Author Topic: THE RETURN OF...THE guy who knows nothing about cars... 1973 Challenger Project  (Read 38347 times)

Offline 71340RT

• Resident
Really moving along here and the Challenger looks great painted this color. The 426 emblem studs on the back would either have to be cut off and 2-way 3M tape applied or you would have to drill holes to attach them. For the money I would build up a small block and drop it in and enjoy all they have to offer in power gain with maybe a stroker kit. I was going to put a 440 in my 70 Cuda as the original 340 was long gone but decided to put the spare 70 340 engine I had to use and sell off some of the 440 stuff I had to fund my project. Good choice as gas really has went up since I got my Cuda finished and I kept the 440 for maybe another project down the road.

70 Plymouth Cuda 340 4-speed
71 Dodge Challenger RT 340 automatic
1973 Dodge Challenger 360 automatic EFI
2002 Harley Davidson Dyna Wide Glide
2003 Dodge Stratus RT coupe
2009 Challenger RT Classic B5 Blue
2014 Ram Express 5.7 Hemi 4X4

Offline Grasshopper

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.  You feel a little naked doing posts like this, especially if you are not sure what you are doing.  you guys have been great.

Engine question - I found this.....looks like good bang for buck.  Can someone chime in.  Would this be a good buy for me?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Mopar-SB-360-High-Performance-Rebuilt-7500-miles_W0QQitemZ200191074012QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Offline HP2

• Resident
Re: guy who knows nothing about cars...decides to build one! 1973 Challenger Pro
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2008 - 04:54:15 PM »
1.  Modern wheels with similar rims (graphite or black) pictured above with.....red calipers

Easy to do. Just find a wheel vendor with the style and spacing you want, and your in business. Enough guys on here have moved to 17" wheels that you just need to pick their brains for sizing choices and make the call. Red calipers are as easy as caliper paint from Plasticote. Find it at your local auto parts chain store. Or, if you want really get trick, a Viper caliper kit can put genuine RT10, four piston, black Viper calipers on 11.75 brake rotors for modern braking force and feel without radical modifications. This would cost you in the neighbohood of around $700-800. Or if your going to 17" wheels, you could put on 2nd gen, red Viper calipers with 13" rotors for the ultimate in stopping power for around a grand.

2. six pack hood and on the side of the hood scoop I want to badge it as a 426 hemi

It's you car, man, if you want to call it a Monoco and put the 6 pak scoop on backwards, its your business. Of course badging it as a Hemi means people will ask and then you may have to explain or shrug them off. See below for more info.

3. All trim in black
Another one that is not too hard to do. Anodizing or coating the pieces is the most durable way to do it, but you could paint them. Another trick you don't see too often and now that your paint is down it is too late to do, is shrinking and raising the windshield and backlight openings just enough to flush mount the glass and ditch the trim for a gasket is one of those subtle, but noticeably different things between old and new cars.

4. Front grill painted totally black with "an improvised" but removable black plexiplate that makes it look like I have hidden lights (for show only, I'll remove them when I drive it).  should make it look REALLY mean.
This is the toughest thing you have on the list. I have been looking at ways to convert my stationary light covers to moveable covers and there is no easy way to do it in a way that leaves them flush to the grill in the down postion or fully hides them in the up position. Right now mine are easily removed and I only put them on at track events. I anticipate I will need to also change the grill to more of a flush mounted set up once I can get a mechanism that works mocked up on my car. Scroll my avatar over to see the front end with the covers installed on my '74. It is VERY tough looking, IMO. If you want to look at different materials check out the mcmaster carr online catalog.

5. Tinted side windows.
This one is easy. Just take it to the tint shop and have it done. Looks great.

6. Challenger emblems - try to paint red (not sure)
There are enough reproduction badges out there that you can easily paint these red, either completely or just the centers to give them chrome trim, but that may clash with the rest of your black trim. You also can find enough repop badges that you won't need to put Hemi badges on something that isn't a Hemi. Because of the demand, Mopar makes badges for 318, 360, 340, all big blocks, 4 bbls, 6 bbls, or almost any combo you can think of. Go here; http://www.mopar.com/performance/muscle/index.html and open the catalg. Then open the restoration tab, then open decals and badges and take a look. Your local Dodge dealer can get you any of these. There also is the option that you could badge it something else that didn't ever exist. R/T/A, Challenger GTS, R/T8, or something like that. A friend of mine with a Demon adopted the Viper snake logo to his car and added the demon horns to it for his build up. Looks neat and different. Get creative here. If you really want metal badges, there is a company called Car Jewelry or something like that who can custom make any badge or logo you want. You also can spec almost any type of decal and have a local graphics shop cut them out in vinyl to be install on  your car. Crossbreeding other badges such as the Magnum V8 badge found on trucks through out the 90s or actually using Viper stuff is possible too.

7. Bumpers black -  Can I do this?
8. Valence graphite
9. Fuel tank graphite with black supports.
Yup, just scuff and shoot like any other body work. Don't forget the bumper bolts though.

