Author Topic: My exhaust is too loud - best way to quiet it down?  (Read 14550 times)

Offline Grancoupe

Re: My exhaust is too loud - best way to quiet it down?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2007 - 10:15:33 AM »
I agree about the Aerochamber's. i have a set on dual 3in exhaust. They are located under the back seat like the flowmaster's i had before. Big difference in my oppinion on the noise inside the car. My neighbor who was into cars as well mentioned he thought it was louder outside of the car but inside the car is a bit quieter until you hit the throttle that is. If that makes any sense.

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2007 - 10:50:10 AM »
I want quiet inside and out. You know my 2000 Tundra I just sold seemed to have it right. Very quiet inside and out but when you stepped on it it was loud enough that people driving next to you would look over to see where the noise is coming from. I am less concerend about any pefromance hit I might take going with a forced air solution. Are those forced air units I have on there now? 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2007 - 12:02:16 PM »
Mike, I am in the EXACT same boat. those are the same mufflers i am running 2.5" Flowmasters. We have to find an alternative. We just went to look at a house and the garage is under the house. I am certain that the adjacent neighbors would lose their rear windows when my Challenger starts up under the house!!

I will stay posted to find a good alternative.  :working:

:popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2007 - 12:32:07 PM »
I have 3 chamber flowmasters 3" in and out with an "X" crossover and the only time it's loud is at idle or WOT. I think the crossover helps a lot, do you have a crossover on yours and if so, is it an "H" or "X". The mufflers are probably the cheapest and simplest solution to your problem though since you have stainless exhaust.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2007 - 12:40:44 PM »
Im running an "H" pipe on mine.....  :chatting:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2007 - 01:30:17 PM »
My 340 is running headers with straight dual exhaust with the illustrated muffers installed run all the way out the rear valance with those rectangular tips.   
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline 67Vette427

• My other car is not a Rambler
« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2007 - 02:14:24 PM »
Those look like flowmasters.....  I like the aerochambers on the Vette..... alot    The only reason I left the flows on the cuda is because I didn't care if it was loud.
1 of 1 Mr Norm's T/A/ 2015 Hellcat, sublime/ 13 Power Wagon

Offline moper

• Resident
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2007 - 12:24:50 PM »
"Flowmaster" is a brand. not a muffler. They make a ton of them, and what most guys have are "the cheapest ones"... Meaning 2 chamber, and if they are older than 2 years, they are probably not "delta flow" flowmasters. Thye are quieter still. i frankly love the sound. The muffler bran for what I do means nothing except in a sound context. So i run them on everything but my Neon...lol. On the front of that muffler will be a stamp. The part number. Get that off them and see what you have. 3 chambers are much quieter and have almost no drove. But you have a huge powerful engine. So it will be loud unless you restrict it a bit. If it were me, I'd be looking at adding bullets, and perhaps changing to 3 chamber if you dont have it. Maybe even adding something like a set of Dynomax Turbo Tubes behind the axle. Or, stick stock type truck mufflers under it. 2 1/2 fits a bunch. Put stockers on it and settle with the power loss. It WILL still be loud under full throttle...lol.

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007 - 01:39:55 PM »
Mike, why don't you just add some good sound deadener/ thermal barrier? That is what I plan to do to my car. I have already purchased all the materials and plan to do it this week. Total it is going to cost me around $350.00 but should really make a difference in the noise and heat inside the car. It is much less expensive than dynomat...

Here are two websites:
http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com
http://www.raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2007 - 01:43:37 PM »
Mike, why don't you just add some good sound deadener/ thermal barrier?

I think I have spent about $400 in Dynamat. I dId all the floors, the doors (inside and interior side), the firewall and cowl, etc. I didnt have much drive time prior to the restoration but I would bet the original owner could tell the difference.   
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2007 - 01:44:59 PM »
Put stockers on it and settle with the power loss. It WILL still be loud under full throttle...lol.

That's what I am thinking, as I really dont burn up the road with my car. Am too afraid I'll break something.  :eek4:

I want my car to be reliable, look and sound good and admittedly, that's about it. For someone that drives like I do I doubt I would know the difference except that my expensive stereo wouldn't sound like a cheap transistor radio anymore.  :lol:

What do you think max HP loss might be? Maybe as much as 5hp depending on restriction or ?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007 - 01:47:00 PM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2007 - 08:38:06 PM »
I have Flowmaster 50's series with an X-pipe now. If I were to do it over, I probably would not buy Flowmasters again. My buddy is asking me if I wanted to sell my complete exhaust without the headers, I'm thinking it might be a good time to change to maybe those Hooker's or something without the drone. I also would do the X-pipe again. Two reasons, 1. it makes the car quieter 2. It also make the cam sound smaller so you can fool some of the guys when you street race.. You don't have that stereo affect, just mono sound  :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 12, 2007 - 08:40:34 PM by vinb »

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2007 - 03:08:26 AM »
That site is way funny!    :smilielol:

Yes it is  :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2007 - 06:34:06 AM »
I am going to start with losing the Flowmasters. I found some new Magnaflows on CL this a.m. really cheap but I dont want the Flowmaster volume. Am unfamiliar with their line, which Magnaflows are the quietest?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger