Author Topic: Unique Performance in deep doo doo  (Read 8060 times)

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Unique Performance in deep doo doo
« on: November 06, 2007 - 10:40:12 AM »
Not quite E-body related but since they were supposed to be building the Foose Challengers I figured this might interest some people.  Unique Performance outside Dallas has been raided and shut down for title and VIN fraud.  Here's a link to the local story and a video.  These guys are SCREWED with a capital S.

http://cbs11tv.com/topstories/local_story_309192500.html

Offline kingtroll

Re: Unique Performance in deep doo doo
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007 - 10:47:41 AM »
I know someone that has one of those Mustangs but i wonder if his car can be affected.
1974 Barracuda

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007 - 10:55:04 AM »
Too bad.  I like those cars.

Would love to go to the police auction for those 61 confescated cars....  :poopoke:  Imagine picking up an Eleanor car for $2500?  Just dreaming.....
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007 - 10:58:17 AM »
Too bad.  I like those cars.

Would love to go to the police auction for those 61 confescated cars....  :poopoke:  Imagine picking up an Eleanor car for $2500?  Just dreaming.....

I was talking to another guy about that, and he said they will probably all be crushed if it turns out that their titles/VINS are bogus.

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007 - 11:03:40 AM »
Barry's been harping on this topic for as long as I can remember.  This should be a wake-up call for those that haven't taken this seriously.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007 - 11:28:26 AM »
I was talking to another guy about that, and he said they will probably all be crushed if it turns out that their titles/VINS are bogus.

If they are going to go to that extent, why can't the state take the cars, issue them VINs and then sell them with whatever title, salvage or whatever, instead of destroying them?  :clueless:  That way the cars survive and the state makes some $$$?
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline matt63

« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007 - 11:45:51 AM »
Were they trying to re-vin the cars and sell them as new cars?  Were they trying to deceive the buyers? What is the difference between buying one of these and a kit car? If they bought one of the new reproduction mustang shells there would be no difference.  It's a fine line.  I don't know what the laws stipulate so this may be easier said than done. Just playing devils advocate here. :biggrin:
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2007 - 11:58:03 AM »
Were they trying to re-vin the cars and sell them as new cars?  Were they trying to deceive the buyers? What is the difference between buying one of these and a kit car? If they bought one of the new reproduction mustang shells there would be no difference.  It's a fine line.  I don't know what the laws stipulate so this may be easier said than done. Just playing devils advocate here. :biggrin:

That's what makes absolutely no sense at all.  :clueless: It's not like they were trying to clone them and pass them off as originals.  The fact that they ground off the VIN numbers is just shear stupidity.  It's just like taking a 318 vert 71 Cuda and making it a HEMI clone.  You leave the original VIN on and classify it as a clone.  I can't for the life of me figure out what they were trying to gain.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2007 - 12:14:32 PM »
The reporter said that the VIN # was scraped off then an illegitimate VIN was put on.  Then the officer said the salvage title was turned inot a bonded title, then they take the bonded title to a different state to apply for a different title so the vehicle no longer shows a salvage title.   :dunno:

:

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007 - 12:35:08 PM »
I'm confused. Were they trying to pass them off as originals?

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2007 - 12:48:44 PM »
They were Shelby continiuation series, licensed by Carrol Shelby. Therefore they were not clones and were supposedly real Shelbys with a Shelby VIN#
"If there is money involved, Shelby is involved."
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2007 - 12:50:07 PM »
That's the shear stupidity of it all.  There is no such thing as an original blown 500E.  This is just so mind bogglingly stupid.  How could a company with such a public image do this?  I just wonder if Foose is going to be drawn into this  with the Camaros that they were building (I think they sold something like 7 of those).

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2007 - 12:52:50 PM »
They were Shelby continiuation series, licensed by Carrol Shelby. Therefore they were not clones and were supposedly real Shelbys with a Shelby VIN#
"If there is money involved, Shelby is involved."

I see what you're saying, just like the Cobras built 10 or so years ago, but for that to be legit, don't they have to be built new from the ground up?  I guess that's what got them in trouble, taking a plain jane fastback mustang and "turning" it into a continuation?  How dumb can these guys be?

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2007 - 12:57:28 PM »
There is no such thing as an original blown 500E.

They were not born Shelbys, but when Carroll Shelby issues a Shelby VIN to a car, it is in fact a original Shelby Mustang.

BTW, Shelby made one original Super Snake in 1967, but it didn't have a supercharger.
http://www.nvsaac.com/gallery/1967_shelby_gt500_18.htm

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2007 - 01:07:05 PM »
Problem is, cars are reported stolen, reported salvaged, and then they issue a new VIN to them, that is fraud. If they used Dynacorn bodys they are not 1967 models any longer, they are 2007 models. Btw, heard one story about a Dynacorn body beeing listed on ebay, seller got a call from Unique, they wanted to buy, he ended the acution, sendt them the body, and never got his money. Similar storys are poping up all over the net. Sad...