Author Topic: The 1971 Challenger AutoX / Track Day car  (Read 11589 times)

Offline brianz426

Re: The 1971 Challenger AutoX / Track Day car
« Reply #30 on: March 01, 2010 - 01:05:11 PM »
some people say I stole it... but yes, that's my car at Carlisle this year.  I'm parked next to donotchallengeher   Sorry I was unable to introduce myself... I carred-out my girlfriend by mid afternoon friday!  We went back Saturday almost all day but we spent it (mostly) shopping for replacement parts and with the MML.  Sunday was a no-go for her.  Oh yeah, she wants to attend next year!!  :eek7:

I didn't see you original post and now the craigslist link is out dated. Do you mind me asking how much you paid? Thanks

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #31 on: March 01, 2010 - 03:43:04 PM »
$7k... a li'l high considering what I've been finding (pass door has been replaced, etc) but still a running/driving E-body....
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline the_engineers

• Resident
  • Cheap, fast, reliable...pick 2
« Reply #32 on: March 01, 2010 - 03:56:21 PM »
Most new cars come without dust sheilds...I wouldn't be too worried about going without.
Brooks

1971 'Cuda 360
2004 Infiniti G35 6-spd Coupe
2001 Toyota Solara Convertible
2002 GMC Savana 1500 Explorer Hightop Conversion
1972 Dodge Dart Swinger...keeping the Slant.  Rocking the turbos.

Offline brianz426

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2010 - 08:15:46 PM »
$7k... a li'l high considering what I've been finding (pass door has been replaced, etc) but still a running/driving E-body....
Very cool Challenger, I love the color, I think you did well.  :2thumbs:

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2010 - 11:27:08 AM »
A little update....

1) subframe connector project - on hold til new garage move in... turns out my parents wiring can't hack my compressor and welder.
2) brakes - done!
3) T-bars - DOne
4) gusset LCAs & steering box mount - on hold til move in...
5) cop steering box - on hold, because I'll gusset the box mount then..
6) Power steering pump - whoops, forgot about this
7) body - again on hold...  hmm.. project rusty racer?  (as long as it passes tech, right?)
8) new bucket seats - coming shortly want to finish up underneath the car mechanicals
9) trans leak - next on list after finishing SG rear install
10) SG Rear install - almost done, in process of putting it back together... Murphy visited on this... story for when I have more time
11) Engine work - Once the car gets put back on the ground... may not wait until the move
12) Wheels/tires 17x8s and 245/45 street tires, trying right now for 17x9s and 275/40 race rubber (have the rubber, crossing fingers for rims)
13) Sway bars - front bought, should be in today or tomorrow.  Rear to follow
14) rear springs - 72blunblu gonna ship me some!

ok, that's a good quick update....

Offline barracuda7199

• needs a resto but having to much fun right now
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2010 - 08:25:17 PM »
man i am so glad someone ended up with that car and is doing something with it!! i so wanted that car when it was 3 houses down from me in georgia! and i love your plans with it by the way!!
Brandon

71 Barracuda 440 727                                                                 
(O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2010 - 07:56:32 PM »
The goal was to get it back on all 4s today.

well, Murphy's Law was metered out today...

first time... Hooking up the driveshaft... Turns out my new Sure Grip unit uses the 7290 yoke.  My driveshaft is the 7260.  Going to order the conversion u-joint from mancini.

Luck was with me when I filled up the diff with royal purple, no leaks!

Sealed up the trans leak with some teflon tape.  Should be good to go... will know soon enough.

mounted up my 17x8 konigs.  They fit fine.  not worried. 

ok, took the fronts off, might as well do the addco front bar and call it a day.

Oh, this is where Murphey reminded me that he was with me today.  The bar is about 3/8 to 1/2" too close to the control arms.  and its a really mickey moused mount, too.

oh, and i charged the batteries to the camera so finally some pics!!

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2010 - 08:39:23 PM »
the drums will get the rattle can treatment. I should be able to find some paint somewhere...

ok, i'll split this up into two parts for the two areas I'm concurrently working on.

Addco sway bar: well I made up a new mount at work, the waterjet is a wonderful tool.

Looks great right?  I moved the sway bar back 7/16 to the proper location and the endlinks fit MUCH easier.  But... I made the aluminum riser block too tall.  I assumed all the plates were 1/4" in the Addco kit, not 1/4" for the mount, and 3/16" for "shims".  I'll fly cut 1/8" off on the Bridgeport.  *sigh*

Rear Gear install drama:
Got the Mancini conversion yoke Friday.  I also bought new straps for the 7290 yoke.  So I checked it all out, pulled the driveshaft out and went to work.  First thing I noticed, the cups were on the wrong ends.  Easy enough.  Get it all in the driveshaft, re-install the driveshaft, ok, time to put the straps on and get SOMETHING done.  Nope.  I broke one of the bolts.  Took the yoke off and am bringing THAT to work to.  Going to get the welder to tack on a t-handle and he should be able get it out easily.

