Author Topic: Floor pan replacement  (Read 1569 times)

Offline mjb765

Floor pan replacement
« on: November 26, 2007 - 07:07:20 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but about how much should a L/F floor pan replacement cost me with everything but the dash removed from the interior??? Or would now be a good time to hone my welding skills ???

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Re: Floor pan replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007 - 07:25:00 PM »
Material cost should be about $60-$80, but the real question is the labor.  Realistically it should not run more than a day's labor at a shop (so maybe $400-$500) if the interior is completely out, but that could always change depending on what they find once they start, such as more rust inside the frame, etc.  If you are not working on a big dollar resto, this would definitely be a good time to work on your skills.  The majority of the work will be hidden unless you want a true show car where people will be crawling underneath to look.  A friend of mine and I did my L/F in a weekend, him with moderate welding experience and me with absolutely none.  Another problem could be finding a shop that will take on a project this size.  They might quote you $1,000+ just because they don't need the work, but will make big $$ if they do it.

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007 - 08:56:55 PM »
If you do the work I would recomend that you get your practice done before starting on the floor of your car.  I have taught wielding in the past and it is a good thing to keep in practice.    Remember that the floor is a major part of the car as for as support and all.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007 - 09:05:05 PM »
In my neck of the woods, if you pay more than $200 to have a floor pan replaced, you are paying too much.

Offline mjb765

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007 - 09:25:45 PM »
In my neck of the woods, if you pay more than $200 to have a floor pan replaced, you are paying too much.

Then I guess I should bring it down to your neighborhood!!!

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007 - 09:32:16 PM »
I agree with $200 for a good price, but most shops will charge you a full day minimum.  Your best bet will be to find a good friend that can weld and invest in a 6 pack or 2.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007 - 12:27:50 PM »
Then I guess I should bring it down to your neighborhood!!!

There are a lot of one-man body shops around here. They've been at it for a long time, are very good at it, and only charge $18-$20 per hour labor. Downside is that they are usually booked up pretty far in advance, and are kinda slow.

Offline mjb765

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007 - 01:43:42 PM »
I guess that makes sense. I guess I will start practicing my welding....