Author Topic: PRO FLO EFI FUEL INJECTION  (Read 3424 times)

Offline dodge freak 2

PRO FLO EFI FUEL INJECTION
« on: November 09, 2007 - 06:01:20 PM »
Seen this for sale on the E-gamble site  ;D, call it that cause you never know what you get. Maybe the buy of the week or you get ripped off.

Anyways, anybody ever use one of these, with gasoline so high $$ and still going up, I would think mileage would have to be better than a carb. But it cost so much and seems like so much could go wrong but if I was going to do F.I. this is the way to go, beats that set up where you just replace the carb. This looks more high tech having 8 F.I. right close to the ports.

EDELBROCK PRO FLO      

EDELBROCK PRO FLO EFI FUEL INJECTION CHRYSLER SB MOPAR 
340/360 MOPAR 64-91 small block chrysler brand new!   Item number: 230190242606 E-Bay

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: PRO FLO EFI FUEL INJECTION
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007 - 06:39:55 PM »
Here's the auction...  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230190242606&ru=http://motors.search.ebay.com:80/230190242606_W0QQfromZR40QQfviZ1

You will still pay more than 2 grand(my guess). ShelbyDogg has this system on his 440. Pretty cool, and it definitely helps with gas mileage.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2007 - 08:50:09 PM »
They're not going to make anymore power than a Holly double pumper, and who cares about mileage on a muscle car. Around town may go from 15 mpg to 17 mpg.  I could think of a lot more things to do with $2000 that would make my car better. Just my opinion.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2007 - 08:53:15 PM by cudabob496 »
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2007 - 10:39:08 PM »
I think so, in fact the DP might make a bit more power...F.I. can make more but then the injecters have to be big, then the motor does not idle good...

Oh, I was one of those who laughed about gas mileage but now when I drop a $100 a week in it and still don't get to drive it as much as I like, it matters. I like driving my car, not waxing it and sitting on the hood drinking beer at a drive inn.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007 - 02:09:11 AM »
in reality the EFI is more accurate & usually more tunable which Should increase milage , power & wear inside the engine with less fuel wash ,the down side is the cost has not come down enough to make it pay for most people
I just started the 68 EFI 440 RR last week , heading to the dyno tuesday to max the tuning on it ...this should be very interesting  :burnout:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007 - 02:22:58 AM »
in reality the EFI is more accurate & usually more tunable which Should increase milage , power & wear inside the engine with less fuel wash ,the down side is the cost has not come down enough to make it pay for most people
I just started the 68 EFI 440 RR last week , heading to the dyno tuesday to max the tuning on it ...this should be very interesting  :burnout:

that will be. I'm old school I guess, and always understood that EFI could not beat out a WOT Holley 4150 or bigger.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007 - 02:32:04 AM »
I used to believe that too But working with my local dyno operator , he also bet it would not make more power until he did a back to back tune , first with a carb then with EFI & gained over 25 hp with the EFI even at WOT not just in the midrange & drivability

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007 - 04:01:38 AM »
Given todays technological advances, computers and all, I guess that shouldn't be a surprise. I must have been remembering an old Hot Rod article 20 years ago. Questions is then, I suppose, is EFI worth the money for what it accomplishes. Probably depends what we are trying to accomplish, and how much money we have.

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2007 - 10:42:35 PM »
Well it did not sell. $1600 was the highest bid.

In fact only 6 people bid a $1000 or more for it.

I know winter is coming and things are going so great for many folks so that might explain it. Then again thats still alot of cash for a maybe it be great.

What bugs me is not so much how it be when brand new, its how long it last. If its like these new cars, it start losing power every year, maybe every 6 months or so. So much can mess up.

First the injectors start geting plug-yeah they can be clean a few times, then the fuel pump starts losing pressure, then the good old computer might not react as fast-being in a car which can get very hot and very cold plus bang around is not good for them. All that wiring too gets old after awhile and computers are very picky about voltage.

So while it might make more power than a carb--and its hard to do a 100% back to back test, since the intake manifolds are not the same--what about 1 year, 10,000 miles later...the carb would be be like brand new with a $5 can of cleaner and new gaskets, this F.I. would need much more to be like new again.

Told myself awhile back, until  the Indy 500 gets run with F.I. instead of a Holley carb, I am not getting one...just the thought of getting much better mileage is temping me to break my promise---but I did not bid--Eddy needs to put a 30 day, money back if not happy with it, to get me to try it right now.

They offer a 1 year money back if not happy with their carbs, so I am not so far off base...maybe 1 day...
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007 - 11:01:08 PM by dodge freak 2 »

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007 - 03:02:24 AM »
Well it did not sell. $1600 was the highest bid.

In fact only 6 people bid a $1000 or more for it.

I know winter is coming and things are going so great for many folks so that might explain it. Then again thats still alot of cash for a maybe it be great.

What bugs me is not so much how it be when brand new, its how long it last. If its like these new cars, it start losing power every year, maybe every 6 months or so. So much can mess up.

First the injectors start geting plug-yeah they can be clean a few times, then the fuel pump starts losing pressure, then the good old computer might not react as fast-being in a car which can get very hot and very cold plus bang around is not good for them. All that wiring too gets old after awhile and computers are very picky about voltage.

So while it might make more power than a carb--and its hard to do a 100% back to back test, since the intake manifolds are not the same--what about 1 year, 10,000 miles later...the carb would be be like brand new with a $5 can of cleaner and new gaskets, this F.I. would need much more to be like new again.

Told myself awhile back, until  the Indy 500 gets run with F.I. instead of a Holley carb, I am not getting one...just the thought of getting much better mileage is temping me to break my promise---but I did not bid--Eddy needs to put a 30 day, money back if not happy with it, to get me to try it right now.

They offer a 1 year money back if not happy with their carbs, so I am not so far off base...maybe 1 day...

Also it seems like there are many many ways to get an extra 30 or so hp out of an engine for a lot less money. Lets see:
Shave the sparkplugs - 5 hp, go to electric fan and dump the viscous fan, 15 hp, good tune up, 15 hp, cold ram air box, 25 hp, undersize pulleys, 10 hp, synthetic oils and fluids - 20 hp to rear wheels, K&N filters, 10 hp, MSD like ignition, 15 hp, windage tray, 20 hp, port work, 50 hp, new cam, 30 hp, new intake, 20 hp, bigger exhaust, 20 hp, etc etc etc.

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007 - 03:08:19 AM »
I have yet to witness an MSD gain HP over an ignition systm in good condition but the rest work & for less $$

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007 - 01:07:42 PM »
MSD makes more power--the 7, 8 and the 10 boxes--if the motors are built for racing. When you are talking about 13 to 15-1 compression ratios, dual carbs or carbs that are over 1000 cfm, very high rpms, etc. Theres no way a point or reg. mopar spark box can be as good under those condions.

People put on a 850 dp and just a plain spark box on and the motor bogs down. Then everybody cry's the carbs too big, true a smaller carb would help but so would a powerful spark, like from a MSD 7 or 8 box. MSD does claim their 8 boxes are good for the street with the right coil but few get that but the 850 carb many more try.

A MSD 8 box will burn the fuel much better even if its too rich, people put F.I. on and then the motor picks up power but maybe because the fuel is mix better with the air. I like to see back to back tests from a carb and F.I. where a MSD 10 box is used....I believe that might be why the Indy 500 still use carbs.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007 - 01:11:19 PM by dodge freak 2 »

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007 - 01:44:34 PM »
Now fuel mileage might be a whole nother story. A F.I. unit like from Eddy might give a 20-30% gain...and the way gas prices have been going, it could start to pay for itself-even at $3000 if one drives enough.

I wounder if my 10 mpg could be 15 mpg with that unit. If so that be a 50% gain...if I spend $5000 a year on gas, it would start saving me money after just over 1 year.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2007 - 01:49:17 PM »
More likely with all the sactioning bodys trying to limit or reduce top speeds carbs may be more limiting than EFI

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2007 - 10:47:01 PM »
I have yet to witness an MSD gain HP over an ignition systm in good condition but the rest work & for less $$

I sure noticed a significant difference when I put an MSD 6AL on my Cuda, in place of an orange box. Started up easier, and seemed to pull stronger through the rpm band. I did go with the bigger MSD spark plug wires, but my blue max wires were fairly new. Then when I went to an MSD distributor, things seemed to be even better. The MSD box also allows me to gap my plugs to 60 thousands, and cut back the plug electrodes, for a bigger spark, and thus more power.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007 - 10:49:20 PM by cudabob496 »

2011 Kawasaki Z1000