71 Convertible Ground-Up Restoration - The journey begins !

Author Topic: 71 Convertible Ground-Up Restoration - The journey begins !  (Read 29786 times)

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
Re: 71 Convertible Ground-Up Restoration - The journey begins !
« Reply #90 on: January 22, 2008 - 09:23:36 AM »
 :bigsmile: sounds great! creativity is what works here, glad to see you using your nogan!  :cheers:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2008 - 01:20:54 PM »
Thanks for your compliment and useful comments. In fact it seems that the car was worked upon before in that area and had brass soldering there which also cracked. See photos. What I need to know from you and any convertible owner, was there a recess between the two sections as there is on the coupe? Not sure what to call it but see photo of my coupe.
The way the convertible's metal work is structured does not look like it had that recess. Can you pls help me out. Thanks.

Will this shot of my car help. :picture: This section is factory minus the lead we melted out of the seam. I did have a body guy put brass in one of my other cars but it cracked also. Convertibles are smooth in that area and ushally cracked...

I will have to look for a better one if not. :faint:
« Last Edit: January 22, 2008 - 01:22:28 PM by thedodgeboys »
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #92 on: January 22, 2008 - 07:22:00 PM »
The convertible is smooth in that area. It was filled with lead from the factory due to the convertible flexing.  Think of the convertible as a box without a lid.  My convertible has always had subframe connectors. It hasnt cracked.  I do not know for sure if that is why.  They do make the car more rigid.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #93 on: January 23, 2008 - 05:12:47 AM »
Will this shot of my car help. :picture: This section is factory minus the lead we melted out of the seam. I did have a body guy put brass in one of my other cars but it cracked also. Convertibles are smooth in that area and ushally cracked...

I will have to look for a better one if not. :faint:
Thanks a bunch for the pic and comments. In fact my car looks exactly like that so now I feel much better and will have it welded all the way instead of just spot welds.
I saw your resto project and it is an awsome car you are doing there! I must try to find more time to see what is happening around within this fantastic group. Great show man :ylsuper: I will keep watching to learn a thing or two about the rest of the "mechanics" that drive the car seeing I am stroking my engine to a mild 451 from source440.
Good luck.
71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto small block
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Others: http://www.cardomain.com/id/Challenger_7

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #94 on: January 23, 2008 - 05:19:31 AM »
The convertible is smooth in that area. It was filled with lead from the factory due to the convertible flexing.  Think of the convertible as a box without a lid.  My convertible has always had subframe connectors. It hasnt cracked.  I do not know for sure if that is why.  They do make the car more rigid.
Thanks, again your comments also reassured me. In fact I have ordered a set of subframe connectors through year one and I believe they get them from "Auto Rusttech". Hope they are a good brand, and hopefully as assured by your experience, will have no more cracks :woo:
This brings in one question. My connectors need to be welded. Some are drilled and fixed in. Can we have a vote on what is better??
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #95 on: January 23, 2008 - 05:44:33 AM »
Welding is the only way to go. :2thumbs: IMO
 I think the ones that weld to the floor bord and the frame are probably stronger also.
I have the older Mopar style that bolt in, I had them welded in but wish they attached to the floorbords I may go back and add something. 8)
Thanks for the nice words your car is looking great also. Keep the pictures comming. :picture:
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #96 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:11:14 AM »
Well I am happy so far one opinion is for welding the connectors.
OK, some more pictures and one more story to tell.
On the body, we found a rusted area under the door which is being attended to, and with the "seam" behind the rear window now sorted out, we will press on with that too. Some photos below.
The green undercoat looks to me like factory own. Is it :dunno:
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008 - 06:14:04 AM by Challenger_7 »
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline Got JOB

• Member since 2-14-06
« Reply #97 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:17:27 AM »
My frame connectors are also the bolt-in and then welded type. They hang just a little low at the rear frame rail,, but they do the job.
70 T/A Plum crazy
71 vert. viper red
74 Rallye triple black ( sold )
76 Aspen Wagon
West Georgia

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #98 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:39:04 AM »
Now here is the "one more story" to tell. I was told by one of the old timer mechanics that I deal with that he knows of a current Mitsubishi parts dealer that used to have Chally parts. So I went and checked him out on Monday and lo and behold, he had a brand new front grill  :jumping: I almost flipped when I saw it as mine got broke in front where the silver lip is under the grill and was contemplating on repairing it. But with this find, I went for it and will repair the other and keep as a spare. He let it go for $400, which is not bad at all. He also promised to search all his store for any Chally parts still there and will let me know. Already he confirmed having one of the headlight frames (aluminum) and I need 2. He thinks he can give me a whole set of switches (headlight, wiper etc..) and has a new Mopar outer door handle. So will keep fingers crossed for more goodies :naughty:
One little snag, see second photo, that grill was wrongly assembled and the "Dodge" is in the opposite corner to where it should be :swear: So I will check my options on the easiest way to correct that !
Last night after striping and repainting a couple of interior under dash plastic panels, I cleaned the grill and painted the black part in silver granulated paint as was on mine. By the way, the paint is great from Eastwood and really looks like the original one. However, I do not think all the granules will stay unless I protect the paint with a clear coat, as when I rubbed my fingers on it this morning, some paint flakes off. I will buy some clear today and spray it on, but boy is that paint messy !!! I mean the silver granules just fly all over the place...major cleaning job afterwards :o
See attached photos. I purposely left the close up photo larger in order to see the granules.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2008 - 06:42:03 AM by Challenger_7 »
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #99 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:48:36 AM »
Thanks Got Job. Boy, what a gorgeous looking car you have there :ylsuper:
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline Got JOB

• Member since 2-14-06
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:57:15 AM »
Thanks, it might look good in the pics but it has a few flaws. Post more pictures, I enjoy seeing your progress.
70 T/A Plum crazy
71 vert. viper red
74 Rallye triple black ( sold )
76 Aspen Wagon
West Georgia

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2008 - 06:59:09 AM »
wow - a NOS grille for $400?? I know the Cuda grilles are expensive if/when you can find them. I would say you did pretty well on that Chally grille! :ylsuper:
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #102 on: January 23, 2008 - 09:09:48 AM »
 :money: ka-ching you scored o that grille... odd that the dodge logo is upside down :clueless:

Great photos :2thumbs:
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #103 on: January 23, 2008 - 09:57:01 AM »
:money: ka-ching you scored o that grille... odd that the dodge logo is upside down :clueless:

Great photos :2thumbs:
LOL, thanks. You know what surely has happened, the chappie assemblig the grille held it upside down and then rivited the oval frames accordingly.
The badge is not only upside down but in the wrong corner! It should be bottom right.

Thanks Mike. I hope to get a good deal on the rest of the stuff too.
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #104 on: January 23, 2008 - 10:44:39 AM »
that grille would go for $1200-$1500 here in the U.S.!!!!!!  :money: you may very well be the luckiest member to date!

:cooldancing: im so happy that that worked out, you know that its like a 1 in a million chance that you would find an NOS grille over there!  :2thumbs:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100