THE RETURN OF...THE guy who knows nothing about cars... 1973 Challenger Project

Author Topic: THE RETURN OF...THE guy who knows nothing about cars... 1973 Challenger Project  (Read 38307 times)

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

Re: guy who knows nothing about cars...decides to build one! 1973 Challenger Project
« Reply #180 on: September 16, 2008 - 12:00:39 AM »
VERY COOL

Offline chevyconvert

• HvacMan
  • Member since November 04, 2005
Re: guy who knows nothing about cars...decides to build one! 1973 Challenger Project
« Reply #181 on: September 19, 2008 - 12:29:52 PM »
Nice work G.Hopper.
My  :2cents:...I have the '70 4-speed with a 3.23 s.grip (originally an auto).
If I could I would swap to the 3.55 for better driveability around town.
I believe I read the 3.55 was the highest stock gear ratio offered with the 4-speed R/T's....
Eric
'70 Hemi Orange RT/SE 440 Six Pack Pistol-Grip 4 speed
Bay Area California

Offline Grasshopper

Wow...I didn't realize people would still be posting while I was away in this thread.  You guys are great.  Well.....I'm back and ready to start working on the car again.  Here is the latest and reason for the delay.

As some of you know, I purchased on old victorian home this summer built around 1860's. The challenge in finding an old home is finding a garage on the same property. Most are old barns. We did eventually did find the home after looking every weekend for a solid year. It did have a building called "a garage" but it was falling apart.

I've spent the last 3 months renovating the building before I could move my cars into it. A few of you that know me and know I am have been working on the project all summer have requested some pictures.

So here they are pictures and some back ground. (We have the history of the property through our notary documents)

The garage was originally a carriage house built around the 1890's the earliest reference and of mention of it being garage is in 1917. When we bought the property the earth was 2 feet higher than the foundation walls of the garage so over the years moisture had eaten its way right though most of the bottom of the structure. The cement was wrecked, the roof was leaking, a stream was flowing through one end of the building to another, bees nests, birds nests, 6 inch nails sticking out, junk filled both levels, garage door was falling off....etc. We were planning on tearing it down and building new....

But one look inside and the original craftmanship and woodwork of the interior told me to save it and fix it up. They don't make building like this anymore.

My friends and I did most of the work. We are not professionals just motivated car guys. It is not quite finished yet but here is where it is at for this year.

Here are the before pictures:

Offline Grasshopper

The work begins:  This was a little more dangerous than we knew...there was nothing supporting the entire front of the building.....so we went to Canadian Tire and bought a bunch of 20 ton hydraulic jacks and propped up the building......we later returned the jacks as they were obviously defective!  :grinno:

Offline Grasshopper

And the garage as it stands right now. Not perfect nor will it ever be but it is functional and has great potential to become a dream garage for me. Oh...while I was having new electrical box and wires put in...I had them also install internet and cable TV!! Woohoo!!

« Last Edit: October 24, 2008 - 09:48:22 AM by Grasshopper »

Offline Grasshopper

I know...I know....get off the silly building already and get to the car.  I'll post updates this weekend and give you details of what I want to do over the next 3 months.  Then you can advise me as I break parts, screw up, and scream profanities at no one in particular!

I'll need to take some pictures this weekend.  Here's a tease....I did decide on the engine.

Got this while I was building the garage!! 

Offline dutch

• Sr. Resident
 :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
*** Bart ***

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
Looks like you are pretty good at refreshing wood and metal.    Those wheel dollies sure are a big help.  As you put stuff back in the car it will get harder to roll around though.   I liked the instructions that came with them.............Do not use on a hill as  your brakes will not work!!!!!!!!!!! :scared:
Dave or David

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Thanks for the update, Grasshopper!

The garage-looks great!  :thumbsup:

The car- looks super!  :2thumbs:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
 :woo:Welcome Back John! :woo:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Grasshopper

Thanks guys....it's good to be back!! 

I've actually made some progress on the car since the last pictures were taken.  It's going to rain all weekend pretty hard so i'm not sure if I can get the parts out to take all the photo's but I'll try.

Is your car on the road Scott?

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
Thanks guys....it's good to be back!! 

I've actually made some progress on the car since the last pictures were taken.  It's going to rain all weekend pretty hard so i'm not sure if I can get the parts out to take all the photo's but I'll try.

Is your car on the road Scott?

Any updates John?

I will be starting back to work on my car next week I hope, Its not ready to drive yet.
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline Grasshopper

Any updates John?

I will be starting back to work on my car next week I hope, Its not ready to drive yet.

Yep.  I am taking some pictures this week and posting.  I'm just redoing the hood as it got badly scratched during storage.  I finished some other stuff and I'm getting items to start the interior.

Quick question.....how much Dynamat do I need?

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS

Quick question.....how much Dynamat do I need?

As much as you can afford lol…
I used 4 or 5 boxes of the Dynamat Xtreme Bulk Pak
Contents: (9) 18"x 32" (457mm x 812mm) pieces of Dynamat Xtreme
Total Coverage: 36 ft² (3.34 m²)
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline whitsend

Hopper, What is the motor out of and what size cubic inch? Also what year car did it come from? Thanks much! :2thumbs: