71 Convertible Ground-Up Restoration - The journey begins !

Author Topic: 71 Convertible Ground-Up Restoration - The journey begins !  (Read 29789 times)

Offline Challenger_7

Re: 71 Convertible Ground-Up Restoration - The journey begins !
« Reply #105 on: January 23, 2008 - 10:50:59 AM »
that grille would go for $1200-$1500 here in the U.S.!!!!!!  :money: you may very well be the luckiest member to date!

:cooldancing: im so happy that that worked out, you know that its like a 1 in a million chance that you would find an NOS grille over there!  :2thumbs:
WooooooooooW  :scared: Really ???
OK, wait, what if it is a reproduction? How do I find out?
71 Chally Conv 383 Magnum Manual - Hurst
71 Chally Auto 383 Magnum R/T 100% Orig
71 Chally Auto 400
70 Chally Auto small block
72 Charger SE Manual - Hurst
73 Plymouth Satellite "Sebring Plus" 100% Orig
Others: http://www.cardomain.com/id/Challenger_7

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #106 on: January 23, 2008 - 10:53:51 AM »
Im no parts number guru with that stuff, but i will say that i am unaware of anyone reproducing '71 grilles. and if it is, then it looks pretty darn good for a repro!! my figures may be a year or 2 off, but its still a $1000 piece for sure! 

:ebay:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #107 on: January 23, 2008 - 11:18:16 AM »
Boy am I lucky then!!!
When I get home I will look at it closer and see what marks are on it in the hope of identifying !
Thanks for that :cheers:
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline hezzel

• Matching numbers 383 Magnum ,727 at and 3:23 rear
« Reply #108 on: January 23, 2008 - 03:18:12 PM »
Really nice score  :2thumbs: hope he finds a lot more for you in his "cellar" :money:
1971 Dodge Challenger R/T
2019 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
« Reply #109 on: January 23, 2008 - 11:38:00 PM »
LOL, thanks. You know what surely has happened, the chappie assemblig the grille held it upside down and then rivited the oval frames accordingly.
The badge is not only upside down but in the wrong corner! It should be bottom right.

Thanks Mike. I hope to get a good deal on the rest of the stuff too.

I bet somebody got that grille for free back in the day as it was written off as a defective part. I have gotten all kinds of things through the years working at a dealership this way.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #110 on: January 25, 2008 - 07:48:06 AM »
Thanks guys for your good hearted wishes (on my shopping spree) :grinyes:
On the grille, as you said JS27NOB who knows, maybe you are right, but this guy certainly did not know that it was upside down !!
As mentioned when I went home, I checked all corners and eventually found it. It is a genuine one :ylsuper: See photo of Chrysler stamp & part number?
As for more parts, well hazzel your good wish has been answered, although in a modest but good way. See photo below of goodies and all in Mopar boxes and propper stamps on the parts themselves. Although not everything is correct for me, but will eventually be put to good use. Items are a heater valve (what model car?), new door handle, clock, rear right R/T moulding & clips, fender indicator lights, headlight switch (chrome head but rest is identical to mine), windscreen washer pump, condenser, Covertible top switch, and used left headlight frame. Also included was a set of spark plug wires. Are these any good?
He also showed me a new carter carb - not interested, and 3 Cuda stop lights (I have no Cuda)! If anyone is interested, let me know.
It was a tough bargain for me this time, paid $264 for the lot !!! (The top switch alone was quoted to me close to $200).
He promised to keep looking for more goods. Keeping fingers crossed! Oh, I forgot to mention, also gave me an orig steel wiper blade.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008 - 07:53:42 AM by Challenger_7 »
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #111 on: January 25, 2008 - 08:43:18 AM »
Now for the "WIP" (work in progress) report, stripping is still taking place with more areas needing attention showing up. Looks like the rear fenders may require replacemnet if I cannot find new lips fro them (area above the tires). Also preferably need to replace the rear window filler panel. Any one knows where to find any of these? Year One has the filler panel but for a coupe and believes that it can be modified to fit. Will have to ask their tech dep for that, but leaving this option till last.
Now something awkward showed up, enforcement pieces of metal, angle irons, welded on the insides of each front fender. See 3rd photo below. Should there be any kind of enforcements there? Please any photo or part description that I can check on.
On my personal work, I did nothing to the car as I was busy putting together my 72 Camaro dash. This car is restored but was adding an A/C to it to drive during hot summer days. Before you ask, here are a couple of photos :bigsmile:
Now off to the week end in a couple of hours and will log on again on Monday. You all have a lovely one.
Farouk
« Last Edit: January 25, 2008 - 08:48:19 AM by Challenger_7 »
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #112 on: January 25, 2008 - 08:48:33 AM »
I have sent you an email about the Cuda taillights.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #113 on: January 25, 2008 - 10:59:54 AM »
tried sending a PM, very frustrating so here is what i intended to send you:

what an amazing deal!! anyway, that water heater valve is correct for 71 with A/C which if you are not going to use, let me know.

and do you have a better pic of the quarter chrome? i have been searching for the chrome that does NOT have a body line stamped into it.

any plans for the dash clock and wiper bottle motor?

you wound up with a few pieces that are even hard to find here!
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #114 on: January 25, 2008 - 02:43:43 PM »

Now something awkward showed up, enforcement pieces of metal, angle irons, welded on the insides of each front fender. See 3rd photo below. Should there be any kind of enforcements there? Please any photo or part description that I can check on.

Farouk

Yes that is correct for your car. Travis has a couple of good shots of this area http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28465.60 and http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=28465.45 Pges 4 and 5
great score on the parts get all you can & I hope you get more....
Cheers SS
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #115 on: January 25, 2008 - 06:57:46 PM »
Hey Farouk,
Can you send me a list of what Barracuda bits are left please buddy.  You can send me a personal Message if you like.  :2thumbs:
Kenny.
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #116 on: January 28, 2008 - 09:21:08 AM »
tried sending a PM, very frustrating so here is what i intended to send you:

what an amazing deal!! anyway, that water heater valve is correct for 71 with A/C which if you are not going to use, let me know.

and do you have a better pic of the quarter chrome? i have been searching for the chrome that does NOT have a body line stamped into it.

any plans for the dash clock and wiper bottle motor?

you wound up with a few pieces that are even hard to find here!
Hi Wally, back from my week end, hope you all had a nice one. :D
It looks like your PM messages did come through, but I was away from the computer, thats why you did not hear from me.
Thanks for the information about the parts.
Actually, my aim is to use anything I can get to either replace what I have on, in case it is not an original, or seeing I am restoring, then to have it new. ALso remember I have another 71 R/T which needs restoration (much rust on it) but requires practically no parts that I have noted (other than mechanical and normal wear and tear consumables).
As such, I might end up with some good & perfectly useable parts that I may be willing to let go of. Also from the response of the various members, I will spread the word and look for more NOS to let you all know about.
If anyone needs anything specific, let me know to try and locate, otherwise I will keep informing you of any extras I might have.
I did not understand what you mean by "that does NOT have a body line stamped into it" relating to the quarter chrome. Can you explain more to see if I can be of help.
The first item I had located is a speedo in KM not miles (See photo) through my mechanic that led me to this guy. This is perfect for my cars, seeing I am using KM. Now with this and the clock, I am tossing between using them on my R/T (which uses the same type of gauges) or going for a Rally dash to replace my current normal one on the convertible :dunno:
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #117 on: January 28, 2008 - 09:26:19 AM »
Hi Farouk,

We use Killometers down here in Australia too.  Not that we have any E-body Mopars down here with the same gauge you have pictured though.  It is a great looking gauge.  Have you got another rallye gauge cluster for the Convertible or do you have to find one.

Kenny. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #118 on: January 28, 2008 - 09:26:39 AM »
thedodgeboys Thanks for the assurance on the re-enforcements and the photos of Travis's car. For a minute I thought more improvisations by our local boys !!
Kenny I will check out what other stuff he has for Cudas and will let you know. ALso if you are looking for something in specific, let me know.
Farouk
71 Chally Auto 400

Offline Challenger_7

« Reply #119 on: January 28, 2008 - 09:36:17 AM »
Hi Kenny. Yes of course you do use KM too.
At the moment I do not have another cluster, but it should be easy to find a good one, and then I will dress it up with a new "face" or what ever you call it.
One thing might be of interest to me if you can find, is a 240 KPH gauge like my old one. You see, the R/T which is almost 100% original and has a build sheet, did not come with a rallye dash. That is why I am considering changing it over to the convertible and putting the orig gauges back on the R/T which are correct with what I have on the convertible.
However, the speedo on the convertible is only 200 KPH and I would love it if I can find one with 240 KPH in that style (photo below), that is if it does exist :dunno:
71 Chally Auto 400