Author Topic: dodge omni engine problem  (Read 548 times)

Offline enforcer505

dodge omni engine problem
« on: December 13, 2007 - 07:47:53 PM »
Hey guys, my buddy just gave me a 2.2 L 1987 dodge omni 42k original on her. anyways, i was doing a spark plug change (he said it maybe a bad spark plug, and it was) then fired her up. i noticed a tapping (like a spark tapping) when i looked at the distributer cap and i saw blue sparks ticking away. it sounds like the engine miss fires when it ticks. my question is, how can i fix this? new cap? new wires? i want her running on all 4 cylinders lol

thanks a ton for the help in advance!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: dodge omni engine problem
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007 - 08:42:35 PM »
start with new cap wires & plugs

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
Re: dodge omni engine problem
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007 - 11:00:12 PM »
Don't cheap out on the  cap and plug wires.  The plug wires go through the cap and act as the rotor contact points also.  Make sure the "spear shaped" ends that get pushed into the cap are brass and not just cheap plated tin.  Those will only last a little while before they corrode again.  If the cap and plug wires don't solve the issue, pull the distributor and check that both of the "tangs" on the distributor are intact.  I have had more than 1 break off which causes irregular timing and they run really lousy.

Keep in mind I haven't messed with one of these things for almost 10 years so my memory may be a bit foggy.
** Shane **