Blueglow's 70 purple adventure...

Author Topic: Blueglow's 70 purple adventure...  (Read 4525 times)

Offline longgone

Blueglow's 70 purple adventure...
« on: November 14, 2007 - 08:32:26 PM »
So here is my Cuda story...
Ten years ago, I owned a 70' 383 matching numbers orange with black vinyl top cuda.  I bought it before Mopar prices went out the roof (paid about $7K for it) and sold it for about $30K a few years ago.  I sold it to help fund a small farm I bought for my family... 
I woke up one day several years later and wanted another project car...  Knowing it had to be a Mopar, I thought about a Demon as I have always loved the 340 Demon cars...  But then I ran across a nice Purple 440 six pack car with white interior that needed some drive train work.  The car is solid without an ounce of rust or body filler anywhere.  The car does not have the matching numbers motor and tranny still in it  :violin: I wish it did.  I think the car was a good price but after getting it, it has turned into more of a project than I had planned.  Since it's turned into more of an upgrade project, i thought I would start this thread to document it's mini-restoration.

So here is what I've done so far:

1. Installed beautiful rallye dash from RTE http://rt-eng.com/   Had a few problems with tach but RTE fixed that right away.  All in all was a pretty simple but tedious install.  Looks great now.  Had some wiring to do and sending units to replace.  Also, the car is an original A/C car so the dash panel below the steering wheel had to be replaced with a rallye panel (ouch!).  They are tough to find and expensive when you do. 

2. Installed rimblow wheel from plumbeeper.  http://www.rimblowsteeringwheels.com/  Went on easy, 15 min job tops.  Looks amazing.

3. Fixed gas leak I had at tank output.

4. Tuned up 6 pack... no trivial job but its done.

5. Fixed few exhaust rattles I had (car had brand new 3" exhaust when I got it but needed some pro touches to make it right).

What is underway at this time:

1. MPBrakes disc brake kit being installed.  http://www.mpbrakes.com/

2. Keisler 5 speed being installed.  Took FOREVER  :banghead: to get all the pieces from Keisler, ordered kit on Aug 10th, just got the clutch pedal kit (last missing piece) last week (Nov 9th). http://www.keislerauto.com/mopar/e-body.html

3. Ordered Dana 60 w/ Truetrac differential with 373 gears, upgraded bearing kit and rear disc brake kit from Dr. Diff (Cass).  This guy is the guru of knowledge when it comes to Mopar rear ends.  He spent a ton of time with me on the phone multiple times talking through options and weighing pros/cons of various options.  He knows his stuff!  http://members.aol.com/doctordiff/

Next on the list:

1. New carpet to match the 4 speed hump.  Already ordered and in hand.  http://www.accmats.com/

2. Notch out console for 4 speed, car had a 727 auto in it.  (anyone have instructions on how to do this?)

3. Buy 2 15x8" mopar rallyes for rear.  Car has 15x7 all way around right now. Put new tires all way around, car has way too small of tires on it now although they are brand new.  Going with 275-60-15 on rear and 235-70-15 on the front BF T/A radials.

Maybe down the road:

1. Next time car needs a paint job (one on it now brand new) probably do the shaker hood.

2. Undercoat the car (any recommendations on this?)

Thats it for now.  There have been a million little things along the way that have slowed me down but all in all it's moving along.  Plans are to have it all ready for spring.  I want to hit the Spring Grand Rod run in Pigeon Forge TN in April and the local cruise in's they have in my home town.  Here are a few pics from along the way.  Something about taking pics of this car in the day light makes it look a shade of blue, it is pretty darn purple...

Thanks for reading,
Blueglow

11/20/2007 Update - When putting on the MP Power Brake kit, we realized much of the front end rubber was aged, worn and needed replacing.  After researching on CC I went with a kit that contains MOOG hardware and Energy Suspension polygraphite rubber from Mopars by Crane http://moparsbycrane.com.  Hoping to have kit next week and finish up install before rear end gets here.

11/28/2007 Update - Realized the car didn't have a front sway bar.  Car was drag raced for some period during it's life and it was removed then we are guessing.  Ordered new front end sway bar from firmfeel http://www.firmfeel.com/swaybars_e.htm.  Rear end from Dr. Diff going to be early January now Cass is telling me so I'm going to get the car back home and drive it a few weeks before tearing into transmission swap. 

2/16/2008 Update - Got car finally up on the rack for the transmission swap.  Hoping to be done by end of Feb. 
Pics will follow.

2/28/2008 Update - Making good progress...  :working:

Got the old trans out

Got the new sway bar from firmfeel installed

Working on the inside, removing console, shifter, etc...

Got the Dana 60 from Dr. Diff installed...  Dang bolts rusted while sitting waiting for install over the winter.  Only rust on the car...

New Transmission awaiting a new home....

4 speed hump being installed....

My new 8" rims with tires mounted....

Rear view of the car with tag... Still got the rear valance out from putting in the dana 60.  Yeah I'm a gun nut too....

Rear quarter with Trany awaiting....

Just waiting on Keisler to ship me my drive shaft cut to length at this point...
More to come....
Blueglow
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008 - 04:37:24 PM by blueglow »

Offline gb70

Re: Blueglow's 70 purple adventure...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2007 - 09:37:38 PM »
Looking great.  Sounds like a super nice drive train.   :2thumbs:

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2007 - 07:04:39 PM »
That's a BEAUTIFUL car.  :worshippy

Mine was originally plumb-crazy with a white interior. Someone saw to it to make it something else.  :screwy:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007 - 12:16:03 AM »
WOW that is BEEAAUUUUUUUUTIFULLLLLLL!!   :grinyes:  :drool:  :drool:  :drool:

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2007 - 12:34:15 AM »
I love your car!   :bigsmile:   :droolingbounce:   

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline cudagirl4406pk

• Yes i am a Girl and No you cant drive my CUDA
    • Garageartmusclecars
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2007 - 02:00:56 AM »
Looks really nice good job.
Yes i am a girl and no you cant drive my MOPAR :)

Offline EvilTwinATX

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2007 - 02:56:36 AM »
You have an incredible car!! WOW!!

Offline longgone

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2007 - 09:15:55 PM »
Added update in original section today.  Fun fun fun... starting to feel like a money pit but boy will it be right.
Blueglow

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2007 - 11:44:08 PM »
Nice car  :ylsuper:
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2007 - 01:17:11 PM »
Wow.   :worshippy :worshippy

Offline longgone

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008 - 08:47:06 PM »
Trans swap finally underway...
Details and pics coming...
Blueglow

Offline 808cuda

• RARE Fish!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008 - 10:59:09 PM »
Hey blueglow.

That is one beautiful Cuda!

The shade of Plum Crazy is EXACTLY the shade of plum crazy I would want. You wouldn't happen to have any extra paint in a can with brand and paint code do you?
Nice ride!
1970 N96 Cuda 340 4speed (now Keisler 5 speed)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008 - 11:46:31 PM »
What did the original engine used to be?   Great looking car you got there

Offline longgone

« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008 - 06:20:10 AM »
It was a 318 car from factory w/ A/C.

And on the paint question, no I wish I did.  Got the car a few months after it was painted but owner didn't keep any  :pullinghair:

Blueglow

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008 - 10:10:51 AM »
Blue, very nice indeed, and in a way you are lucky for not having matching numbers, you can have all the fun current day tech can offer :woo:
On the paint, now I am seriously worried!!! You mean there are different shades of Plum Crazy. I will be painting mine with that color when I am done restoring.
To me, the shade of the color is probably due to lighting/photography.
Please enlighten me more :clueless:
71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto small block
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Others: http://www.cardomain.com/id/Challenger_7