Author Topic: THE RETURN OF...THE guy who knows nothing about cars... 1973 Challenger Project  (Read 38353 times)

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
The Challenger is looking good.   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
Grasshopper, big thumbs up for the effort,great work and awsome attitude :2thumbs:, but I have to tell you, please check the bodywork right under the gas filler opening,it seems that it's not perfecrctly straight in every shot,hopefully you haven't sprayed the whole car and can correct that,

great job! can't wait to see it finished :bigsmile:
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Grasshopper

Grasshopper, big thumbs up for the effort,great work and awsome attitude :2thumbs:, but I have to tell you, please check the bodywork right under the gas filler opening,it seems that it's not perfecrctly straight in every shot,hopefully you haven't sprayed the whole car and can correct that,

great job! can't wait to see it finished :bigsmile:

Crap.  Thank you.  I was careful with that part and thought it was straight.  Do you mean the inside thread?  Can you eloborate (sorry - I'm new) and post a close up picture so I can compare?

Offline backtobasics

:2thumbs:

Awesome progress.

Engine...I vote stroked small block.   Big block ususally means bigger cost.   A 360 stroked out to 408 will yield more cubes then some of the big blocks (383-400) and if done with weight in mind, (alum heads, alum intake and accessories) you would have the best of both worlds.....Big block cubes + light weight and this almost qualtifies as budget too.

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
Crap.  Thank you.  I was careful with that part and thought it was straight.  Do you mean the inside thread?  Can you eloborate (sorry - I'm new) and post a close up picture so I can compare?

I was gonna mention this last night, but figured you guys would take care of that when you were stick blocking,
take a close look at theese pics, the area right under the gas door it dips in that spot, also same body line on same quarter panel ,going about 8 inches towards the rear of the car,it appears the bodyline is not straight and has a lump,either the filler wasn't sanded off or it needs to be massaged down

Stefan

Stefan B

Offline Grasshopper

Ok.  Got what you mean Stefan.  I'm going to check it out asap!

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
wrap a piece of 120 on 1.5inch diameter PVC pipe and try to straighten it out
Stefan B

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
Car is looking good!

I wanted to do the 2 tone as well, I had an idea for this photoshop a while ago, and before Foose did it.LOL

Tom
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Grasshopper

Ok.  Sprayed 3 more coats last night.  We looked closely at the gas cap and line.  In person it looks straight.  At least as perfect as I could get it.  But when light hits it from certain angles and in photos it sometimes looks off.  On other angles it looks fine. 

You can see the paint theme starting to unfold now.  It is hard to get the full detail in the photos because the chiprock walls and the lights of the shop reflect on the paint dramatically.  It is a 2 tone paint job and hard to see the contrast between the 2 colors in the photos, which is what I wanted, I like subtle.  But in nice light, boy does it look cool.  We followed the lines of the car and it turned out nice...I think. The line between the two paints is crisp.  Where the light is not reflecting in these photos you start to get an idea.  It is black on top and (because I am a Viper guy) I used a Graphite paint color from 2002 Viper.  Still have A LOT of work to do on the paint but thought you might like these prelim shots.  Still have to compound etc. but it will only continue to get nicer and pop more.

Things before the pictures.

It has been fun keeping this under raps but in the next post preceding this one I am going to provide an overview of what my original plan was with the exterior, what the inspiration for the car is, and what I would like it to look like on the outside.  Would like some opinions please.

Question - At the end of this weekend I will have A TON of questions to finish this phase and trying to figure out what to do next.  I will need help.  Is it best to continue to post the questions here or in the main board?

Ok.....here we go....purists forgive me!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008 - 02:22:30 PM by Grasshopper »

Offline Grasshopper

Original plan for Challenger.  Here were my ideas and I have some questions.  I am going to post a picture and a link first and then continue in a seperate post with the explanation and questions.

