MSD, Pertronix, or FBO

Author Topic: MSD, Pertronix, or FBO  (Read 12784 times)

Offline BIG MIKE

Re: MSD, Pertronix, or FBO
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2004 - 03:04:42 AM »
when i installed my msd box, i kept all the org. plugs so i could change back if the box gave out. that way i don't leave my car...to change it i think i would have to change one wire back and unhook the power, i keep the directions in the trunk with a cap, rotor, wires,stock box ect. but i did notice a difference from the stock setup to the msd box on my 340, it felt like it had more torque. i keep the stock dist. so i could change it back quicker

i'll be looking for a setup for my 528 hemi
« Last Edit: September 01, 2004 - 03:10:47 AM by BIG MIKE »

Offline Autophile

• Kowalski... and the keys to a sawed-off weekend!
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2004 - 12:05:42 PM »
cuda66273, I took LB's comment "MSD...(My Slow Distributor)... ::) ::)" as trash talking. It is certainly not a factual comment.

Thanks for the summary about FBO products. I had never heard of them before this thread. I appreciate that you can talk objectively about your competitors.

That's funny about the huge number of "bad" MSD boxes around. I have never seen one go bad. I guess everyone I've ever met with an MSD ignition just knew how to order the correct model for their applications, set them up, and operate them. Or else we have all been incredibly lucky!  ;D

1971 Cuda, black/black, 419 cu. in. 3G Hemi with twin turbos (build in progress), AlterKtion, Wilwood 12.19" disks, billet Rallye wheels

Offline Videomagician

• settlemoir.tv
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2004 - 03:40:43 PM »
A MSD set-up, distributor, box, coil for a Mopar is about $600.00 and for the novice or weekend mechanic a challenge to install correctly. It will spin to 10,000 RPM, it will put out 40KV+, but if the box fails your not going to find a replacement at the 7/11 or a general Auto Parts Store in Bowdunk Arkansas, you need a tow truck.

I ainta seen one of them ther 711 stores before down Bowdunk way, and the only tow truck purty near this hear county is my uncle in laws GMC with the big chane he done stoled off ah loggin truck...

;D

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye w/440
2002 Chrysler Town and Country eX
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4WD Hemi

Offline cuda66273

• 11.75@116 All Iron 318 4secondsflat.com
    • FBO Systems
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2004 - 08:13:43 AM »
MSD Distributor set-up?

The MSD Distributors come with a set of springs, bushings and instructions on how to set the mechanical advance window and curve.  What they don't tell you is where to set those numbers for optimum performance, without the knowledge to set it correctly it's a guess at best.  Probably 90% or better of the MSD Distributors that we check in our shop or at the track need adjusting and it shows immediatly on the time slip.

I love the Guy's that say "10-36* and all in at 2200RPM" for everyone, right....and which particular tree do you do your work under?  If this was true then why aren't they available with that set-up already dialed into them?

Here's how we start:

We first look at the Cam duration at 50
208-218 we pencil in a 16* base
219 to 224...18*
225-230...20*
231-240...22*
241-250...24
251-260+...26

Once we have determined this number we then look at the Tranny(Gear or Auotmatic), gear ratio, intake, header size, weight of vehicle, tire diameter, convertor stall, compression ratio, head type and some other small details to determine whether we go up or down from the base initial timing.

The timing events and how far we take the total is determined from all these numbers also.  The end result is a perfectly matched curve and mechanical advance window to give you optimum performance.
As long as we get the correct information the distributor will work flawlessly and give you optimum timing for your particular combination.

So you look at those initial numbers and compare those to your MSD instructions and you'll see that the most initial you can get from the MSD bushings is 18* intial and that gives you a total of 36*?? typical CHEVY Curve, not a Mopar.  Mopars with a flat top piston should not run more than 34* total so now the most you can get is 16+18=34*, not much room there.

