Author Topic: THE RETURN OF...THE guy who knows nothing about cars... 1973 Challenger Project  (Read 38341 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Great progress,looking real good.I`d leave out the Hemi emblems and maybe make up some custom 5.9 Magnum(360) decals or whatever engine you go with.hemi emblems without a Hemi make the car and owner wannabes when theres no shame in a stout smallblock.  :2cents:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline cudazappa

Re: guy who knows nothing about cars...decides to build one! 1973 Challenger Pro
« Reply #121 on: January 13, 2008 - 06:35:28 PM »
 :2thumbs:  wow this car is turning out sweet.  Like the look you are going after, is going to make a KILLER ride...  only other comment is don't put a hemi badge on a car that doesn't have a hemi.  You will take an overall amazing ride, and people will not take it seriously because of that.  That one detail will seriously detract.
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver

Offline Grasshopper

Thanks for all the comments guys.  Much appreciated.  Ok....I won't badge it a Hemi!!  killjoys!! ;D

Well....we started the work on december 17th and one day shy of a month the body work and paint is completed.  Seems a lot longer!!  Still have to do the compound on the hood,paint the valences, and paint fuel tank, but we can do that next week.  There are a few a little touch ups to do on the paint but my friend has also agreed to wait until the mechanics and interior are done, if I scratch anything, he'll repair and make the adjustments required when I am ready.  Awesome guy!

So...... I'm calling Phase 1 complete!!  Pictures are below.  I just put the car in storage today and will not take it out until May 2008.  Which gives me time to research the next project on this car.  I have decided to do the rear suspension next.  It needs a whole new backend and I will need your help and suggestions.

Should I post my questions here or on the main board?

Anyway....big thanks for all of you who have helped and given your advice.......I'm gonna sleep for a week now!!

Offline Chlngrcrzy

:woo: Looking good. I can hardly wait to see the next phase.

Offline 71_340Challenger

:iagree: Awesome work and in such a short amount of time. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Makes me want to go and do something on mine!

:droolingbounce:                     :2thumbs:
1971 Dodge Challenger                
2009 Dodge Challenger R/T, 6 speed manual
2009 Dodge Charger R/T w/ Road & Track Package
1995 Ford F-150

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
 :wow: Looks great!  :2thumbs:
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
I just paged through this whole thread. Beautiful work, Grasshopper. I may have missed it so I'll ask: is that a Viper-only paint? I'm going with a graphite color on mine as well, and I think I may have found the right color.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
 :wow:
That looks beautiful!  I can't believe how fast you guys got that much done.  I can't wait to see this thing finished.
** Shane **

Offline Grasshopper

I just paged through this whole thread. Beautiful work, Grasshopper. I may have missed it so I'll ask: is that a Viper-only paint? I'm going with a graphite color on mine as well, and I think I may have found the right color.

Thank you.  I wanted the same graphite that was used on the 2002 vipers.  Here is the info you need to get the paint.  It is a very dark graphite.  If you need anything else, please let me know.

Paint Code is ZDR

Sales code for the paint is PDR

Sherwin-Williams Universal code for any body shop   61889

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
Looks Awesome!

I don't know if I could wait 4 months to pull it back out though.LOL  Keep it up!

Tom :picture:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Grasshopper

Looks Awesome!

I don't know if I could wait 4 months to pull it back out though.LOL  Keep it up!

Tom :picture:

I know..I know....well the sooner you guys can advise me about the rearend the sooner I can get back to work!  I guess I could pull it out of storage again!   

I think I'm addicted!

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
That color is really cool! Nice job. Mayby shoulda' done the mechanics first,then paint. Either way Looks sweet! Does it already have an 8 3/4 rearend?   How about XV Level 1 stuff.  :dunno:  I couldn't put it in storage either...I'd hafta' play with it!!!     GREAT COLOR CHOICE !!!!! :bigsmile:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline Grasshopper

That color is really cool! Nice job. Mayby shoulda' done the mechanics first,then paint. Either way Looks sweet! Does it already have an 8 3/4 rearend?   How about XV Level 1 stuff.  :dunno:  I couldn't put it in storage either...I'd hafta' play with it!!!     GREAT COLOR CHOICE !!!!! :bigsmile:

Thank you!!

I have the wrong rearend (so I am told -  again I am learning everyday as I go).

It has an 8 1/4 with 2.76 gears.  It was beautifully restored but I can't use it.  Pictures below.  (I also bought new leaf springs that I installed - the ones in the pictures were falling apart).

I am looking for 8 3/4 with at least a 3.55 gears.  I have just started the research so any help is really appreciated.

Offline Grasshopper

Some people have asked me for some more "before" pictures.  Here are some early pictures of the car just before we started all the body work and paint.  I'm not sure if you can tell by the pictures but we had a really good start because the previous owners spent 2 years on the frame work.  So it was very solid to begin with....just needed some TLC.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
Thank you!!

I have the wrong rearend (so I am told -  again I am learning everyday as I go).

It has an 8 1/4 with 2.76 gears.  It was beautifully restored but I can't use it.  Pictures below.  (I also bought new leaf springs that I installed - the ones in the pictures were falling apart).

I am looking for 8 3/4 with at least a 3.55 gears.  I have just started the research so any help is really appreciated.

I think you have an 8 3/4...see the front bolts hold the chunk..vs a rear inspecion plate.. may just need new gears.

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!