Author Topic: Unique Performance in deep doo doo  (Read 8068 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Unique Performance in deep doo doo
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2007 - 01:52:37 PM »
They were not born Shelbys, but when Carroll Shelby issues a Shelby VIN to a car, it is in fact a original Shelby Mustang.

BTW, Shelby made one original Super Snake in 1967, but it didn't have a supercharger.
http://www.nvsaac.com/gallery/1967_shelby_gt500_18.htm

Weren't there some Shelby mustangs with Paxton superchargers? 
 :clueless:
I think I saw one at a car show and the newer mustangs are duplicating those from the factory or dealer.  I saw a new one at Tasca Ford.
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2007 - 02:50:45 PM »
What if they took the original VIN's from these cars and used them to title another car that had been salvaged or scrapped or rebuilt or whatnot?  Couldn't they have used those VINs to make another car "original?"

Irregardless, that's REALLY bad news for them, and those customers are going to have every option to turn around and sue.

Sucks to be them!

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline 73Chally

• Resident

moparniac

« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2007 - 04:13:17 PM »
They did have superchargers...one was on barret jackson...

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2007 - 05:36:07 PM »
The article states that "The company restored Shelby Mustangs, a limited-edition muscle car, for a price of $200,000 per car. "

Who the hell ever said they did that???

I tought they created shelbys out of rotted out "lesser" mustangs.

If that is what they were advertising to their customers, which I doubt they were, then the should be in trouble. 

If they were advertising that you were buyign a continuation shelby, which I think they were, I think someone would have checked what the laws were before they started selling the cars.

Sounds like a big misunderstanding to me. :dunno:
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007 - 06:19:42 PM »
How does this affect the cars they already sold? 

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007 - 09:39:55 PM »
How does this affect the cars they already sold? 

I would be willing to bet that any cars they sold are going to be confiscated since they are probably illegal (Unless they made it out of the country already).

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007 - 11:53:22 AM »
I think the company is STUFFED for fraud. The only thing that makes sense is.... earn all that money, send out no cars... = money for nothing. Guess they never plannd on getting caught in thiefery.

What Im not understanding is... Years ago (Before I saw a real car - DODGE CHALLENGER) I myself wondererd about the GT550E (ofcourse this was after watching gone in 60seconds)

What I dont get is... the limited edition 550E (150 to be made and signed by carol shelby and u enter the FORD registry as a legitimate owner of 1 of these carol shelby cars) and 75 GT550ESS (supersnakes with a supercharger running 750HP) all signed by Carol himself.

Now im confused... are all those cars bull and carol shelby is a thief for supporting garbage OR is it saying that some company that was "working with" carol shelby decided to stuff around, and do stuff which was not legal. Since there was only 150 real E's made and 75 ESS made... why are they making more? I was sure that they all sold already. I dont get it.

$90 000 US - was for the 500E's, and $150 000 US was for the performance version SS (ofcourse only half of these available so they were rarer also) :dunno: :clueless: :clueless: :banghead:

They did sell many of them, they just didn't care to deliver them to the people who paid for them.
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline ChallengerGary

• Resident
    • Challenger Gary
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2007 - 06:42:01 PM »
Didn't see any of the Foose Challenger's in the news clips.  Wonder if they hasd any of those confiscated too.
2006 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab 5.7 Hemi

1972 Dodge Demon - "new" project

AND TOO MANY OTHER MOPARS THROUGH MY HANDS TO COUNT

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2007 - 06:54:41 PM »
One of those pages said that they couldn't believe that Shelby would be involved with such a scam.  Didn't he do something similar with some "old" Cobra chassis that had been "stored in the desert" a while back?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2007 - 07:05:59 PM »
Were these cars to be sold with the original vin and a separate tag to identify them as Shelbys or with new vins as a kit type car?Either way spending 1-200,000(way overpriced IMO) and geting excuses as to why you are not recieving you car is BS and sounds like something fishy was going on.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2007 - 07:37:01 AM »
Only thing I can think of is they were trying to hide the fact that the cars had salvage titles. 

I can see why Barry is so picky about this.  If they confiscate a 1/2 million$ car or two, there's gonna be some mighty upset people.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline back n black

« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2007 - 09:29:54 AM »
I vote for the state to reissue some titles for these cars and sell them! 

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2007 - 10:59:33 AM »
So.................. Carol Shelby was in on the scam - and these gone in 60 sedcond cars that were to sell and enter in the regestry of Ford is Bogus? (the whole lot is SHnITzel)  :banghead:

Carroll Shelby has his name on this and that but I think he really doesn't know a lot of goings ons of things associated with his name on it. 

Other people, managers/publicists/etc... are really the ones involved.  I think even with his Childrens Heart Foundation, he wasn't aware that his foundation wasn't making the necessary charitable donations that it should've.  It's not like he counts the money personally that comes in.  :2cents:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2007 - 11:05:13 AM »
Unfortuantely that's the problem with Shelby.  He has his hands in so many things that he probably has no idea what's going on.  With regards to Unique's claim that the 427 motors shipped from Shelby not working, Carol claims he knew nothing about that problem until last month  :clueless: .  How can that be when they are probably $40K a pop?  It all seems a little fishy, and lots of finger pointing coming up.