Author Topic: Theoretical question  (Read 1353 times)

Offline backtobasics

Theoretical question
« on: December 28, 2007 - 09:41:39 PM »
Off the wall question, but something that is is kind of messing with me.   Beware, a little long..... :blah: :blah: :blah:

I have my Challenger.   I have had it for years.  While it is special to me, it is not what I would consider my #1.   I bought it for its value, and I have enjoyed owning it.  I am working to get it back on the road.  I am trying to be able to drive it on the Power Tour. 

I have a family friend that I have known for years, 25 to be precise (I am 33)   He dated my mom when I was a kid, and we have kept in touch, more him and my little brother, but still kept the contact.

He is paying my little brother, to fix up his project vehicles right now. He has worked hard, and could already be retired.  He also inherited some $ from parents, and I gather it is substantial.   He has 11 or so GM trucks that he is working on.  He just took a lease on a building with many bays, and paint booth, and he is talking to brother about getting my Challenger over there.  While I am stoked at the possiblity of a big work area with all the tools, etc at my disposal, I am a little torn.   My concern is this.  I am willing to bet it gets worked on while it is over there.  I am OK with little brother spending some time on it, as he owes me, so to speak, for financial and credit damage when he was a 18 yr old punk that didn't want to work, and I carried him.  Little bro is very talented, and does good work.   But I am betting the other guy is going to have his body guy, at 20.00 an hour, working on my ride, inbetween projects . This is where I am concerned.   I am not worried about the work, but more the idea that he is paying someone to work on my ride.    I have always made my own way and this is hard.  On one hand, progress, would be AWESOME.  On the other, I am not sure I am comfortable, with the other guy spending any time, cause I am surely not in a position to pay him for his time, and it is stuff I could do, abeit a bit slower then a veteran body man. 
This guy owes me nothing.     I know I am the type of guy who would work on a friends ride if it was in my way, and I didn't have anything to do, but for him to be paying someone else, is wierd.

To complicate things further, the new location is retail prime, and the guy (not brother) has been contacted, by a Challenger owner no less, to do restoration work.  This could lead to a career change, as I would love to work on cars, restoration, for a living.  Knowing the guy, I doubt his motive is to use my car, fixed, as a business card, but it appears he intends to start this as a business, that further funds his toys.   

Do I concern about this as much as I am, or move the Challenger over there, into a NICE working spot, and accept any progress other then my own and call it good?

:dunno: :clueless: :1zhelp: :blah:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007 - 09:45:05 PM by backtobasics »

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Theoretical question
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007 - 09:46:36 PM »
I think if you are a bit uncomfortable you should tell the owner of the new shop your delemma and work out a working plan that will fit both your bills.  But make sure that the little bro does his bit for repayment, so to speak. :roflsmiley:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2007 - 10:00:22 PM »
My first hunch... your car half taken apart and on the back burner for 3-4 years. Seems to be you could open a BIG can of worms here. ever heard the saying "no good deed goes unpunished" ?

Granted it always nice to get some things done .....  :dunno:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

nivvy

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2007 - 10:07:36 PM »
I think if you are a bit uncomfortable you should tell the owner of the new shop your delemma and work out a working plan that will fit both your bills.  But make sure that the little bro does his bit for repayment, so to speak. :roflsmiley:

:iagree:

Say something or be stressed and pay for it....

Offline backtobasics

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2007 - 11:41:17 PM »
Let me clarify, that I have complete faith in my brother, and no concerns whatsoever, in regards to him.  He is the one that is offering it, I get the feeling (and brother echos) that he now has the means to play with his toys, and he wants to be around people who are into the hobby/enthusiasts.   His wife would have NOTHING to do with this in any way, and daughter might like to drive a vehicle now and then, so I get the impression that a lot of it comes down to comradary(sp).  Discussions of Power Tour have him excited about fixing and enjoying his rides, so I am not the least bit worried about coming back trying to charge me.   This is more of a "bring the car over, work on it when you can, and some of the body work might get done while it was here, inbetween other jobs" type of thing.   He is the closest I have to a father figure, so I have NO concerns of being done wrong, just more the idea that I take care of my own stuff, pay my own way, and feeing odd that he might be paying out of his pocket to have the body guy work on my car.....?

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2007 - 06:30:21 AM »
That is what i was trying to say back to you.  I did not think your brother would be a problem by the jokingly way you mentioned your relationship with your brother.  :2thumbs:
 The one thing, would be, to tell whom ever owns the shop that you would not be comfortable with the Tradesman/Bodyman working on your car and him paying.  Tell him the shop cars come first and you would feel better if he, your brother, was the only one to work on the car as you do not want to feel or look like a free loader to the Tradesman/Bodyman. :misbehaving:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2007 - 08:49:21 AM »
For me the biggest thing would be to get clarification from your friend as to what exactly his plans are with your car.  Like you mentioned before, he might like to use the finished product as a "sign" for his shop.  Maybe you could work a deal where you could allow that for people that might walk in, but with the understanding that only you or your brother do the work on the car.  Hopefully he's not trying to get your car in so he can then jump on it kind of behind your back.  One problem I see could be that if he suddenly gets real busy, and needs all the space in his shop for customer cars, what will happen to your car?  Hopefully he is genuine, and this sounds like a great opportunity for you, but I would just make sure everything is clear before you move it in.

Offline backtobasics

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2007 - 04:10:27 PM »
I could care less if he uses his as a representation of the work of his shop, especially if I go work there.  That is a ways away, but still.
Were he to get burried, and need space, it could go back home, in the garage, on the jackstands where it is now..... :working:

Offline Katfish

• Resident
  • 70 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007 - 04:39:50 PM »
Why not go for it.  Just have your brother keep an eye on things, if you feel uncomfortable you can bring the car home.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007 - 07:07:43 AM »
It sounds like you have nothing to lose and might get your car done quicker.If he wants to help nothing wrong with accepting his offer IMO.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi