level. But either 915 or 516 with 250cfm intake/175cfm exh will make that number with a cam under 245° @ .050 and street exhaust. CLosed chamber lets you build for pump gas better. Open chamber means cam choise gets really critical, and power brakes might be an issue.