Author Topic: What do you think will happen???  (Read 2103 times)

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
What do you think will happen???
« on: November 24, 2007 - 04:01:31 PM »
I was wondering what is going to happen this year at BJ auction in January. Alot of people lost big money buying their own cars back because of the new NO Reserve rule. I can't see people doing that again. Some of those guys spent hunderdeths of thousands of dollars just to but their own cars back. It is going to be interesting to see what the mopars owners do this year. I say you see alot less high dollar mopars there. What do you think ???
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
Re: What do you think will happen???
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007 - 05:20:06 PM »
It will be interesting to see.  I think we will see a drop in prices just like what is happening with the real estate market.   I myself would be really pissed if I had to buy a car that I already owned and pay a commission on it.   :swear:

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007 - 05:42:25 PM »

I agree, I think there's a slight drop or halt on the Mopar market at the moment.
If you're serious about purchasing an E-Body, now is as good a time as ever to do so.

:2cents: :wave:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007 - 05:46:15 PM »
I can't image anyone buying their own car.  Just doesn't make sense, people with that kind of money know when to cut their loses.

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007 - 08:40:59 PM »
I think for the most part all the cars at BJ will bring less money this year. Maybe a couple rare cars will bring high dollar amounts but I think the economy is going to effect how much or Mopar cars and all the cars will bring this year.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007 - 11:19:53 PM »
I can't image anyone buying their own car.  Just doesn't make sense, people with that kind of money know when to cut their loses.

...if you are sitting there with a car you have $150K invested in, and it bids to $60K, do you lose $90K or buy it back for $12-15K in fees/taxes.....last year I saw some cars bid way too low, the owners had a rude awakening and had to buy their own cars back...

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007 - 11:26:07 PM »
I think 4C hit it on the head, alot of things follow the real estate market. Glad I bought NIKKI to enjoy not to sell.  :2cents:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007 - 11:34:53 PM »
I hate to say "I told you so", but I warned about this last year (Check the posts).

I think prices are going to continue to slide because they have been artificailly inflated. The big investors are the ones who bid up the prices initially, causing the huge appreciations in value. But now that prices have begun to slide, and appreciation is negative, a lot of them are bailing, leaving only the enthusiasts, and the wanna-be investors who only have three choices: Keep the car, take a loss now, or take the chance of taking a bigger loss later on. As the economy weakens, so does demand for luxury items and risky investments. The only bright spot, is that the dollar is so weak, that foreign investors are becoming more interested in our vehicles. Unfortunately, that means that huge numbers of American muscle cars will leave our soil, and probably never return.

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007 - 11:40:03 PM »
I hate to say "I told you so", but I warned about this last year (Check the posts).

I think prices are going to continue to slide because they have been artificailly inflated. The big investors are the ones who bid up the prices initially, causing the huge appreciations in value. But now that prices have begun to slide, and appreciation is negative, a lot of them are bailing, leaving only the enthusiasts, and the wanna-be investors who only have three choices: Keep the car, take a loss now, or take the chance of taking a bigger loss later on. As the economy weakens, so does demand for luxury items and risky investments. The only bright spot, is that the dollar is so weak, that foreign investors are becoming more interested in our vehicles. Unfortunately, that means that huge numbers of American muscle cars will leave our soil, and probably never return.

...my son just sold his 440 6-PACK Challenger to an overseas buyer, it left yesterday
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007 - 11:57:06 PM by DAYTONA »

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2007 - 11:48:56 PM »
Theres still plenty of idiots out there wanting a mint for a 318 rust bucket with no engine.Will they ever see it?probably not,doesn't stop them from trying.There was a 70 383 cuda auto car at fall fling,needed EVERYTHING and ran like crap.The guy wanted 28k for it,I am sure took it home with him.
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2007 - 07:12:35 AM »
...if you are sitting there with a car you have $150K invested in, and it bids to $60K, do you lose $90K or buy it back for $12-15K in fees/taxes.....last year I saw some cars bid way too low, the owners had a rude awakening and had to buy their own cars back...

I can see your point if they are collectors and own the car outright.  But if they are investors, they let it go.  No different than people who buy stock on margin or speculate on property.  Doesn't make sense to keep throwing money at a losing cause. 

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2007 - 08:17:57 AM »
I can see your point if they are collectors and own the car outright.  But if they are investors, they let it go.  No different than people who buy stock on margin or speculate on property.  Doesn't make sense to keep throwing money at a losing cause.

That applies to experienced investors.  Amateurs don't know when to say "when".

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2007 - 11:05:07 AM »
I don't think the real estate market has hit bottom yet.  I've been a real estate broker for 18 years now and I think we are just getting started and it will last for another 3-4 years before it starts to turn around.   :walkaway:

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2007 - 01:04:26 PM »
 :iagree:  Seems we are heading in that direction for sure.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2007 - 05:00:19 PM »
I think most of you missed my point.  Yes the prices have recedded as they did in the 80' and 90's only to come back higher than ever. My QUESTION IS are high dollar car owners going to take another chance on BJ with no reserve or will you see alot less high dollar Mopar at the auction.
I for one think you will see alot less cars there.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.