THE RETURN OF...THE guy who knows nothing about cars... 1973 Challenger Project

Author Topic: THE RETURN OF...THE guy who knows nothing about cars... 1973 Challenger Project  (Read 38312 times)

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
That is a no AC dashcap.  They seem to be an economical alternative to a new dash.  I like the one in my 69 GTO, but you may want to do a search on this site to see about the fit on E bodies. 
** Shane **

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
I ordered one from yearone once (dashcap) I sent it back the next day.  :2cents:
Do some homework and check out there return policy if it can be returened its worth looking at for the money. :ebay:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
I've actually seen some very nice dash pad restorations throughout the web the past couple years.  I know there is an epoxy you can fill into the two cracks you have that can turn out very nicely if done properly.  They usually offer several grain pattern templates you place over the epoxy while it is drying and then it's just a matter of using a flexible vinyl/plastic adhesion promoter and paint to get it all one color again.  Personally, I'd stay away from dash caps as while it may look nice for a while, you'll always know it still is ugly underneath the cap.  IMHO, it's like slapping a replacement quarter panel over an old rusted one and calling it a day. :misbehaving:  The hardest part with using the current dash is that the '70 Barracuda "Barracuda" script is actually embossed into dash pad as opposed to the later '72-'74 design that used a rectangular depression where the "Challenger" or "'Cuda/Barracuda" script are fit-to-size on a universal-size rectangular tag.  The only way I could see that dash working out would be to do some extensive modification in that area (filling, texturing, and cutting out a rectangle for the new tag).

As for the rest of your project, it's looking very nice and it's good to see you learning all this new stuff along the way. :cheers:  As for the heater controls you posted, those are for a Rallye dash as the one you'll need will have a large notch out of the upper right hand side to accommodate the larger speedometer. :thumbsup:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Great progress so far, John!  :2thumbs:

That non Rallye gauge panel is nice because some aftermarket gauges will fit in will little mods.  Goody has a nice set up, you can look here or PM him for details, he's very knowledgeable.  :grinyes:

As far as the console, here's a couple of threads here that may be of interest.  Basically you can modify you auto console to make it work for a 4 speed one.  The 4 speed ones go for more $$$.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=37024.0

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=39036.0   See the pic.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=32131.0

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=33130.0

As far as the wood grain, 72challengerorange did a nice job using carbon fiber inserts he made himself from a local autoparts store that look great and didn't cost much.  You could try this with different designs to fit your liking.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=41049.0

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Thanks blue :D
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
Grasshopper.............Where is the update??? :picture: :picture: :picture: :picture:
Dave or David

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
Grasshopper,

From one newbie to another (pay no attention to the junior member label) - great work so far.  I just scrolled through the entire thread (when I should have been working - took about an hour  :grinno:) and I'm very impressed by the work you and your friend have done.

A couple of notes about the questions you asked back in January about the interior that I don't think anyone answered.

Installing the four speed will require a new hump.  The four speed hump is different from the automatic hump.  How do I know?  Because some previous owner of my car cut holes in the floor to install the linkage, which is on the driver's side of the tranny.  Part of my restoration will be to cut out the old hump and install a four-speed hump.  If you decide to go with the Keisler 5- or 6-speed, the hump comes with the kit, as does all the linkage.  My  :2cents: - if you're determined to row your own gears, get the Keisler kit, so you don't have to hunt for parts.  If you want the 4-speed, you might check Passon Performance or Brewers Performance for all the parts, but so far as I can see, they don't sell a kit, just components.

If it were my car, I'd leave it an automatic.  I like to work a clutch more than most people, but converting the car on a limited budget will eat up a lot of money.  Plus, if you're going to use this as a cruiser, especially at the local cruise night, an auto is easier to drive in traffic.  The penalty in performance is negligible.  If you want to shift gears, take the Viper.   :bigsmile:

If you haven't already bought your dashpad, one of the vendors in the new vendor section, Az-Nick is currently offering a group buy on Ultimate Rides restored dashpads that will save you about $150 over the cost of buying from someone like Year One.  The offer is for a limited time - it ends in early April.  I'm going to be working on a more limited budget than you are - about $5000 with the goal of making my car move again in two months.  Even still, I felt that it was such a good deal that I spent the money anyway.  I received my pad this week and the quality, on first glance, is very good.  Plus, Nick is excellent to work with - communication is outstanding.  If this sounds like a deal to you, here's where to go: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=43220.0

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress when the weather warms up.

Greg
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
he kinda disappeared.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
I think he has been house hunting and looking for a small block stroker, we talked a few weeks ago...
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

Re: guy who knows nothing about cars...decides to build one! 1973 Challenger Project
« Reply #174 on: September 09, 2008 - 03:09:47 PM »
really cool thread ...ill keep an eye out ..keep us posted

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
Re: guy who knows nothing about cars...decides to build one! 1973 Challenger Project
« Reply #175 on: September 09, 2008 - 04:36:38 PM »
 :iagree:  I was thinking about this project just the other day....what`s happening?  :useless:
*** Bart ***

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #176 on: September 09, 2008 - 10:48:24 PM »
 :popcorn: :popcorn: Where are ya Grasshopper?  :clueless:

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

« Reply #177 on: September 09, 2008 - 11:01:53 PM »
anyone know where this guy is?? i hope he dint get crushed doing a rear end swap

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #178 on: September 10, 2008 - 12:29:09 AM »
He was on a few days ago - 9/5.  I think he moved and he's had to re-do the garage, so he hasn't been able to get any work done on the car.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #179 on: September 10, 2008 - 06:53:46 AM »
I just sent him some motor mounts for his new 5.7 hemi I think he is getting ready to get back after it.

But I agree we need more  :picture: :picture: :picture:

I think he has some interior needs also maybe looking for black seats if I remember, anyone have any they may PM him  :dunno:

Go Fast & Have Fun...