Author Topic: Electric Water Pump  (Read 8972 times)

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
Re: Electric Water Pump
« Reply #45 on: January 01, 2008 - 01:29:03 PM »
Yeah, at speed its fine and the fan shuts off.  I only have problems at slow speeds and when I'm stopped.

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2008 - 02:09:07 PM »
It depends on were the fans are, in front or in back. The car, how big the opening in front is, if it has A/C, the condenser in front of the rad. blocks the air. And how hot it gets outside.

I had just 1 fan, 18" in front but no A/C and low 80's--think thats 28 in Canada is the hottest temps it sees.

It can be done with ele. fans most of the time, the factory can do it on these new cars and trucks but it might not be cheap or easy and a reg. mech. fan would save you lots of time and money.

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2008 - 02:29:42 PM »
On my 496 Cuda I only have a small 14 inch electric fan, and it gets the job done even in summer. You might try increasing your idle speed to 1000 to 1200 rpm (may double your water pump flow when you are stopped). Also, a sealed engine compartment can prevent good cooling. My hood is vented, so more airlflow can pass through the radiator. I only have to tun on my fan 5% of the time.  I also got rid of those leather-like flaps around the suspension components as well, to allow more air to pass through the radiator.
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #48 on: January 01, 2008 - 03:22:15 PM »
The big thing too is how long you are stop. Just for 1 light its fine but you get stuck in a traffic jam for 15 mins or more, not sure if that little 14" fan is going to do it. If you live outside a big city it should be just fine.

nivvy

« Reply #49 on: January 01, 2008 - 04:55:05 PM »
not to stir things up as im always learning...but If electric anything is not good why do most people convert over from mechanical to electrical ??

Or is this just the new thing that mfg's are pushing .... Obviously if running electrical parts and no one picked HP or lowers e.t.'s no one would run the stuff??

Obviously it works.....  ???

Offline quagmire

« Reply #50 on: January 01, 2008 - 05:24:25 PM »
The number on reason electric fans are used is because its difficult to use a mechanically driven fan on a transverse mount engine.  Some cars actually have used hydraulic pumps to drive remote mount electric fans.  If you look at most of the trucks and SUV's especially diesels, they still use clutch fans.  A typical clutch fan can move like 8000cfm of air, electric fans can't even touch that without using so many fans that you are wasting money and alternator output.  Electric fans compared to a straight driven fan do yield quite a bit of a power gain, but not compared to a clutch operated one.  And for a race car that generally doesnt have an alternator fans and electric water pumps have significant gains, but not necessarily in street cars.  In the next few years the OEM's will hopefully make the switch to 42v electrical systems, then high powered electrical devices will be more feasible.  They are quickly finding out that 12v systems are just getting maxed out on cars today.  12v systems aren't as efficient because of the amount of current that must be used.  It makes them heavier, run hotter, and draw much more current.  It also hurts the durability of these parts.  Once the switch is made, expect to see tons of electrical parts being utilized including water pumps.

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #51 on: January 01, 2008 - 05:24:46 PM »
True, some cars have or are going to be having electrical power steering. Remember thou, the factory can have the ala. shut off for WOT or even reduce the changing output, say for 40 amps to 10 for a short time with these computers.

But I still can't understand what the big deal is for a .1 of a second. Heck, why not get a light weight Mopar A body like a Duster. That would save 500 lbs, you can get those cars set up to weight under 3000 lbs with a big block.

And why not run a stroker motor, you should be able to run a Duster with a 383 stroker motor it be a 496 and make 500 to 700 HP on pump gas .....http://musclemotorsracing.com/m/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=9

in to the 10's at around 140 mph in the Q, what are those Camaro's running ?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 - 05:30:31 PM by dodge freak 2 »

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #52 on: January 01, 2008 - 05:35:39 PM »
The talk was around 2000 the factory was going to switch to 42v electrical systems but it did not happen. Something about sparks and fuel and safety, 42 volts can jump a wide gap and give a strong spark. Remember they need to have a car last 20-30 years without catching fire--now who the heck would own a 30+ year old car  :grinyes:

Maybe it happen soon but I haven't hear anything, don't be surprise if 16 or 18 volts are next. 42 volts might be 50 years or more away.

