Author Topic: THE RETURN OF...THE guy who knows nothing about cars... 1973 Challenger Project  (Read 38298 times)

Offline Grasshopper

Hopper, What is the motor out of and what size cubic inch? Also what year car did it come from? Thanks much! :2thumbs:

Hi - I bought the motor from an employee at Chrysler in MI and had it shipped to Montreal.  It is a 5.7 hemi out of a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee.  The motor has less than 100 miles.  I think it is around 345 cubic inch (?)  not sure.

I am purchasing XV Motors Hemi Carb kit that should bring it up to 430 -440 HP once I am done.  I'm just waiting to see if another supplier comes up with a similar solution at a cheaper price.

Offline 4THECHALLENGE

very cool power plant.. wish i had the dough..i went with  A 340

Offline Grasshopper

Ok.  Yep....I lost it....I got frustrated and was out....now I'm back in it for a while.

So after 2 months of putting my car up for sale and selling it twice to people who did not have the money to pay for it.....then looking to buy a more completed car for 2 months, driving sometimes 6 hours at a time to see a car that was nothing like the pictures or description I was sent.............screw it!  Mine is better than anything I saw on the market so I am going to take it to another level of completeness.

I am going to finish a few outstanding exterior pieces and then I am going to start working on the interior.

Sorry guys.....don't know what I was thinking.

Let's begin where the work left off......

Offline Grasshopper

Sooooo.......I wanted to finish the last remaining exterior pieces which were the badly beaten up front and rear valences.  I was able to repair them and to my complete surprise they turned out really nice.

Here are the before pictures.

Offline Grasshopper

Here is the finished product.  Again....I'm a bit better than I was a year ago but still everything I do is new.  I'm not quite sure how I even attach these.  Are there kits?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009 - 04:28:50 PM by Grasshopper »

Offline Grasshopper

The last exterior piece I wanted to complete.....well undercarraige part was the gas tank.  When I bought the project, in one of the MANY boxes of parts (read rusted stuff!!) I found a box with a brand new gas tank.

Offline Grasshopper

I decided to do up the tank similar to the exterior of the car.  Protected and then painted it with the graphite paint.  I am not sure if this will show well or not.....but it is done.  Turned out pretty cool.

Offline Grasshopper

Which brings us to the interior now and it is what made me quit the project.  I was expecting the interior to be so difficult or expensive.  I am missing a million parts.  I am going to need all your help to walk me through this next part.

First let me get you up to speed.

I decided to do the interior in a mix of black and graphite with some small splashes of red.  The door panel pieces looked like crap so I have spent most of my time fixing those parts first and now they are done.

Here is before:
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009 - 04:30:36 PM by Grasshopper »

Offline Grasshopper

Here are the completed parts and where I am now.

Offline Grasshopper

So that is where I am right now.  Today I ordered sound deadner, a dashpad cap, and headliner.

So the next part of my project will be prepping the core, fixing the cracked dash with a cap, putting the dash back in, putting in the sound deadener and installing the head liner.

Have no idea what I am doing..................help and suggestions PLEASE!!!!

Great to back and working again!

Hey.....what happened to all my earlier pictures?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009 - 04:58:28 PM by Grasshopper »

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Nice work!!   :2thumbs:

Unfortunately, we have lost quite a few pictures lately.   :pullinghair:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chlngrcrzy

You are way ahead of me :2thumbs: And you sound like you have a direction and know what needs to be done. I am Glad you kept your car, and it will be well worth it when you are done. If i was closer, i would come over and help you out, but i am a long wayyyssss away.  :cheers:

Offline Grasshopper

Nice work!!   :2thumbs:

Unfortunately, we have lost quite a few pictures lately.   :pullinghair:

Can we get them back.  It took me days last time to fix everything that was missing.  Did we get hacked again or server issues?

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
No, the server got filled up with photos and Ross had to clear out the older ones.  It's a maintenance thing that he has to do from time to time.  If you upload your photos to Photobucket or some other online hosting site, you can link to them and they'll never disappear.  Photobucket is free.
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline e-tek

• My website: http://edanneberg.googlepages.com/home
    • E-Tek Resto's
Hey,
You should take a look at my thread - Chilli Challenger. I just did my interior, including headliner, dash pad repair and cap, carpet, seats, door panels, console. your door panels look great! if you have any questions feel free to pm me.