Author Topic: New Memebers- Why is it that  (Read 2717 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
New Memebers- Why is it that
« on: December 11, 2007 - 11:41:52 PM »
Why is it that it seems like most all new members here after 20 or less posts seem to join just to sell their car or stuff and not participate.  Makes me feel like were being preyed upon in some ways.  Like scammers knocking on an interior door.  Maybe it's just me, but I feel there should be a probationary period on sale adds before a newby can post in the forsale areas.  I have also noticed that in some cases in a few adds, long term members respond to some and dont get any response back.   I may be a little picky here, but I am just thinking about the other good members here and not wanting them to experience any mayhem from lurkers amongst us. Sorry if this seems a little pushy, just caring about the ones who may be heading for a dissapointment

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Re: New Memebers- Why is it that
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007 - 11:48:23 PM »
A valid point made Al.  :iagree:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline cowboy

• Denmark
    • CowboyCars.dk
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007 - 04:16:16 AM »
-
If -

""there should be a probationary period on sale adds before a newby can post in the forsale areas.""

We would never get the good offers, they would be on all other sites..???   :clueless:
MoPar's for Cruizin, Racing & Pro-touring: www.CowboyCars.dk

1930 Plymouth Hot Rod wannabe - 1957 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman - 1967 RaceCuda  -  1968 Barracuda  -  1971 Challenger R/T Conv.

nivvy

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007 - 05:39:19 AM »
Buyer Beware!

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2007 - 09:04:43 AM »
 :iagree:  No problem with newbies, just be more carefull.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2007 - 09:15:03 AM »

I think it's good that they come here to offer them to us. It's common sense that they will potentially find a higher price or a more willing consumer on a board that's about the car they're trying to sell. Just as long as the products or cars are Mopar and good for the hobby I don't see anything wrong with it but I do agree it would be good to see them participate more around the forum rather than just logging in to expand their wallets. As Torred said, people just have to remember to be careful, with newbies in particular. No one knows them or what they're like. :2cents:

:thumbsup:
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007 - 11:31:34 AM by Carlwalski »
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2007 - 11:11:55 AM »
I like the fact that people come here to sell their cars.  The more choices available, the better.  Besides that, If you buy a car you saw on the site, you are probably going to keep coming here for advice when you are fixing up the car.  The only problem is the scammers, and I haven't seen too much of that here.  Just be careful what you buy.
** Shane **

Offline cowboy

• Denmark
    • CowboyCars.dk
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2007 - 12:04:48 PM »
-
Yeps, - I found my Challenger here a year ago, and keep comin...   :eek4:   
MoPar's for Cruizin, Racing & Pro-touring: www.CowboyCars.dk

1930 Plymouth Hot Rod wannabe - 1957 DeSoto Fireflite Sportsman - 1967 RaceCuda  -  1968 Barracuda  -  1971 Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline 733404

• old pic from about 1978, N. Texas
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2007 - 12:29:17 PM »
i see that too, but i can't help but look. maybe just ban the
Blue Ovals  :roflsmiley:

shawn

Quote: children seldom misquote you, instead they repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said!

Offline backtobasics

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2007 - 02:10:02 PM »
Then maybe there can be some restrictions:

Must have location
Must have email address
Must have pictures..

Or the ad is deleted, edited by moderator, etc.

Offline jeryst

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2007 - 03:51:34 PM »
Well, we were all newbies once, and I don't know what everyones reason for joining was. Some of us probably wanted to buy or sell cars. I think if they are interested, they will stay, and if not, well then they won't. A lot of people just like to read without posting or making any comments. I just sat around and read posts for quite a while before getting more involved, and I'm sure there are many others that acted in the same way. Also, some people may just be getting out from underneath a car, and no longer have a reason to stick around once the car is gone. I don't see any problem with that either.

As far as selling their cars, I think that they would get less here, than from the general public, because we know more about them and what it will take to fix or restore them.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2007 - 04:01:03 PM »
It is probably me.  I just got burned a few times and don't want to see anyone else loose any money like I did.   I can see all the benefits with the cars and parts floating through.  I think it should atleast be mandatory to put the state you live in for a location.  This way, if anyone got burned. I would know where they were at. And as everyone knows here, I am in just about every state in the nation throughout the year..  I'll ease up though. And try to be a bit more trusting with the new members. I am sure the majority of them are good all around people....Sorry newbies if I offened you. But you may want or need me on your side one day for reasons being spoken.   :1zhelp:

Offline mikey1

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2007 - 06:50:57 PM »
Hi there,
I am a newbie on the site, and don't post much. I mostly like to hang around to look at pictures of classic Mopars which have always been my favourite. I used to buy Mopar magazines mostly just for the pictures.
The day will come when I will have lots of questions, and in need of advise/help.
I would possibly like to sell some parts in the future, but I can relate to people being aprehensive of trusting people over the internet in general.
 With this site however there seems to be a core group of people who have been around awhile and lots of unity. The cuda-guy project was an excellent example.
Mike
Schist happens to Gneiss people

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2007 - 08:15:27 PM »
Well, we were all newbies once, and I don't know what everyones reason for joining was. Some of us probably wanted to buy or sell cars. I think if they are interested, they will stay, and if not, well then they won't. A lot of people just like to read without posting or making any comments. I just sat around and read posts for quite a while before getting more involved, and I'm sure there are many others that acted in the same way. Also, some people may just be getting out from underneath a car, and no longer have a reason to stick around once the car is gone. I don't see any problem with that either.

As far as selling their cars, I think that they would get less here, than from the general public, because we know more about them and what it will take to fix or restore them.
I could not put it better. I joined because i need your help. I don't ask many questions, because i spend most my time reading and studying over alot of the postings. I thrive on going to  The body shop and Restorations sites, and have gleaned enough information from real professionals to help in restoring my car.(which i probably will never sell).

Offline Slotts

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2007 - 08:29:04 PM »
Good point Al,

With my dealings with you, I know that you are not one of them! :2thumbs:

Hope you're feeling better.

Slotts