Author Topic: My exhaust is too loud - best way to quiet it down?  (Read 14545 times)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
My exhaust is too loud - best way to quiet it down?
« on: November 08, 2007 - 08:05:49 PM »
I know you don't hear this very often but my car is too loud. My car came with an all new stainless exhaust system and what looks like new Flowmasters. It all looks great but its louder than I like. I have to turn the stereo up loud to hear it.  It drowns out a lot of the low end as well. The car has headers and exhaust that runs all the way out thru the rear valance. Whats the best solution? Some stock forced air mufflers or ? 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
Re: My exhaust is too loud - best way to quiet it down?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007 - 08:22:59 PM »
Get a better (louder) stereo!!  :smilielol: :smilielol: Muscle cars are supposed to loud!!  :2thumbs: Really though, the only suggestion I could think of would be to change mufflers. Flowmasters are a good muffler and are known to flow well and sound great. Maybe something with more baffles or maybe swap out the motor for a slant six??? Just kiddin!!! But who wants a quiet muscle car??  :dunno:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007 - 09:24:57 PM »
Where are the flow masters located? If not by the sides of the fuel tank, you could add the factory one there and put the tips on them too

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007 - 09:25:30 PM »
yeah, I know. It seems sacrilegious doesn't it?  I think loud is okay but what I have now is too loud. Am looking for something in between original exhaust and what I have now.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007 - 09:33:32 PM »
Where are the flow masters located? If not by the sides of the fuel tank, you could add the factory one there and put the tips on them too

They are forward of the axle and aft of the rear door line. I was thinking of replacing the Flowmasters and hadnt considered additional mufflers. So what would I want to put there? 

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007 - 09:50:43 PM »
I have found that those "cherry bombs" mufflers do the trick.

Keep your mufflers now and by the fuel tank where the tail pipe runs, you do have those right, cut it with a hack saw and fit in a 2 1/2 or 2/14- what ever the tail pipes are-around a 16 " long straight "cherry bomb" muffler. They cost like $20 each, then stick a straight pipe in till in just passes the bumper.

It really helps out and I don't believe it chokes it up that much. Cheap, easy to do and even last a long time, believe it or not.

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007 - 10:07:07 PM »
When I go on a long cruise and want to hear my stereo and talk at a normal tone , I put these Car Chemistry inserts in my collectors. They quiet it down like 7db's. Go to Summit's web site under Car Chemistry. They make different sizes and two or three disc's. If you have headers it takes 10 minutes to install..

Offline Robb

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007 - 10:49:51 PM »
I got the same problem, with Dynomax super turbos.   I added a pair of 10 inch glass pack resonators and it helped a little but didnt kill that drone at 2000 rpm.  its flat uncomfortable to ride for more than 30 minutes, left ear gets all tin-canny, and lasts all day..

everyone says  d s t   is the quietest too ?   might try those or Magnaflows.     I threw a magnaflow on the jeep and it isnt bad.

accurate exhaust has the factory style resonators and mufflers as well for a more factory like setup.  not bad prices and the owner is straight forward about what he thinks is best for your car/desires even if it loses him a sale. 

70 Challenger SE  (440 SIX PACK / Keisler 5 speed, R/T SE replication)       68 Sport Satellite Convertible 383 Super Commando / 727  Survivor

2002 Trans AM WS6 convertible:  DD
1999 4Runner 4x4:  lifted-locked-armored  expedition vehicle
1990 Jeep XJ 4x4:  Front Dana 60, GM-14bolt rear, 3 link, 4link, 5.38 detroits, beadlocked 40's, stretched to 110" wb  Rock Crawler

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007 - 12:20:48 PM »
The drone on flowmasters is from the rpm and pressure waves. If you change behind the muffler, you wont lose any of it. I would look into have a set of bullet style Dynomax mufflers sectioned in ahead of the mufflers. They make some real small ones. Or the collector baffle will work. But that does take power. Dynomax Superturbos are fairly quiet too. Or a set of flowmasters with more chambers. My car as 2 chamber 4" in and out, my truck has 2 1/2 with 3 chamber Delta Flows and is very quiet. You can even hear the flasher for the turn signals...lol.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2007 - 01:05:03 AM »
On my 600 horse Cuda I have a 3 inch TTI exhaust with Dynomax Superturbos. Used to have flowmasters but they were insanely noisy. I also use those little orange foam ear plugs you can get at Walmart. Car sounds great, and the ears are saved.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 67Vette427

• My other car is not a Rambler
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2007 - 02:57:07 AM »
I have flowmasters on the Cuda with the 528 Hemi and its pretty loud and shakes the neighbors houses so I'm pretty careful when I run it. I had flowmasters on the 67 Vette but since the mufflers are at the back of those cars, with only the chrome tail tip behind them the drone was really bad on the freeway. I switched them out with the hooker mufflers. It ended the drone and sounds real good under throttle.

Those inserts look pretty cool... kind of like the old Supertraps... I had some things like those for the stacks on my jet boat back in the day...
1 of 1 Mr Norm's T/A/ 2015 Hellcat, sublime/ 13 Power Wagon

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2007 - 08:41:51 AM »
Hey CP nice web site, I like the lowering kit.... :roflsmiley:

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2007 - 09:15:45 AM »
I was kind of interested in the O pipe but I am guessing it will bring back some of my overheating issues. Not do-able for me   :smilielol:

After doing some reading its nice to know I'm not alone. Seems like lots of folks are annoyed to some degree with Flowmasters and their excessive noise and the 2000rpm drone. I think I need to ditch them and just go with some multi-chamber units. Everything on my car is name brand stuff, what do you think about going to a respectable muffler shop and getting their best quality off the shelf units? I have not had to visit a muffler shop in years.   

Actually I am not sure these are Flowmasters but they sure look like them. They are 2.5" in and out.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2007 - 01:24:31 PM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2007 - 10:08:03 AM »
I have never been impressed with the Flowmasters , the Hooker Aerochambers are a great alternative , well built & nice sound
 I Highly doubt the O pipe will increase heat , it would never run long enough to get warm LOL  :smilielol:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t