Misc: (ok 3 parts, I lied)
While I'm at it, might as well buy the stud I need for my wheel adapters (1 was stripped by my friend whom I got them from) and another 2 sets of lug nuts (I have 3 different kinds of 3/4 on my challenger to make up all 40).

I'd only like to make the late April autox and get to Lime Rock in June. And drive it to Carlisle... I hope when it comes time for the engine work (intake/heads/cam/exhaust) it goes a little bit faster.

all for now.... maybe tonight I'll go downstairs and start the new seat project... maybe not...

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2010 - 09:22:47 PM »
Today, MOSTLY mounted the sway bar. The provided endlinks rub the gussets on the OEM sway bar tabs (Kit includes their own, I'm not cutting mine off!)

so I used the OEM endlinks for mock up. Guess what? They work FINE!!! The originals are about 1" longer than the Addco's.

so yeah, back to work tomorrow/thursday to make up new endlinks using the new poly bushings...

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2010 - 08:23:06 AM »
Well Friday I had the day off from work.  bolted the seats back in and looked at the gas gauge... I was low on gas!

Got her on the ground backed it out of the driveway and adjusted the t-bars a little bit.  Good news the trans doesn't leak!  Bad news the rear end weeps a very little bit (in two weeks its wet, not dripped).  I'm not sure if its through the pinion and/or the pipe plug I installed on the bottom.  I'm going to get a "bigger" 1/8" NPT plug for the bottom.  I'll try to re-use the $20/qt royal purple. *sigh*

anyways while I had it out, grabbed my (now nut filled) T/A hood for a test fit.

The front hood pin holes are in the right place!  Ok so now I still needed to get gas.

:wow: what a difference in driving the car!  1" torsion bars are still VERY comfortable but they are much firmer than the .90 bars I replaced.  Much more modern ride.  But the big difference is the 1 1/8" sway bar!  Did a couple of low speed side to sides and the car is FLAT.  I know as I take this thing to its limit I'll want more roll resistance but this is a VERY good start.

oh, and a Sure Grip test leaving the drive way  :burnout:  My mom noticed... c'mon, sandy road!

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2010 - 08:08:31 PM »
Looking good.

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2010 - 10:29:16 PM »
Thanks!

Been pretty busy lately (trip to Vegas added into the Work/School/Girlfriend schedule) and have been playing catchup... but I managed to start puttering around with the car again tonight.

Pulled off the right front wheel because the spacer was "missing" a stud.  My friend who I got these from stripped one and I removed it.  I finally took it off and later I went down to Advance Auto Parts and picked up some extra lug nuts and studs.  I'm gonna keep hitting them until I get a set of 40 lugs and 20 studs (can't stand not having complete sets, good thing there's three between my parents' and my girlfriend's...)

Also re-attached the spring-less hood hinges.  Gonna convince dad to help me with prematurely putting the hood on.  I can see that the front two hood bumpers need to be lowered at least 3/8".  And pick up some hood pin kits, too...

Finally, been fussing with the new bucket seat project.  got the water jet program mostly written.  I have to pull a seat to get the thread size.  Too late tonight to do it.

all for now.  Looks like the first autox for me will be May 2...  I'm not confident on making it Sunday...

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2010 - 09:28:06 AM »
The hood is on!  It was a PITA because it was made wrong.  I bought it because it was SUPPOSED to be a hinged hood, but after it would've involved basically destroying the hinges, I needed a plan B.  Plan B was going to be a new hood from Year One.  Got told it would be 2 weeks.  So I called 2 weeks later (after they had charged my credit carD) and it had become 10 weeks!  So I canceled it.  Then I decided to make it a lift off hood.  Fabbed 4 brackets at lunch yesterday, bought 3 sets of hood pins at Advance after work.  Before Lost came on, I had all the holes drilled and the hood basically fitted.  Pics tomorrow, plus tomorrow I'm going to try and finish the seat project...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010 - 01:25:35 PM by cudazappa »

Offline A110235

• '71 Challenger JH23G1B
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2010 - 11:35:49 PM »
Nice!  Lift off hoods are way cooler anyway.  What do you have in store for the seats?  Are you going to get a T/A spoiler or go with out one?  The side view pics looks pretty clean with out. 

Nashville, TN         Member since October 09, 2004

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2010 - 01:44:55 AM »
I love road race projects! It gets me so pumped up to just finish the Cuda and hurry up and get a little Dart or something and make it a dedicated racer.