Author Topic: Ignition switch madness  (Read 5674 times)

Offline Bearcuda

Ignition switch madness
« on: December 07, 2007 - 09:58:52 PM »
Ok mopar gurus, help me out here. I'm trying to get the ignition switch out of our current 73 Cuda. The tech tips I have seen on here don't seem to make any sense with what I am seeing. I have the turn signal out and the snap ring. I also have the backside of the switch harness exposed to the rotating key release. I read that I am supposed to use a punch to get a pin out back here, but I don't see any such thing under there. Does anyone have a good picture of what I am supposed to be doing here? Please help. I gotta get this thing changed.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Ignition switch madness
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007 - 01:15:15 AM »
it is under the plate that holds the spring loaded lock lever , 2 Philips screws hold the plate down

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007 - 07:09:01 AM »
How do you even get to that. I can see back there, but I don't see any place where I can get to any screws. Do you have any pics or diagrams?
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007 - 11:41:41 AM »
you need to remove the lock plate , usually there is a steel ring around the column , pry that up & drive out the roll pin & slide the lock plate off then you can get to the screws

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2007 - 08:03:11 PM »
I had a real problem with that as I recall. It looked like it was made onto the lock disc. VERY hard to distinguish that its a ring than can be pulled down.
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2007 - 11:31:01 PM »
This thing is making me feel quite dumb. I still don't see where to break this thing down any further. I still have the large part that encases the switch and cylinder and the key removal piece below that. Is it the rotating key removal piece that I am supposed to be trying to take off next?
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007 - 05:22:32 AM »
there is a push pin behind the lock level plate , remove the 2 philips screws move the level & the pin is under the plate

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007 - 08:53:28 PM »
I need a photo. From what I am seeing there are no more screws to get to.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007 - 09:04:39 PM »
kingtroll went through this a few weeks ago, several pics on this thread.
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=37458.30
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007 - 10:25:13 PM »
Now we're talkin. Thanks bullit
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007 - 08:51:25 PM »
Ok, I think I understand now that once you get that snap ring out of the way that the next piece will come off with a puller correct? I don't think I was clear at the beginning of this thread. I don't need to just change the ignition switch cylinder. I need to get to the wiring harness part to test for any shorts. What happened was this: I've had to do a lot of rewiring in the engine bay on this car due to the extensive rodent damage that the car had when I got it. I fixed everything visibly bad and the engine cranks if I jump the ignition relay with a screwdriver. However, when I went to start it with the key, the first few turns gave me nothing. The third or fourth turn gave me sparks out of the column where the ignition switch is. Am I right in trying to access this to test that harness or could something else be shorted that caused it to spark there? The main thing I want to know is after removing the snap ring on the shaft do I definitely need a special puller to get the next section off or can it be coaxed with a little elbow grease and a pry bar or two? When I pull on it by hand, I feel the whole shaft and column giving several inches from down lower somewhere, I guess close to the steering box or something. Thanks for your patience with my delema and any advice anyone can give from here.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007 - 06:28:30 PM »
No one willing to help the Bearman out any further? Come on folks, I need help.
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2007 - 06:38:22 PM »

Offline Bearcuda

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2007 - 06:47:16 PM »
Thanks, I saw that link before, but forgot where. What about my inquiry to the sparks at the switch though and if something else could have caused that?
1973 Cuda 440
1971 Javelin SST

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2007 - 09:04:03 PM »
Well Bearcuda, If I thought I knew what your problem is I would, as many on the board, offer our thoughts but this is a new one on me. All I can offer is conjecture. Having seen sparks in the column & otherwise not getting the desired result of engaging your ignition it is possible that there are issues with the electrical aspects of the switch which would seem to indicate that further investigation would be in order. Whether or not the sparks are being caused by outside circumstances cannot be rulled out but the condion that the switch is now in being suspect, inspection would be the logical course of action.

Da Bullitt
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!