We hand build new bushings for the MSD distributors to achieve the correct timing events, I've talked to MSD a 100 times about this and they are very reluctant to build any bigger bushings due to a liability issue.  The typical Chevy Guy will put in the biggest possible bushing as Bigger is Always Better and detonate his motor to death on the 1st pass.

....which is fine as it keeps us in business.

Comes down to this:
"Nothing is a Bolt on, Ready to Run is pure BS"

I could spew information all day here, if you want to know more read my tch articles on ignition and Mopar Distributors in the tech section of our web site:  www.4secondsflat.com

I've also just added a tech article to help you remove and re-install you distributor.

Don

"You Can Never Exceed the Speed of Your Wallet"
FBO Billet Distributors, ECU's,  Coils, Custom Curved & Phased Distributors
Demon Carbs, Barry Grant Fuel Systems, Cometic Gaske

Offline BIG MIKE

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2004 - 12:22:17 AM »
what about rev limiters..can you use a setup on the FBO

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2004 - 02:59:28 AM »
it woul dwork with a rev limter like the Msd soft touch

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline DodgeFreak

• Cars and trucks are my friends..
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2004 - 11:49:14 PM »
do you set up Dist. for Slant six's?? ;D
74 Plymouth Duster- restoring

77 Dodge D150 shortbox- as long as i don't change my mind will be a step side dually diesel or a 383 powered truck

04 durango 4.7

Offline cuda66273

• FBO Systems
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2004 - 09:27:17 AM »
Yes we sure do

Offline kowalski

• Challenger=SCCA Trans Am Homologation Special
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2004 - 01:11:16 PM »
MSD!!!!!!!!!!
1970 318 bored .060 over edelbrock performer intake ported and polished 360 J heads 2.02 intake 1.60 exhaust double springs carter hi cap fuel pump edelbrock victor series water pump MSD 6AL flotech headers

Offline cuda66273

• FBO Systems
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2004 - 12:14:22 PM »
If your name sake had been running an MSD and it broke down in that junk yard it would have been a re-run of Bonnie and Clyde..and he'd a been buried there.

With our system he could have yanked the ECU off that mini-bike (was that her name?) and he'd been ridin' high ;D ;D ;D

Offline JoltinJoe

• BALZ TO THE WALZ MAN
Re: MSD, Pertronix, or FBO for under an e-body shaker hood
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2009 - 02:00:50 AM »
I'd like to revive this four plus year old thread.  Last count was FBO by far.  What do you guys recommend these days that will fit under the e-body shaker hood?  Also, add in any other new makes...
HIS: '68 GMC 3/4 ton pick-up truck, '73 Barracuda, '87 Firebird, '01 Jeep Cherokee and finally a '70 Barracuda Convertible!
HERS: 1980 Toyota Starlet, 1995 SAAB 9-5 and then '01 SAAB 9-3 and currently '08 Saab 9-3 convertible!
NEXT IS MINE: purple 2010 Dodge Challenger!!!

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2009 - 09:34:32 AM »
My set up...a MSD E-Curve dist, a MSD 7al spark box, a MSD HVC coil, Delphi spark plug wires (from Ebay, nascar race wires-seems better than MSD) and Delphi race plugs. (has a cut back elector).

Runs great, day after day...sure it cost $$$ but my spark plugs stay nice and clean. End of season I replace plugs but they look still clean.

Most problems with MSD is bad grounds, bad wiring.

Offline 500Stroker

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2009 - 09:49:55 AM »
I use the FBO stuff.  Had a bad ECU in warranty period that Don replaced for free by Priority Mail before I even sent the old one back.  Now after 3 years the coil died.  Other than that no problems.

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2009 - 12:10:27 PM »
I've been fine with FBO. I think it's been 5-6 years now.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2009 - 12:48:01 PM »
my personal experience with The FBO systems is as we replaced every part of the FBO with stock Mopar dist & MSD or pertronics coil  the cars performance has improved with the exception of the ECU
« Last Edit: May 10, 2009 - 12:49:50 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t