Overall, love the theme and like your vision. It is coming together nicely.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008 - 01:15:40 PM by HP2 »

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
I LOVE THAT COLOR !!!!!   LOOKING GOOOOOOD!!!!!     :2thumbs:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
.....a Viper caliper kit can put genuine RT10, four piston, black Viper calipers on 11.75 brake rotors for modern braking force and feel without radical modifications. This would cost you in the neighbohood of around $700-800.

Wow, HP2, you da man! :thumbsup:  Lots of great ideas!

My idea is just to paint the calipers red and make a "Viper" stencil and spray paint it on.  I ain't got no $$$$!  :bricks1:  My way costs about $695 less!  :roflsmiley:  :smilielol:  but if you want to do it right....  :money:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Engine question - I found this.....looks like good bang for buck.  Can someone chime in.  Would this be a good buy for me?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1972-Mopar-SB-360-High-Performance-Rebuilt-7500-miles_W0QQitemZ200191074012QQihZ010QQcategoryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

3 things I see right away that scare me off.
1.The engine has 2 sleeves in it so the cylinders could have been cracked and leaking water.
2.The pistons could be  keith black "hypereutectic" pistons, pistons that I would not use in case you ever drop a valve. I only use FORGED.
3. 360s are externally balanced. Did he have it neutrally balanced or balanced for the offset weight. Since it isn't installed, you can't feel any violent vibrations till you install it in your car.

Get it if you really want it,  BUT it is always a crap shoot buying someone else's rebuild.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Grasshopper

3 things I see right away that scare me off.
1.The engine has 2 sleeves in it so the cylinders could have been cracked and leaking water.
2.The pistons could be  keith black "hypereutectic" pistons, pistons that I would not use in case you ever drop a valve. I only use FORGED.
3. 360s are externally balanced. Did he have it neutrally balanced or balanced for the offset weight. Since it isn't installed, you can't feel any violent vibrations till you install it in your car.

Get it if you really want it,  BUT it is always a crap shoot buying someone else's rebuild.

Thank you shelbydogg -  a bunch of others warned me not to buy this.  I'll until I am ready...always have an eye open on a good engine though so if anyone sees something interesting let me know.  (Street Small Block, 380 HP or more,  under $4K.)

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
That looks awesome!!! :cheers:  Very nice job with the work thus far! :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
Thank you shelbydogg -  a bunch of others warned me not to buy this.  I'll until I am ready...always have an eye open on a good engine though so if anyone sees something interesting let me know.  (Street Small Block, 380 HP or more,  under $4K.)

Just to let you know, you can build a 360 to at least 380hp for under $4000.
By the way the car looks great   :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline Grasshopper

Thanks again guys for all the advice.  HP2 you rock as always!!  Thanks for the detail. 

Quick engine question -  Do the crate 360's have the bad reputation as the Hemi crates.  I hear nothing but issues with the hemi crates.  Are the 360 crates built properly?

We are starting to fix any imperfections now before we do the compounding.  We removed the protective tape and paper and have circled areas that need attention.  I have shown these in the photos below.  We haven't started the hood or the smaller pieces yet.  Because of space limtations, we'll have to push the car out of the garage to do that work.  Hopefully we can get that done tomorrow because it is supposed to snow all next week in Montreal.

Here is where we are now.  New pictures after this morning: 

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
Looking great!  I love the color.  Your Painter is doing a great job on such a short schedule. :2cents:

Tom :picture:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Grasshopper

Looking great!  I love the color.  Your Painter is doing a great job on such a short schedule. :2cents:

Tom :picture:

Thank you Tom.  Yes.  I think he was anxious to see what it was going to look like too.  Plus a bunch of people have come into the rented storage space where we are doing the work to look at the car and have hired him on the spot for their projects based on this Challenger.  I am glad everything worked out for both of us because he certainly didn't make a profit helping me.  It was nice that a pro took the time to teach a newbie and pass on what knowledge he could.  A lot of this bodywork was touch and feel finesse.  He would explain it as he found areas I missed or the previous owners omitted but if I was doing it on my own I would have missed MANY issues. I did learn spraying paint is not an easily transferrable skill!  Maybe after 8 or 9 more cars I'll get the hang of it!  :)

A new car is coming into the space on Tuesday.  I guess he has to make a living now!!  So we have a hard deadline to finish the work over the next 48 hours.  I'll take pics of the final product and post them shortly.

Thanks again to all for the support.  Your posts mean a lot to me. Anyone who has done or is in the middle of one of these projects really appreciates the feedback.  It helps to ask questions as you go so you don't feel all alone doing this.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72

A new car is coming into the space on Tuesday.  I guess he has to make a living now!!  So we have a hard deadline to finish the work over the next 48 hours. 

Wow!  48 hours?  This is better than watching Overhailin'!  Car's looking great!  It's real nice of your buddy to help out so much!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Wow, looking super.  :2thumbs:
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Quick engine question -  Do the crate 360's have the bad reputation as the Hemi crates.  I hear nothing but issues with the hemi crates.  Are the 360 crates built properly?

Word is they are Krap....

You guys have made incredible progress...Just shows what a little time & a lot of know how can get ya....I gott get busy.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!