Author Topic: Hemi noises!  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Mike71Cuda

Hemi noises!
« on: November 07, 2007 - 12:09:00 PM »
After burning in cam on my new Hemi (not crate) I redid all fluids and started this passed weekend. Had it up near 2000rpm (had oil pres) but a nasty valevetrain noise on drivers side towards front of engine. Not being  an engine guru wondered what the pros here think.
Flat tappet cam with hydraulic cam
Smitty

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Hemi noises!
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007 - 12:15:45 PM »
I'm no pro but my first step would be to remove the valve cover on the effected side and look for physical signs of failure/loose rocker/etc....  :2cents:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2007 - 12:28:47 PM »
Yes that was plan, just wondered other than seeing something damaged what would be an issue, a lifter collapsed etc

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007 - 12:43:52 PM »
Who built it? The rocker systems on Hemis can be a bear if they havent done many good ones...Was the block square decked?

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2007 - 02:04:34 PM »
Lou Vignongna. Racer builder from Wappingers Falls NY
Yes block was decked

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2007 - 04:40:44 PM »
Is it a hard tap, a light tap, or a ticking?  Was it making any noise during cam break in?  Does it sound like 1 valve or multiple valves?  If 1, maybe just an adjuster backed off.  Pull the cover and check everything including valve lash.  Also, check for broken valve springs, including the innner ones.  Let us know what you discover....   Oldschool     :cooldancing:   
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline 67Vette427

• My other car is not a Rambler
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2007 - 05:01:56 PM »
I set up the heads on my 528 Hemi and it broke in fine. I did have a problem with the 67 Vette big block with a lifter failing to pump up and it made a BIG TACK TACK TACK as it ran. Luckily, I caught it before it damaged the block but it did start to mushroom the lifter.

I'd take the valve covers off and inspect everything closely. You may even have to pull the intake to check the lifters. If its a pretty severe solid sound I wouldn't run it until you check it. Maybe since you paid somebody you can take it to them and see if they'll fix it.

If its more of a tick that a solid tack then you can adjust the lifters again and take out any excess play there might be. I adjusted mine just like the big block chevy since the cams are hydraulic with adjustable arms. You can fire it with the valve cover off and put some pressure on each rocker to see if they're loose. If they are tighten them a bit.
1 of 1 Mr Norm's T/A/ 2015 Hellcat, sublime/ 13 Power Wagon

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007 - 06:01:53 PM »
I known Lou for a long time when I raced SuperStock. He knows his Hemi's. It sounds like a bad lifter or could be a bad valve spring. Just take off the valve covers and look real close. If it is something else I'm sure Lou will take care of it.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007 - 11:06:00 PM »
one of the rockers could be out of adjustment as Hemis do have adjustable valvetrain  or collapsed lifter

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2007 - 12:39:25 PM »
Take it back to Lou. I agree, he's definately reputable. But I wouldnt kep running it. It can get more expensive than having it fixed...

Offline Mike71Cuda

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007 - 01:07:00 PM »
Thanks for all the responses.
Lou built it a number of years ago as a magazine project article (read free). Although I am sure he would hook me up I am going to see if I can handle down here myself. Glad to hear you guys have good words for Lou! He and his family are real good people. If you need work they are as said above reputable and fair