Author Topic: 71 Challenger Project  (Read 33036 times)

Offline troutstreamnm

Re: 71 Challenger Project
« Reply #60 on: December 31, 2007 - 06:23:49 PM »
I know what you mean...Do what I've done and get one of each  :drool:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2008 - 08:20:54 PM »
Well it's back to work tomorrow so this will be the last progress report for a bit  :crying:  Today was a "loose ends" day so nothing too exciting happened.  I got the steering box, shocks and trunk lid weather stripping installed.  Also touched up some paint on the suspension and painted the taillight panel.  I broke off a stud extractor trying to remove a broken stud in the steering column (cheap Black & Decker tools) so now that will have to be drilled out on a press  :pullinghair:  Happy New Years all  :2thumbs:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2008 - 08:26:40 PM »
 :clapping: Very nice,  How long till the next spurt of work with updates buddy. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2008 - 08:43:31 PM »
hemiken, I hope to do some work on it next weekend.  The wife is great in letting me work on this project, but I do need to pay attention to her too   :-*;)  Probably time to start running new wiring and get the dash frame installed, but I need to think about what needs to be done next.  The engine is still at the machine shop, so I need to work around that for a while.  There is no shortage of other tasks to do that's for sure.   :icon16:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #64 on: January 05, 2008 - 09:37:56 PM »
Had some progress on the Chally today.  Repainted the taillight panel and headlight bezels because the initial black I used was too glossy.  Used a low gloss black paint this time (not flat black) and it looks much better.  What a pain to retape everything :(  Also cleaned and painted the console with SEM landau black vinyl paint.  Cleaned the taillight lenses with Meguiar's PlastX and it works really great...looks almost like new  ;).  Installed the taillights, panel, and a new gas tank and sender today.  The engine block just got out of the machine shop yesterday and I hope to have the finished product later this month.  In the meantime, guess I'll be working from the back and move forward on this job.  :grinyes:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #65 on: January 06, 2008 - 12:27:21 AM »
The rear panel looks much better in that sheen rather than the gloss.  How did the consul turn out.  :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #66 on: January 06, 2008 - 09:18:03 PM »
Console looks real good.  Cleaned up and painted real nice.  Not alot of progress today with other things going on.  I did finish all the fuel tank hookup including the filler tube, vent tube hoses, blowing out the main fuel line and hook up to the tank.  I need to get the body-to-filler tube gasket before the flip-lock gas cap cover can go on.  Missed that one  :hyper:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear
« Reply #67 on: January 07, 2008 - 01:21:56 AM »
Good progress keep it up :wave:
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #68 on: January 07, 2008 - 07:33:03 AM »
well, i sort of thought that was the best name, but i was referring to that 18" tall tube that comes up on the passenger side. if you look under the car or have it off, there are 4 X 5/16" tubes coming out at an angle that tie into the fuel tank and return lines from the front of the car.....
Hi Wally, sorry to ask again but I am not clear on this  yet and the photos on the forst page of this thread are not showing so I cant see what you mean.
Please see attached photos form my car underneath near the fuel tank. Any of these items that you are referring to :bigsmile:
Thanks
Farouk
« Last Edit: January 07, 2008 - 07:36:29 AM by Challenger_7 »
71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto small block
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Others: http://www.cardomain.com/id/Challenger_7

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #69 on: January 07, 2008 - 07:56:06 AM »
Troutstreamnm Again congrats onthe progress so far, and man, am I gonna use your project to help me with mine :thumbsup:
But here, I need toclarify a few things:
1. The taillights panel is painted black. Should this not be the granulated rough silver/metallic paint just like the front extension (between the front grill and bumper)? See photo of mine attached.
2. As for the rubberised paint under the car, will you paint this over with the same color of the car or leave it this way. Anyway which is more correct?
3. I did my console but it came out a bit too shiny because I used a special paint for upholstry, i.e.flexible and hopefully is more durable. Is that bad or do I leave it as is, because eventually, I will have to do the dash pad and must use identical paint for both.
Regards
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #70 on: January 07, 2008 - 08:28:50 PM »
Hey Challenger_7 Let me try to clarify for you.  The next pic is of the installed vent tube (vertical tube on the right) and the fuel filler tube in my trunk.  The second pic is of the four vent tubes that hook up from the vent tube to the gas tank.  The pic is from the rear passenger side of the car pointed forward.  I have not installed the protective metal cover over the four vent tubes.  Should give you a good idea of what Wally is talking about.
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #71 on: January 07, 2008 - 09:30:40 PM »
Challenger_7 here's some answers to your questions. 1) I believe the R/T's have black front grilles and tail panels while the non-R/T cars were argent.  I like the black look with the Lt. Gunmetal color even though this car is not a pedigreed R/T.  2) Undercoating is not painted over so if you had it undercoated from the factory it will remain black, if not the undercarriage would remain body color.  Many people who do rotissarie restorations sandblast this coating off (if it was there) and repaint with the body color.  Most show cars are are not undercoated for the detail effects.  Since I did not do a rotissarie, I redid the undercoat to get the cleanest look I could and protect the undercarriage (I plan to drive this car). 3) The factory console, door panels, dash moldings, etc were not a glossy black, but you can do what ever looks good to you.  It's your ride and unless you're doing a concourse level restoration, it's your pick.  The SEM landau black paint (#15013) I used is a flexible paint for plastics so you do have a choice if you want to go with less gloss.  :smokin:
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2008 - 09:46:02 AM »
Lookin good!!!!  :clapping: thats what i was talking about, sorry challenger7 i do no recognize the items under your car.... maybe they are some type of import item??? sorry that i cannot help..  :dunno:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2008 - 09:22:36 PM »
That's looking very nice!! :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #74 on: January 14, 2008 - 11:50:34 AM »
Hey Challenger_7 Let me try to clarify for you.  The next pic is of the installed vent tube (vertical tube on the right) and the fuel filler tube in my trunk.  The second pic is of the four vent tubes that hook up from the vent tube to the gas tank.  The pic is from the rear passenger side of the car pointed forward.  I have not installed the protective metal cover over the four vent tubes.  Should give you a good idea of what Wally is talking about.
Thanks for your patience and explanations. I do not have such a vent tube in my car (see attached photo of my car) and that is why I could not understand what was being talked about. I looked at my photo files and saw that  in my R/T, there is one. Could be that convertibles or export cars or whatever, do not have one?
Who knows it was there and was blocked away during a body job in the past although the flooring panel does not seem to be tampered with nor does it have the base higher than the rest of the panel upon which it sits?
If you have the time, pls visit my restoration post and comment whenever you see something wrong. Thanks
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008 - 11:56:02 AM by Challenger_7 »
71 Chally Auto 400