The inspiration for my Challenger was a combination of:

1. This challenger in the brochure (where I got the idea for black trim to save money on chroming)  see link:

http://www.yearone.com/pco/1_0907/full.asp?page=1

2. And this Viper.....I'll explain in next post.

Offline Grasshopper

The Plan:
Originally I wanted to do the car in the same paint theme as the Viper with the stripes but because I wanted to keep the 440 six pack hood, (yeah...yeah..I know...groan...too bad...I like it!), I wasn't able to do the stripes properly.  It would look funny offsetting the stripes on the scoop.  I thought about doing one thick stripe the width of the hood scoop but chickened out.  Then the two tone idea came to me and I liked it because if I decide to change the hood later, it will be entirely black and easy to change and paint won't cost a fortune.

I was concerned when I found out the price of rechroming the bumbers and trim.  That is when I found this catalogue and the black trim.  I thought that a black trim supporting a dark graphite and black painted car would compliement the look and make it look quite mean. 

To add some subtle touches to the paint theme I plan to add little areas of red.  (Calipers, emblems, etc.)

So here is the summary:

1.  Modern wheels with similar rims (graphite or black) pictured above with.....red calipers
2. six pack hood and on the side of the hood scoop I want to badge it as a 426 hemi
3. All trim in black
4. Front grill painted totally black with "an improvised" but removable black plexiplate that makes it look like I have hidden lights (for show only, I'll remove them when I drive it).  should make it look REALLY mean.
5. Tinted side windows.
6. Challenger emblems - try to paint red (not sure)
7. Bumpers black -  Can I do this?
8. Valence graphite
9. Fuel tank graphite with black supports.

Hopefully this gives you a good idea.

Some noobie questions:

1. 426 Hemi emblem on hood - I found the emblems on Ebay and they have spikes or rivets in the back.  Do I need to drill holes in my hood to install them?  how do I do this?  Is it blasphemy to badge it a Hemi and not put a hemi in it?  I'm not selling it....it is just for me!!  Here is link of what i want to get.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/426-HEMI-Emblems-OEM_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33654QQihZ015QQitemZ250204154188QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

I'll have more questions later but have to get back to my real life now....
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008 - 02:33:48 PM by Grasshopper »

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
Overall I really like the concept.  I look forward to seeing the plexiglass grill thing.
I personally wouldn't put Hemi badges on a car without a Hemi, but i have 'Cuda emblems on my barracuda, so what do I know.
The blackout trim ideas sounds cool, as do the modern wheels.  I am a fan of the pro touring cars as long as the modifications don't mess up the lines of a classic car.
** Shane **

Offline Grasshopper

Overall I really like the concept.  I look forward to seeing the plexiglass grill thing.
I personally wouldn't put Hemi badges on a car without a Hemi, but i have 'Cuda emblems on my barracuda, so what do I know.
The blackout trim ideas sounds cool, as do the modern wheels.  I am a fan of the pro touring cars as long as the modifications don't mess up the lines of a classic car.

Agreed.  I am a fan of the classic cars with modern touches.  I love the lines and the stance of these cars.  I am trying to keep it as clean as possible.  This car is just a way for me to learn mechanics and be a fun driver.

Yeah... I'm not sold yet on how to "badge" this car.  Would realy like help here.  What I really want is a "splash" of silver/red on the hood (preferrably the sides of the scoop).  I'm not too hung up on what it says or that it has to match what is under the hood as I don't know yet what I will put in or change in future.

Thanks for the input!!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008 - 03:03:00 PM by Grasshopper »

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
Hello Grasshopper.......... :wow:......Your car is looking very good.  :woo: Looks clean and straight.  :picture: Yes the lights do some strange reflecting sometimes and makes things appear that aren't really a problem.  :bigshades: I am keeping up with this thread as you are proceeding with a very good pace and since mine has been in the process for almost 4 years now.. :working:..well some folks are just faster than others......... :burnout:
Dave or David

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Oh, boy!  You descrption is making me  :drool:  :drool:  :drool: !!!!!

I can't wait to see it!  Sounds real good.

As far as the Hemi badges..... I had V6 emblems on my 4 cylinder Integra, sooooo....like FJ5_440, so what do I know.

All I know is that you might want to have something that is as powerfull as a Hemi in case some twit at the red light wins you in a race then there's a video on Youtube showing a '99 Camaro LS1 beating a Hemi Challenger.  :faint:  :hyper:

Or else put a 318 in and take a turn at the light when someone want's to race..... unless it's a hot 318.  :roflsmiley:  :grinyes:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger