Author Topic: Dual snorkle air cleaners  (Read 2222 times)

Offline dodge freak 2

Dual snorkle air cleaners
« on: November 17, 2007 - 09:35:57 PM »
How good does the dual snorkle air cleaners flow compare to the 14" open air cleaners ?

Am thinking of getting one and hooking up ducting to get cold air from outside but can not stop thinking its going to choke it up compare to the open air cleaners.

I recall seeing a 1988 Mopar state police car in a dealer garage but when they were around....that air cleaner look cool, it was not a dual snorkle but had the one whole half of it was duct right to the wheel well opening. The faster the car went, the more the air would be ram right in it, must have been over 12" wide the opening.

Offline wiging19

Re: Dual snorkle air cleaners
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2007 - 11:38:45 PM »
I wish you had pictures of that!  Sounds like a pretty mean machine for that day.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007 - 01:08:51 AM »
I have one of these ram air boxes on my Cuda. Good for 25 horsepower. Cold air at a higher pressure to the carb.

http://ramairbox.com/index.html
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007 - 02:16:00 AM »
  Any air that can be directed into the aircleaner from the cooler outside is the way to go. Cooler air amounts to more dense air and therefore more H.P.   :cooldancing:

Yes you do have to make sure that it will flow enough and not become an obstruction. You should make sure that the size of the ducting ( dual snorkle ) is larger than the total area of the throttle bores.   :bigsmile:  Of course two snorkles are better than one.

To get a RAMMING effect your road speed would have to be over say 80mph or more to get any measureable benefit.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007 - 02:20:40 AM »

To get a RAMMING effect your road speed would have to be over say 80mph or more to get any measureable benefit.   :2thumbs:

How did you arrive at 80 mph. I have dual 4 inch snorkles that are fed by alluminum venturi-type cones at the front of the car. I would think that amost any speed will give positive airpressure to the carb over a car that is standing still.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007 - 02:41:14 AM »
  I am only going on the info I had back in the late 60's when I was building and racing. All the testing we did and the dyno figures showed no increase below 80mph.

Also in Australia we had a factory 351 ford with a bug catcher shaker through the hood and it didn't open until around 90mph as ford found it gave no benefit until then.

If you restrict the flow in a venturi effect it becomes a restriction, I found that it was better to have more potential volume of air coming into the air cleaner than was needed, not less.   :2thumbs:

Don't forget that the air filter itself causes a slowing down of air speed. Also the carby needs an even amount of air from all directions to not impeed the flow down all the carby barrels. 
Dave

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007 - 03:58:19 AM »
  I am only going on the info I had back in the late 60's when I was building and racing. All the testing we did and the dyno figures showed no increase below 80mph.

Also in Australia we had a factory 351 ford with a bug catcher shaker through the hood and it didn't open until around 90mph as ford found it gave no benefit until then.

If you restrict the flow in a venturi effect it becomes a restriction, I found that it was better to have more potential volume of air coming into the air cleaner than was needed, not less.   :2thumbs:

Don't forget that the air filter itself causes a slowing down of air speed. Also the carby needs an even amount of air from all directions to not impeed the flow down all the carby barrels. 

I guess venturi is not the right word I should have used. It's an aluminum cone snorkle like the ones below, that reduce from 6 inches to 4 inches.

http://ramairbox.com/snorkels.html

I have two of these cones at the front of the car feeding two 4 inch lines to a box over the carb. Any movement forward on the car will force air to the carbs. Ford may have not opened the shaker till 90 mph because airflow was not striking the shaker till that speed. I suppose it all depends on where you are placing your air catching device. I also have K&N filters around the carb and on top of the ram air box as well.

2011 Kawasaki Z1000