Ford Motor company still hasn't been able to stop 12 volt systems in 3-5 year old cars and trucks from catching fire.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/06/16/ford.vehicles/index.html
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 - 05:41:16 PM by dodge freak 2 »

Offline quagmire

« Reply #53 on: January 01, 2008 - 05:40:10 PM »
Yeah, they've been talking about it again.  Most of those concerns have been taken care of, after all hybrids have systems that use 320v usually sitting right behind your back seat.  It'll have to happen soon, they just are avoiding it as much as possible because it will cost them money and the battery companies will have to spend money too.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #54 on: January 01, 2008 - 05:48:08 PM »
more of a fad than anything , often new alum rads are thicker & do not offer a shroud available to work with a mechanical fan
but my experience electric fans are far less efficient than a simple clutch fan & shroud  
« Last Edit: January 01, 2008 - 08:41:24 PM by Chryco Psycho »

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #55 on: January 01, 2008 - 06:06:47 PM »
I am all for Hybirds, can't wait to put in a electrical 50 HP motor on each of my front wheels  :grinno:

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #56 on: January 01, 2008 - 06:57:15 PM »
True, some cars have or are going to be having electrical power steering. Remember thou, the factory can have the ala. shut off for WOT or even reduce the changing output, say for 40 amps to 10 for a short time with these computers.

But I still can't understand what the big deal is for a .1 of a second. Heck, why not get a light weight Mopar A body like a Duster. That would save 500 lbs, you can get those cars set up to weight under 3000 lbs with a big block.

And why not run a stroker motor, you should be able to run a Duster with a 383 stroker motor it be a 496 and make 500 to 700 HP on pump gas .....http://musclemotorsracing.com/m/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=9

in to the 10's at around 140 mph in the Q, what are those Camaro's running ?

See, Dodge Freak, once again we get back to power to weight ratio. That's what it is all about. That's why those little turbo civics are running 10's in the quarter. They weigh 1800 pounds.  Also, its not that .1 seconds is such a big deal, but when you do 15 mods that each give you .1 seconds, pretty soon you're doing 1/4 miles in the 12 and 11 second range. My Cuda looks stock, but I have the weight down to almost 3200 pounds. Add 600 hp to that, and you have some serious fun! I really don't want to get beat by a Civic
72 Cuda, owned 25 years. 496, with ported Stage VI heads, .625 in solid roller, 254/258 at .050, 3500 stall, 3.91 rear. 850 Holley DP, Reverse manual valve body.

1999 Trans Am, LS1, heads, cam, headers, stall, etc! Love to surprise the rice rockets with this one. They seem so confident, then it's "what the heck just happened?"

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

Offline dodge freak 2

« Reply #57 on: January 01, 2008 - 07:17:22 PM »
I went the wrong way with my ride, was lighting it up for years, rip the A/C out-everything, even the part by the header core. But then the loud stereo bug hit me, put in a super heavy 12" woofer, amps, speakers everywhere,  4 on the back deck, mid rangers in the doors, up in the front dash got 2--windshield made it super hard to make the holes for it otherwise it would have 4 too....but it still seems quick and I can "keep up" with these young punks while stop at the lights  :bigshades:

Offline cudabob496

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #58 on: January 01, 2008 - 08:52:11 PM »
I went the wrong way with my ride, was lighting it up for years, rip the A/C out-everything, even the part by the header core. But then the loud stereo bug hit me, put in a super heavy 12" woofer, amps, speakers everywhere,  4 on the back deck, mid rangers in the doors, up in the front dash got 2--windshield made it super hard to make the holes for it otherwise it would have 4 too....but it still seems quick and I can "keep up" with these young punks while stop at the lights  :bigshades:

Hey man, we all gotta go with what floats our boat. That's the fun of hot roddin. You build your own ride just the way you like it! MoPower!

2011 Kawasaki Z1000

nivvy

« Reply #59 on: January 01, 2008 - 09:05:33 PM »
I love demons and darts.... light weight street killers...  :burnout:

I have often thought of trading my car for one but in the long run my challenger is simply just worth more!!!  :2cents: