Author Topic: Barracuda, Challenger - soon, just memories.  (Read 1949 times)

Offline alphabuck

• Pics of my project
Re: Barracuda, Challenger - soon, just memories.
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2007 - 10:51:56 AM »
i agree with 426hemi about the quality issues.  my first car was a 73 challenger.  i bought it in 1980 for what amounted to about 300 bucks.  this thing was a 2 owner car with less than 100k miles.  floors shot, quarters shot, trunk shot, top of fenders full of holes vinyl top bubbled etc. basically the car was junk after 7 years on the road.

i dont think you can overlook the effects of the oil embargo on the demise of these cars.  circa 1973 people like my parents who would have never considered owning anything other than an 8 cylinder starting viewing 6 cylinder cars as an option.  i think if you could have bought an ebody with a slant 6 and a stick in 74 they would have been every bit as popular if not moreso than the dusters and valiants and darts.  those things werent exactly built like a brickhouse either. few of my friends had them in high school since you could buy a 6 year old rust bucket scamp on just about every corner for 300 bucks

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2007 - 10:57:39 AM »
 :iagree:  The oil embargo was a big factor.  Gas went from 18 cents to about a 1.00 at that time and more people wanted something that got better fuel mileage.  That is why the e-bodies went for a song at the time.  Most of them don't get really good fuel mileage but go for muscle.  I bet the guys in charge of the Challengers and Cuda's were saying no way to making them get great fuel mileage.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2008 - 12:41:30 PM »
Visiting with my family this weekend - my dad was telling me about waiting in lines just a short time after he bought his 'Cuda in 73.  They had a five-gallon maximum purchase at most stations, and he was always arguing it - "How the hell far can I get in a 340 'Cuda on 5 gallons!"

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008 - 12:58:27 PM »
We did not have limits where I lived.  But the prices of gas made the E-bodies go down in value for a long time.  then they got to where you could not find them and the prices went up.
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon