71 Convertible Ground-Up Restoration - The journey begins !

Author Topic: 71 Convertible Ground-Up Restoration - The journey begins !  (Read 29808 times)

Offline Challenger_7

Re: 71 Convertible Ground-Up Restoration - The journey begins !
« Reply #75 on: January 18, 2008 - 09:37:45 AM »
Any news about how your convertible is going. :dunno:
Hey ther my Ausie friend, good to hear from you :thumbsup:
Yes I was about to do some more reporting, and here goes.
The body shop are progressing well on the car and have located few areas that needed attention.
I took some photos but with my cell phone but cannot seem to transfer them to my computer ??? I can some photos but not others, so will have to figure it out or use my camera.
One interesting issue is that at the back corners (both sides) just behind the back window where the rear fenders join up with the middle section of the trunk, there was much lead filling. I know many manufacturers use this method in finishing, I presume easier than straightening the body and healthier than using fillers. So the chap there is going to melt it out and push the body panels up to the correct position. Will post some photos next time.
Next week I will be doing some more restoration on the remaining parts of the dash, starting with the switches panel. By the way, I found a convertible switch with PGClassic, thanks.
Past couple of days, I was busy on final touches to my 56 Desoto's stop lights. See photo! I love this car!
Weather here is great, cold but sunny, so will use the red challenger over the week end.
Hope you have a great one.
71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto small block
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Others: http://www.cardomain.com/id/Challenger_7

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #76 on: January 18, 2008 - 05:36:01 PM »
Any pics of the Desoto? anyway, they all had lead in the C pillar (about a 2-3" wide spread) the trouble with grinding it (in my experience) was that i filled the area with fiberglass, a few years later i have a small crack in the paint in that area, and now i just realized that im talking about a convertible and that this doesnt apply here  :blah: anyway, i suppose you can just make sure he uses something strong in that area. i know that converts take more stress than hardtops. Love that '71!!

:2thumbs:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #77 on: January 18, 2008 - 06:28:58 PM »
Just a note... My experance with the rear section on ebody conv.
The seam flexas a lot in that area so it tends to crack unless its solid like lead, or like your going to do weld it up solid.
I tride body filler in the past and it always cracked later on. :2cents:

You do have a nice car. :smokin:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #78 on: January 22, 2008 - 05:37:43 AM »
Hey Farouk,

How was the weekend, did the car get worked on buddy.  I would like to see a picture of the Desoto aswell please. :drool:

Kenny.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #79 on: January 22, 2008 - 06:31:13 AM »
Hey Kenny, good to hear from you buddy.

I was out of the office yesterday and just got in now (1:30 pm). I have taken some pics yesterday and have a few issues to report and questions to ask.
Yes with much pleasure I will post a photo or 2 of the Desoto.
Let me download my photos frommthe camera and get back to you, and remark on the rest of the comments too.
Talk to you soon ;)
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #80 on: January 22, 2008 - 06:34:45 AM »
No worries Farouk,

Fire away with the questions when ever you get a chance and i will try help with what i know. :faint:

Kenny. :clapping:

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #81 on: January 22, 2008 - 07:51:01 AM »
wally426ci You cracked me up with your comment :roflsmiley: But you also confused me. Were you talking about your coupe? If yes, it looks like both cars have the same problem of cracks there as my red coupe also has cracks there too. So your comments were very much relevant. Thanks.
Also very happy you are interested in the Desoto. It is a tough job to conclude because there are no suppliers of parts for it and I have to manage much !! I also tried getting a forum like this one for it but no luck!! I was very happy to find an original upholstery supplier who did the covers with the same cloth as then. I am very anxious to have the seats done, which hopefully will be within the next couple of weeks. Will post a photo then.
The attached photo is during a car show in Lebanon 2 summers away. No competition, just a show. I was driving and my betters half next to me. Cheers.
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #82 on: January 22, 2008 - 08:24:27 AM »
Just a note... My experance with the rear section on ebody conv.
The seam flexas a lot in that area so it tends to crack unless its solid like lead, or like your going to do weld it up solid.
I tride body filler in the past and it always cracked later on. :2cents:

You do have a nice car. :smokin:
Thanks for your compliment and useful comments. In fact it seems that the car was worked upon before in that area and had brass soldering there which also cracked. See photos. What I need to know from you and any convertible owner, was there a recess between the two sections as there is on the coupe? Not sure what to call it but see photo of my coupe.
The way the convertible's metal work is structured does not look like it had that recess. Can you pls help me out. Thanks.
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #83 on: January 22, 2008 - 08:39:24 AM »
Some more things were taken out of the way on the dash. I finished restoring the switches panel including opening up the lights dimmer switch which was bad (see 4th pic). These mechanical swithces are so easy to repair :grinyes: Also repainted the lower section on my dash after stripping it and removing all the red paint that was on it. And here comes the interesting part of how to restore that look on a worn out plastic section, which I will post after the switches pics.
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #84 on: January 22, 2008 - 09:01:27 AM »
Thanks for your compliment and useful comments. In fact it seems that the car was worked upon before in that area and had brass soldering there which also cracked. See photos. What I need to know from you and any convertible owner, was there a recess between the two sections as there is on the coupe? Not sure what to call it but see photo of my coupe.
The way the convertible's metal work is structured does not look like it had that recess. Can you pls help me out. Thanks.
Wow,
56 Desoto 4 door hardtop. Very nice.  Has it still got the Hemi in it Farouk. :o

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #85 on: January 22, 2008 - 09:08:52 AM »
This is an interesting experience and I wonder if anyone has gone through a similar thing.
As my car was completely changed to a red interior, which meant either covering some parts with red Vinyl or painting, I am having to remove the paint, then leaving the original black plastic there if still in good shape or repainting with black.
To remove paint off a plastic component is very tough. If you rub it, the plastic will loose its texture, and sometimes when painted, it is covered with so much paint that it looses its texture anyway and has a smooth finish which is not desireable.
My only hope was to use thinner very carefully as leaving thinner for a longer period will also melt the plastic.
After cleaning the plastic piece which sits at the lowest part of my dash (first picture), I saw that it was previously rubbed down, presumably to be painted, and thus had lost its texture. So, in order to get the texture back, I would place a piece of tissue paper on the plastic, spray the tissue with thinner and wait 25 seconds then peal it off. It would leave the texture of the tissue on the plastic.
I have attached a sample of the proceedure showing half a plate being done so that you can see the difference between the two portions, and finally a portion of the plastic part which I completed (used to be red, first picture).
You have to be carefull not to leave it longer than 25 seconds because then the tissue will stick on and you are in deep trouble.
You can tell it is time to remove it as the tissue will change from a dark color (wet look) and start becoming more whitish in color as it is beginning to dry up. Thats when you remove it.
Concluding from this, you find the right texture of tissue and you can put it on your plastic part. Voila :icon16: Maybe I should post this as a separate thread for the restorers??
More comments tomorrow as I have to run away now. Cheers.
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #86 on: January 22, 2008 - 09:11:16 AM »
Wow,
56 Desoto 4 door hardtop. Very nice.  Has it still got the Hemi in it Farouk. :o

Yes it has and working great, but I would like to have it openned sometime in future.
This one has the strongets engine offered for that year model.
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #87 on: January 22, 2008 - 09:11:51 AM »
That is genius! i would have shortcut to using textured paint, but that looks great!  :2thumbs:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #88 on: January 22, 2008 - 09:12:47 AM »
 :wow: Farouk, you have been doing your homework buddy. :clapping:

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #89 on: January 22, 2008 - 09:19:29 AM »
Thanks guys :bigsmile: Wally, we are not always blessed by such things here as textured paints, so I had to come up with something.
But you know the scope of this is that you may be able to copy many other textures by using different tissues or maybe even cloth, so the scope becomes much wider!
Maybe one day I will be able to copy the texture of the original dash pad ??
Will talk more tomorrow. Bye for now my good friends.
71 Chally Auto 400