THE RETURN OF...THE guy who knows nothing about cars... 1973 Challenger Project

Author Topic: THE RETURN OF...THE guy who knows nothing about cars... 1973 Challenger Project  (Read 38319 times)

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
 :iagree:
The rearend in that photo is definitely an 8 3/4.  You could just swap in gears or  gears and a sure grip if it doesn't have one.
** Shane **

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Hey Grasshopper,

You may have to change the thread name to "guy who now knows a lot more than before builds stunning 73 Challenger"

Looks great. :cooldancing:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
 :wow: Looks nice so far...
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
Hey thedodgeboys,

I shrunk your avatar to a usable size if you want to save it and use it, it is up to you buddy. :2thumbs:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
THANKS.... :woohoo:
Just getting started with this posting stuff.
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
Yup looks like an 8 3/4 to me.   :2thumbs:   
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Grasshopper

I HAVE AN 8 3/4??????!!!  FRIGGIN AWESOME!

Everyone is invited to my place for beers!!!.......bring your spare parts! :bigsmile:

Seriously guys....thanks a bunch.  You guys just saved me more money. 

Most likely I will be putting in a 360 with a stroker kit.  The car was an automatic which I want to switch to manual (I'll have a lot of questions about that later also).  I am told the differential does not have a posi (sure grip?) and that I need to have that in the back.  I was told 3.55 gears were a good choice.  I want the car so I can cruise 5 miles to the local dairy queen on a saturday night and sound mean with good handling and performance.  Something that goes fast light to light but is still reliable (I don't street race just trying to describe what I want the car to "feel" like).

I'm not quite sure what posi or sure grip means - I believe it means that a non posi only turns one side?  (I'll read up on it - no free passes.)

1. What do you think of the 3.55 gear selection?  What would changing the gears and putting a sure grip cost used?
2. Where do you look for used parts - I look on Ebay, this site , and Moparts.  That's all
3. What is my shopping list to upgrade my rear suspension and rearend?  All suggestions welcome.

I know I am asking a lot and it might be a bunch of typing so ....  I would really enjoy discussing this entire project with some really knowledgable guys who share this hobby/addiction.  If any of you ever have time to chat please PM me and I will send you a toll free number to my home office (US/Canada only please) and I would really appreciate your input on all facets of the project. (I am based on the East coast -  let me know where you are so I don't call you west coast folks at 6:00am!!)

I'll then post the suggestions and then describe the next steps based on your input.

Let me know...I feel like I have a team behind me now!

Offline 71_340Challenger

:wow:  I love that color. I have been looking for a good dark gunmetal/gray color. I think I have may found what I was looking for. I want to do some sort of two tone or stripe with mine as well. I have not got it all figured out yet, but you are a great inspiration to get back to working on mine.

Just some personal thoughts. 3.55 gears are a good compromise between the cruiser 2.76 gears you have and the more race oriented 4.11 and up gears. Should make for great cruising. It will wind a little high depending on your tire size (mine runs at about 3500 rpm at 70 mph) and the drone from the engine can get a little old on long trips. But, I don't go for really long drives at that speed, so it works for me. As for the sure-grip (posi), it does make the wheels spin together. I would put one in. Be careful though. Look at your punmpkin (center section that is removable) and look at the last 3 digits in the casting. Look for 741, 742 or 489. The pinion diameter varies with each. The 489's are easier to find sure-grips or equivalents for. Be careful on eBay. I have mixed success buying car parts. A lot of time, the private sellers don't exactly know what they are selling, and therefore describe it wrong or give the wrong years, etc. I would try to find the stuff more local so you can look at it before parting with your hard earned money. The stock suspension is pretty good, so other than sub-frame connectors in addition to the new gears, I don't think I would do much. Just go and drive and enjoy it. That's my 0.02 worth.

Keep up the great work and keep us posted.
1971 Dodge Challenger                
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, 6 speed manual
2009 Dodge Charger R/T w/ Road & Track Package
1995 Ford F-150

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
The Challenger looks great. If your not taking any long hauls with the Challenger the 3:55 will be fine but for interstate driving they are a little high when your running 80 mph.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
The Challenger looks very nice!!!  Congrats on getting this far!!! :cheers:  And yes, the rear end is definitely an 8 3/4", but I can't quite make out which center section (aka 3rd gear, center chunk) you have.  There are three types that I can think of, which include the 741 case, 742 case, or the 489.  The 489 is the more versatile one out of the group (used for a lot of years), while the 741 case is the one to stay away from as it has a smaller pinion.  I'd definitely stick with a 3.55 gear ratio as I've heard 3.23 seems too sluggish to some, whereas 3.91 gets a little annoying at cruising speeds (which I can attest for).
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
Grasshopper,

Looking awesome, Keep it up.

Now for another view of 3.23 gears.  Depending on the type of 360-408 stroker you build you may want to keep the revs down lower.  I know for my build the builder is going to keep the Rev Line down in the under 6K range.  Tons of TQ down low means tire incineration, wether you have 3.23 or 4.10's.  A mild stoker build has 450-500 ft/lbs of TQ, with tons of that down in the 3K range. :2cents:

Tom :2thumbs:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
 :droolingbounce:  That Challenger is looking great.   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
Are you putting a different colored stripe inbetween the two tone ? :cheers:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
If you go with an overdrive trans 3.91s with a tall tire 3.55 with a short tire. with out the overdrive 3.55 or 3.23s
 :stirpot:  http://www.keislerauto.com/tools/mopar_analyzer_5sp.html check out the speed chart listed play with the numbers see what you like best. :clueless:
Keisler seems to be the most popular & pretty srtaight forward...  :2cents: I like that 408 strocker crate from mopar good numbers build one that way.
I was befor I found my hemi. You can use the 95 and up truck frount cover and related parts for a modern look :naughty:(having fun with icons :thumbsup:)
junk yard or used parts are cheap and easy to find for those motors.(you will have to use an electric fule pump no manual hookup) :money:

:working: good luck...
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline HP2

• Resident
Mopar Performance has recently released a 440 inch small block. Built on the new siamese bore block with Super commando heads, it has torque and horsepower figures well in to the mid 500s.

I seem to recall your car had a complete rear suspension in it. What are you wanting to change/upgrade? Certainly gears and a sure grip are on the agenda if you have a 2:76 peg leg. Good shocks are always a necessary item too.
Sure-grip is a brand (mopar), positraction is a brand (GM).  They both perform the same function of allowing both tires to put power to the ground with minimal slippage.

What are your definitions of good handling and performance? That helps us provide directions on pieces and parts. You can acheive both fairly easily over what it was originally, but as a Viper owner, you may have a different perspective of those catagories than some others may have.