Author Topic: THE RETURN OF...THE guy who knows nothing about cars... 1973 Challenger Project  (Read 38327 times)

Offline Travis72

Re: guy who knows nothing about cars...decides to build one! 1973 Challenger Pro
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2007 - 02:24:36 AM »
Wow, excellent progress!  It's nice to have someone helping you who knows what they are doing (I'm winging it and making lots of mistakes and slow progress as I learn).

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline Grasshopper

Excellent progress - everything is looking good.  I have a question about the hood though,  are you planning on using that pin on hood?  If you are, I just wanted you to know what a pain a pin on hood can be if you drive your car alot.  I might consider going to a more street friendly hood if I were you. 

Whatever you decide, it looks like you are off to an amazing start.  I look forward to seeing your progress.

Yeah.  I hear you.  But yes......for now I plan on keeping this hood.  I know it is not everyone's cup of tea but I just like the profile of these hoods.  The car will look really mean once you see the paint scheme on the hood with the rest of the car.

The paint scheme will aslo allow me to easily interchange hoods later without a repaint.

We think we can finish the whole job ( bodywork and paint) by January 10th.  That is the goal.  I was really lucky that the father/son team before me built an incrediable foundation.  Took them 2 years to do it and it was professionally done.  A lot of love went into this car.  It has saved me months of work and $$$$$.  This cars body will be like new once we are done.

Offline Grasshopper

Re: guy who knows nothing about cars...decides to build one! 1973 Challenger Pro
« Reply #62 on: December 30, 2007 - 08:53:58 AM »
Wow, excellent progress!  It's nice to have someone helping you who knows what they are doing (I'm winging it and making lots of mistakes and slow progress as I learn).

Travis
72 Cuda

Hi Travis,

Yes.  I was very lucky.  It was just an idea I had.  I figured that there are a whole bunch of retired "car guys" who for whatever reason either no longer have their cars, kids have moved out,  or are looking for something to do with their time and pass on their knowledge.  They have the skill and experience but aren't doing anything with it.  I was placing an ad to find one of these guys.  I thought it would be a good and inexpensive way to team up, have some laughs, and learn cars.  They certainly can save you a bunch of time and money.  It is like having the wealth of knowledge from this forum working with you.  I would encourage anyone who is learning like me to try it.  It is worth looking into.

I lucked out in that I found a professional between projects that took pity on me!!  haha!

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
I bet it being a MOPAR helped in his decision. :grinyes:   Lookin' good over there!    :thumbsup:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Grasshopper

I bet it being a MOPAR helped in his decision. :grinyes:   Lookin' good over there!    :thumbsup:

haha!  You hit it!  He has done some 1950's cars but mostly he is doing modern everyday drivers with fender benders etc.  He grew up with these cars.  I can see him smiling when he works on it.

Offline Grasshopper

Nothing really sexy got done today, just another coat of primer and we finished sanding the doors and applied primer.

Pics...

Offline Grasshopper

Oh I forgot one thing from above.  I was quite helpful today....  As I can't stay in the garage with the paint fumes I have to wait until it is completed and come back in.  My friend was gone when I returned.  I saw the doors were done this morning.  So I used my new fancy technique that my friend showed me of using my hands to check for smoothness and waves.........

I guess he put a second coat on them while I was away.......yep....wet paint.......guess he'll see my contribution tomorrow morning.

Yep.......my work here is done!  Pics  (if you can't laugh at yourself....at least let others do it!)

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
Great progress being made and it was lucky for you you found someone between projects. The respirators are a life saver for sure if they fit correctly and are used all the time. I have gotten sick a few times doing my Cuda and actually got out of the profession as the fumes were making me cough and feel bad most of the time. My doctor told me to get out of the business so I just do it at home here and there now and feel 100% better. I would not fill in the side markers as it is the law that you must have them most everywhere. Don't put your hand in the wet paint anymore and keep us posted on your progress with pictures. Thanks for the new pictures.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
Looking good   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline RUSTY Cuda

• One big step foward!
I have to agree, you must keep a sense of humor, believe me you'll need it.
My lastest dumb thing, was priming my hood scoop inserts, well while they were drying I figgered I check how my door panel emblems looked on the car, moved the hood scoops nearer the heat, picked up the emblem & put it & a few blotches of gray primer on my newly painted door panels, forgot to take off the painting gloves :pullinghair:
Soak up all you can learn, it is an art form & very expensive to go trial by error(Like I did)
She's moving along great!  :2thumbs: Rich.

Offline Kapteenikosmos

Nice progress!

Can anyone chime in and say if the contour of the cpillar to qpanel is correct on the last pic? I'll attach the same pic with the area circled I am talking about. Mine was busted pretty badly from both sides of the car from this area but what I recall is that the transition from cpillar to quarter panel should be almost smooth close to the window. Actually I went and checked another challenger at my area for the right shape while I was working with mine and as far as I know it shouldn't be like that. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong in it I'm just trying to figure out how it was done from the factory.

Anyone got couple of pics which clearly show the shape in this area?

Nevertheless, great work! You are going to get some  :burnout: in no time!
1967 six banger Mustang
1973 Challenger (under restoration)
1997 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC (daily driver)

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Here is a 'Cuda in that area or do you need a Challenger pic.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
it looks like it fads into the quarter in that area.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline farmboy70

That area should fade away and be slightly sunken to allow for the molding to recess into. If blocked flat the molding would stick out too much.
I don't have a good picture right now but will by Monday.
Dave
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008 - 10:37:08 AM by farmboy70 »

Offline Grasshopper

Nice progress!

Can anyone chime in and say if the contour of the cpillar to qpanel is correct on the last pic? I'll attach the same pic with the area circled I am talking about. Mine was busted pretty badly from both sides of the car from this area but what I recall is that the transition from cpillar to quarter panel should be almost smooth close to the window. Actually I went and checked another challenger at my area for the right shape while I was working with mine and as far as I know it shouldn't be like that. I'm not saying that there is anything wrong in it I'm just trying to figure out how it was done from the factory.

Anyone got couple of pics which clearly show the shape in this area?

Nevertheless, great work! You are going to get some  :burnout: in no time!

That's why I like this place....I never would have noticed this.  Good eye. 

I did some checking looking at many cars 1973's and other years.  From what I have found, the hard tops have smooth contours like the green Chally pictured above.  I did find cars with the same contour as mine but they all have or had vinyl tops.

Perhaps mine had a vinyl top at some point?  My friend did mention that the new quaters panels were put in tight (?)  perhaps that would make the difference.  I asked him to accent the contours because the paint scheme I am doing is not a traditional one and will follow the contours of the car. 

Oh....work is still going on everyday but it is just coat after coat of primer and sanding at this point so the pictures are nothing sexy.  Paint should start going on by Monday Jan 7th now and will post all the new pics when that starts.

Thanks for all your comments guys.

Hey....I am starting to get inquiries on this car because of this thread.....did this ever happen to any of you during your resto?  Guess people like someone else doing all the grunt work first before they buy!!