Author Topic: HEMI Challenger, 10 years later......  (Read 3785 times)

Offline DAYTONA

HEMI Challenger, 10 years later......
« on: November 21, 2007 - 11:28:11 PM »
......Christmas, 1988..... I answered an ad to purchase a pair of rust free front fenders for a Panther Pink Challenger T/A I owned ...I was in the process of parts gathering for a much needed resto of the scruffy old pink Challenger when I stumbled across a HEMI Challenger RT/SE in the same garage the fenders were located in...the HEMI was covered up to protect it from the winters cold, or so it seemed...this was the car of my dreams, sitting right in front of me, It sparkled,  and it was for sale ...I quickly sold my green Daytona to a collector in sunny Florida, gathered my cash and headed back to the cold of northern Ohio with trailer in tow and brought my bounty back home to Indiana in an ice storm.....

......during the next decade I drove the HEMI Challenger RT/SE on the streets quite a bit, even though it was the first HEMI Challenger EVER BUILT.....I drove it to shows, smoked the tires at stoplights, and in general had a blast with the rare red MOPAR............until, one day I became bored with a garage full of rare cars I hardly ever drove anymore and sold the HEMI RT/SE along with a triple black T/A, and the first Daytona ever shipped in the USA, to a collector in Michigan ....I gave each of my kids a Challenger T/A, my son got the Plum Crazy 4spd and my daughter got a Panther Pink T/A and so the last 5 cars of my collection were liquidated...

......since then, I had never been in a HEMI Challenger again, until yesterday.........a friend of mine just kinda showed up, HEMI idling at the curb, and asked if I wanted to go for a ride.....I didn't even answer, just headed for the waiting bright orange HEMI Challenger and climbed in....since auto photography is my hobby, we took a little time to shoot some pictures before taking the HEMI out for some exercise....

......the ride was like a flashback, about 10 years back.... the feel, the power, the smells and sounds were just as I remembered from my long gone HEMI Challenger...we lugged the car down the 4 lane state highway with an occasional burst of power and speed, passing the more pedestrian rides with ease..... the exhaust note was just as I remembered from a decade ago, a strong growl, kind of like a lion awakening and letting out a blood curdling growl right before it attacks an unsuspecting victim.....

......we soon arrived at the entrance to the interstate and I  realized I was in for the ride of a lifetime ....growling up the ramp like a giant wild beast ready to pounce, the Challenger emerged from the ramp at interstate speed, instantly merging with traffic, still in 2nd gear, shifting to 3rd caused us to catapult ahead of the other cars on the highway and 4th put us into triple digit speeds, all the while, the eight barrels sucking gas and air like there was no tomorrow....the exhaust note was loud, unmistakeably HEMI.....it SCREAMED HEMI....we literally passed every moving car on the interstate for miles before dropping back into traffic.... it seemed like Star Wars and we were now in HYPERSPACE.....

.......we eventually exited the interstate to make the return trip, winding thru the gears, letting the HEMI stretch it's legs and snarl for the next 15 miles back home, back to the land of 4 cylinder imports and minivans...the ride reminded me so much of the old days, or as I call them the "black and white" days....within an hour I had gone from working at my desk to cruising in a HEMI Challenger with a couple hundred EXTRA horses, and back to work.....some of you older guys remember the black and white days, we didn't take pills, had plenty of hair and could see our shoes without bending over....yes, we were younger, and so were the girls

.......thanx to my good buddy Juan for a day I will remember as long as I live, it was like being a kid again

Offline JS23U0B

Re: HEMI Challenger, 10 years later......
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2007 - 11:34:35 PM »
Very cool story. By the way, what mopars do you own now. Do your kids still have there TA's

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2007 - 11:35:51 PM »
Cool, it's always good to have well connected friends.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2007 - 11:45:47 PM »
Very cool story. By the way, what mopars do you own now. Do your kids still have there TA's

...the kids both sold their MOPARS and I repurchased the Plum T/A a few years ago....it will never leave the nest again....

