Author Topic: The 1971 Challenger AutoX / Track Day car  (Read 11590 times)

Offline cudazappa

Re: The 1971 Challenger AutoX / Track Day car
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2009 - 09:26:21 AM »
Your new car looks like a twin to mine!  I've got a '71 that is citron yella with a black top.  Mine is all beat up and crappy looking and the vinyl top was gone when I bought it.  This is the first time I have seen what the color combo really looks like.  Keep us posted with the progress pics man.   :ylsuper:

Kyle

hey, i see you have the body side moulding... Mine is supposed to have that on it!  I have the mouldings in my storage, I'm not putting them back on.
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2009 - 09:31:02 AM »
Ah  a Carlisle purchase?

Nope craigslist, 2 weeks before the show... see this thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59388.new;topicseen#new

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2009 - 09:34:52 AM »
Yes, I remember this car from Carlisle this year, is that the one you bought in MA?

Tom :2thumbs:

some people say I stole it... but yes, that's my car at Carlisle this year.  I'm parked next to donotchallengeher   Sorry I was unable to introduce myself... I carred-out my girlfriend by mid afternoon friday!  We went back Saturday almost all day but we spent it (mostly) shopping for replacement parts and with the MML.  Sunday was a no-go for her.  Oh yeah, she wants to attend next year!!  :eek7:

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2009 - 12:26:57 PM »
Hope she is ok?  Hope to see/meet you next year at the tent.

Tom

Did you drive it down to PA?
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2009 - 01:07:05 PM »
Did you drive it down to PA?

yeah, i don't own a trailer

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2009 - 04:51:16 PM »
Sweet, I met a guy in CT just south of Hatford and we caravaned together this year to central PA.

Look forward to your progress.

Tom

Do you have a new fender for it? 
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2009 - 12:14:25 PM »
Brought the car to my body guy for evaluation time (before the winter...)  Fender will be SAVED!!!

I also have purchased a hinged T/A repro hood (its super lightweight, lighter than my liftoff :clueless:)

And today... I just picked up a set of 4 275/40ZR17 Kumho Victoracers.  Bare minimum, they're for the rear... I'm gonna buy 2 17x9 rims and see how they fit up front...

also... Auto Rusts Subframe connectors are here... those should be going in soon...

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2010 - 04:57:24 PM »
Ok, this starts a 2 month blitzkrieg on trying to get some stuff done before the autox season sets in and the June 17th trip where I will putt putt this rusty bunch of bolts around Lime Rock park...

Today I kicked dad out of the garage (ok, politely asked) and put the challenger in, and on stands.  We removed the hood, and I took care of the hood hinges.

Next up is interior removal so I can cut the floor and weld in the subframe connectors.  and make 1 small patch.

also due up (in no particular order)
Brakes - 79 doba setup
suspension - 1" t-bars, gusset LCAs, gusset steering box, maybe even make some solid tie rod sleeves.
steering - cop car box and new power steering pump
body - try to get the roof to seal.  May need professional help to take out front/rear glass to provide access to problem areas, remove vinyl top, apply sealer/black primer, reinstall mouldings (until rest of car is done, next winter project)
interior - install more supportive bucket seats, tach
trans - fix leak from front fitting going to trans cooler.
rear - 3.23 SG, maybe...
engine - 302 heads w/ 1.88/1.60s, intake (ld4b or ld340 have both) 670 Street Avenger, cam, and headers w/ dual exhaust.

ok, that's about it... gonna try to finish up tonight w/ getting the seats out (damn super bowl/homework also going on...)

also of note: time to get new camera, borrowing the GF's stinks...

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2010 - 05:44:28 PM »
as of today, the interior is out.  All that's left is the dash and steering and pedals.  Discovered that the pass door is not original.  Going to Harbor Freight tomorrow and picking up the $6 air cutter.  will be picking up the small compressor from work and can start on the cutting... so the rest of the weekend is going to waste... oh, valentine's day, right!  :2thumbs:

also now have 17x8 konigs and 245/45 Yoko AVS rubber... going to test fit rims before mounting tires...

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2010 - 05:58:08 PM »
Good plans, what happened with the original primered project car?  :popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010 - 11:38:12 PM »
Good plans, what happened with the original primered project car?  :popcorn:

I sold it to a gentleman in CT to finance the citronyella one.  He sold it to a man in PA.  Last seen Fri at the Carlisle Swap Meet for sale... and it sold!

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2010 - 09:26:25 PM »
very cool progress...im glad to see someone is getting something done.. im still waiting for an interior  :burnout:

Offline brianz426

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2010 - 10:16:21 PM »
Good progress, I'm looking forward to the finished product.  :popcorn:

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2010 - 08:14:07 PM »
spent some quality time today...

Test fitted the 17" rims with the bolt on spacers (I have +30 offset rims, and 30mm spacers, giving me 0 offset)  Konig made the rims with the small ford register, so they won't clear the disc... (aftermarket).  My new rotors come in Tuesday and I'll test fit again...  If I run into the same problem I'll have the first 1/4" of the rotor turned to the ford diameter vs. putting all four rims in a lathe.

Next up was installing the torsion bars.  Man, that was easy the second time around (first time was on my 79 300).  Murphy struck and I need to get new retaining clips.  One was lost to the ravages of time.

Also scored a 76-early 78 caliper adapters locally cheap off of craigslist.  So now I'm just gonna hang the original style pin calipers out, use the Dr Diff bearing spacers, and run the big 'doba rotors.

Tomorrow night is class so no work, but I'm gonna bring home my welder on Tuesday and see if I can add the LCA braces to the list of things done... 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010 - 08:17:41 PM by cudazappa »

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2010 - 10:47:27 PM »
sorry for the late update, but... murphy strikes every now and again..

first off, went to do the spindles on Tuesday... looked all over for my Dr. Diff spacers... nowhere to be found (bought them ~8 months ago).  Re-ordered them to keep moving on the project.

They came on Thursday, but I didn't have the green loctite (#680) to move forward...  fast forward to tonight.  Have everything, BUT broke one of the cotter pins.  Mocked up everything, no problems, packed the bearings, installed the inner bearing seal, put on... wtf, rotor doesn't go back on all the way.  Turns out the factory dust shield didn't want to play nice.  At this point I have two options, modify the dust shield, or run the car without it.  I removed them...

So, I'm going to pick up some new cotter pins, and perform the FSM/E-burg method for setting the rotors.

Also this week my new air compressor is coming in and on top of all this, I may be moving the car into a new (larger) garage in a few weeks.  The extra room can only speed up the process.