HEMI Challenger, 10 years later......

Author Topic: HEMI Challenger, 10 years later......  (Read 3791 times)

Offline DAYTONA

Re: HEMI Challenger, 10 years later......
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2007 - 08:20:35 AM »
Years ago I had a neighbor with a Hemi Shaker Chall, it took months to convince him I new my stuff & he eventually let me tune his 440+6 Superbird , it never ran better after I was done ,so later he was having trouble with the Hemi Chall shifting so we put it up on the hoist , rebuilt the shifter & linkage , adjusted everything & took it out for a run , now my friend is a truck driver so you can imagine how he shifts [10seconds / gear] & I was asking if it felt good & he siad it was far better & proceeded to pull over to the side of the highway & toss me the keys   ...............Ummmm ........Yeah Ok .....so I get in a wait for traffic actually contemplating ....drive it nice or .........show my friend how to shift  Awww Heck when will I get a chance to drive a Hemi Chall again ........let the clutch up ...punch it Speed shift 2nd 3rd & 4th ..........Yup shifts fine now!!!! Pulls great too , this feels too right !!!
So I look over at my friend to see what trouble I may be in & his Jaw is hanging
"you can shift these like that ???
 "Uhhh Yup"
"Awesome "
 I have not driven it since , no he is not mad just haven`t had the opportunity :2thumbs:

.....great story......  :bigsmile:.....he's probably afraid of the car now :roflsmiley:

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2007 - 08:27:30 AM »
Awesome, I always like your stories. I remember an article of the first Hemi R/T SE in Mopar action(I think) over a decade ago, did you still own it then? I remember it because in the article it said it was sold new in Lorain, OH about 5 min from me.

...I purchased the car from a guy in Cleveland Ohio, Christmas of 1988

...picture taken by the late Nickey Wright, he took lots of shots of the car and had it published everywhere.....

...Hot Rod sent a guy from California to shoot the car along with several others of mine for articles in Hot Rod and Car Craft....it was a lot of fun
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007 - 10:57:13 AM by DAYTONA »

Offline 1BADFISH™

• Resident
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2007 - 09:08:41 AM »
Wow, awesome story as usual Daytona!   :2thumbs: 

Dave
Charlottetown, PE
2014 GMC Sierra Crew Cab White Diamond edition.
1970 Dodge Challenger 340-6 4spd.
*Member Since* Oct 11, 2005

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2007 - 11:22:19 AM »
Dad???? is that you???? hey, how come i didnt get a T/A?

a long lost son you never even knew about, i suppose you "left me behind" back in 1980 Baltimore......

:roflsmiley:

awesome story, i love black and white photos, anything to bring me back to yesterday.....  :burnout:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2007 - 05:49:00 PM »
Definitely a good read for today.  Sounds like a ton of fun.   :bananasmi :ylsuper:

Offline farmboy70

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2007 - 07:15:46 PM »
....no, but she is looking..... and I really can't understand why she is still single......
AW MAN I just got done eating! :roflsmiley:
Great story.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2007 - 08:51:04 PM »
Great story!  :burnout:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2007 - 10:11:53 PM »
Dad???? is that you???? hey, how come i didnt get a T/A?

a long lost son you never even knew about, i suppose you "left me behind" back in 1980 Baltimore......

:roflsmiley:

we had twin sons, Willie Bob and Wally Bob....Wally Bob disappeared at the zoo and we just assumed he was raised by monkeys or eaten by a lion.....since we still had our favorite son, Willie Bob, we didn't look too long for Wally Bob.....welcome home son....

pictured...Willie Bob and Wally Bob on their 16th birthday, just after 6th their grade graduation ceremony

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2007 - 10:34:53 PM »
d a m n! i knew someone would find that photo!  :roflsmiley:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Killer_Mopar

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2007 - 11:11:11 PM »
I really can't understand why she is still single......

I cant understand how that stool and/or porch can sustain that much weight :eek7:
70 Challenger R/T SE - The never-ending project........

Offline EL HEMI

« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2007 - 10:26:47 AM »
Larry:

Great picture of EL HEMI.  I am glad you enjoyed the ride.  I had been meaning to bring you along on a INTERSATE drive as a THANK YOU for storing the car for a couple of months this summer.  You are right about...GOING BACK IN TIME.  For me EL HEMI is the closest thing I have here on EARTH to feel CLOSER to my FATHER.  As I was growing up in Venezuela, I can't tell you how much and how often I DAY DREAMED about one day being able to be the CARETAKER of EL HEMI. 

The day arrived in 1996 when my father put the car in a container and had it shipped to me here in the US.  What I was never prepared for was to see my old man loose a battle to pancreatic cancer in 2003 when he appeared to be full of life.  Amazing how things develop as we take a journey through life.

Can't wait for the SPRING.  Get ready....

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2007 - 10:45:11 AM »
Larry:

Great picture of EL HEMI.  I am glad you enjoyed the ride.  I had been meaning to bring you along on a INTERSATE drive as a THANK YOU for storing the car for a couple of months this summer.  You are right about...GOING BACK IN TIME.  For me EL HEMI is the closest thing I have here on EARTH to feel CLOSER to my FATHER.  As I was growing up in Venezuela, I can't tell you how much and how often I DAY DREAMED about one day being able to be the CARETAKER of EL HEMI. 

The day arrived in 1996 when my father put the car in a container and had it shipped to me here in the US.  What I was never prepared for was to see my old man loose a battle to pancreatic cancer in 2003 when he appeared to be full of life.  Amazing how things develop as we take a journey through life.

Can't wait for the SPRING.  Get ready....

Hi El Hemi and Daytona!

I remember reading about your car in I think Mopar Collector's Guide and thought that was such a great story.  Once I saw the pics Daytona posted and saw the R/T stipe with the T/A hood (Was that a pre-production T/A hood or something?) and those cool custom wheels, I knew that was the car I read about.  Very cool car and great story to go along with it guys!  :2thumbs:  I think I'll try to find that magazine later today.

Daytona, seriously, you have great stories and are heart warming to those in the Mopar community.  You should right a book along the lines of The Cobra in the Barn ( http://shop.roadandtrack.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=330) and call it something like My Life with Mopars or something.  It would be a cool read and would bring back lots of "black and white" days for many others.  :grinyes:  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2007 - 10:53:17 AM »
I just did a google search and found this wicked cool site about El Hemi!!!!   VERY good read!!!!!  Awesome vintage pics!

That model car you did is awesome!!!!

http://www.elhemi.com/
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline EVIL72

« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2007 - 12:10:40 PM »
 Very cool car.  :thumbsup: What rims are those, I like the old school look of them. Got and more side pics of the car?
ROB
1972 Dodge Challenger 340ci
1970 Pro Street Duster (Under Construction)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2007 - 12:58:42 PM »
Very cool car.  :thumbsup: What rims are those, I like the old school look of them. Got and more side pics of the car?

On that website above, he states they are ET-III wheels.  They look sorta like 60's type funny car wheels.

Can find more about them here: http://www.akhwheels.com/pages/showWheel.php?pk=158