...I have more cars now than ever, sorta got interested in the Muscle Car hobby again a few years ago and started picking up a few cars

...MOPARS, I currently have a 70 Challenger RT/conv- lime 383, the Plum T/A, a white T/A with 15K miles, a 66 Belvedere conv I bought at a yard sale, a Superbird 440 6BBL, a 69 1/2 Super Bee, 4 Vipers and 3 Prowlers, an SRT8 Jeep and an SRT10 Ram along with a few Vettes and a couple of GMs, the most recent purchase was a 69 Hurst Olds, all original non restored beauty(it looks new)....

...I thought I was done with the hobby a few years ago, but I guess I never will really be done with cars.... :bigsmile:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2007 - 11:48:20 PM »
That looks like El Hemi with new wheels?

Cool story Larry.  :cheers:

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2007 - 11:52:04 PM »
That looks like El Hemi with new wheels?

Cool story Larry.  :cheers:

...when it's being driven on the street, it's dressed like the old days :bigsmile:.....I never met Juans father, but the car is a tremendous tribute to him

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2007 - 11:54:20 PM »
I agree.  :thumbsup:

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007 - 11:57:54 PM »
I agree.  :thumbsup:

...and riding in it is probably the closest I'll ever get to the Playboy Mansion  :bigsmile: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :bigsmile:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2007 - 12:04:18 AM »
Been there. I would rather have a ride in El Hemi.    :bigsmile:

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2007 - 01:14:35 AM »
Awesome, I always like your stories. I remember an article of the first Hemi R/T SE in Mopar action(I think) over a decade ago, did you still own it then? I remember it because in the article it said it was sold new in Lorain, OH about 5 min from me.

Been there. I would rather have a ride in El Hemi.    :bigsmile:

I would rather ride something at the playboy mansion :naughty:
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2007 - 01:52:36 AM »
Nice story about the Hemi and your cars. I always love hearing about Mopar muscle cars people have or owned.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2007 - 02:05:36 AM »
Nice story...now the important part....is your daughter married????? LOL :bigsmile:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2007 - 02:07:48 AM »
Years ago I had a neighbor with a Hemi Shaker Chall, it took months to convince him I new my stuff & he eventually let me tune his 440+6 Superbird , it never ran better after I was done ,so later he was having trouble with the Hemi Chall shifting so we put it up on the hoist , rebuilt the shifter & linkage , adjusted everything & took it out for a run , now my friend is a truck driver so you can imagine how he shifts [10seconds / gear] & I was asking if it felt good & he siad it was far better & proceeded to pull over to the side of the highway & toss me the keys   ...............Ummmm ........Yeah Ok .....so I get in a wait for traffic actually contemplating ....drive it nice or .........show my friend how to shift  Awww Heck when will I get a chance to drive a Hemi Chall again ........let the clutch up ...punch it Speed shift 2nd 3rd & 4th ..........Yup shifts fine now!!!! Pulls great too , this feels too right !!!
So I look over at my friend to see what trouble I may be in & his Jaw is hanging
"you can shift these like that ???
 "Uhhh Yup"
"Awesome "
 I have not driven it since , no he is not mad just haven`t had the opportunity :2thumbs:

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2007 - 08:13:03 AM »
Awesome, I always like your stories. I remember an article of the first Hemi R/T SE in Mopar action(I think) over a decade ago, did you still own it then? I remember it because in the article it said it was sold new in Lorain, OH about 5 min from me.

I would rather ride something at the playboy mansion :naughty:

...yes, it was still my car then.....it was in (and on the cover) of quite a few magazines and books including Hot Rod, also was on the package of a Johnny Lightning(I think) toy car.....I still have a bunch of the toys....it got a lot of press....the car was possibly the nicest MOPAR I have ever owned, or seen....it was 100% immaculate top and bottom, beyond perfect......

...ps....I would like to ride the "rides" too, hell, I've subscribed for 35 years or so, you'd think I might get a prize :roflsmiley:

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2007 - 08:18:15 AM »
Nice story...now the important part....is your daughter married????? LOL :bigsmile:

....no, but she is looking..... and I really can't understand why she is still single......